Pretty unfair review

Answered!
Meiyin0
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Pretty unfair review

I host a guest left a negative review for me. I worked pretty hard to host and got this unfair review.

First, she complaint there is no towel. I told her she didin't check house rule, I do not provide towel for my place and there is no other guests complain about that too.

Second, she complaint the location is not convienient. Before she booked it,  I told her my place is 5 miles away from her conference and 15 mins drive to airport, that all the plaza are around 30 mins walking distance and around 5 mins driving distance, she said she is ok with that, she can uber it. (They are all in the message I already made a screenshot) And after she left she complain the location is not convinient 🙂 How intersting!

Third, she complaint about the hot water. That is the only thing I felt sorry. She didin't tell me the first night. I didn't realize the issue. and even when she told me in the message she said water is not hot enough it is luckwarm. And true thing is, it is luckwarm not the "cold" as she described on the review to show how petty she is.

Fourth, she complaint about my place is very dirty. I felt super angry about that. I am having a 2b2b comdo, and always living by myself, no one uses the guest restroom for a while I admit that might be a little dusty. But, very dirty???? That is not what I am living at! 

I tried but still struggle to post all the communication message I got. But faild. I screenshot all the communication mesage.

She left me around all on star in the end. I don't know what to say just felt so hurting.

Anyone has the same issue? And how I can protest this using all the evidence?

Or any suggestions? Or just told me if I am wrong or how I can improve it.

Thanks.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Meiyin0......Hi again Meiyin, hey I am sorry if I sounded a bit hard with my last post, not good of me to be offensive!

You sound like you genuinely want to meet nice people...and believe me you will! There are many wonderful people out there and it is a pity that you struck a 'prickly' one first up! I haven't had a difficult guest yet, and I have been hosting for almost three years, so it is not common but, I think you need realise this is your property that you are inviting people into and you need to look at each booking request as it comes to you and do some checks.

WHAT PREVIOUS REVIEWS HAVE THEY HAD?....If they have none, or very few, or some past host reviews of them are critical, they may not be ideal guests to accept when you are starting out. 'Gut feeling' comes with time and experience!

ARE THEY LOCAL OR FROM FAR AWAY?......It does not pay to host local guests! In a some instances they are looking for a place to celebrate or just plain party and property damage can happen. People who want to party do not go far from home!!

IS THE GUEST ASKING FOR CONCESSIONS BEFORE THEY BOOK? People who require something that is additional, or not in the listing description tend to make poor guests. They are more critical and often leave poor reviews. They are not like a fine wine, they do not improve as they go along!

Message them and get a feeling of what they may be like by their response? What is the reason they wish to visit and stay with you? How many people will be staying? Do they have any special needs that my require your assistance?

Meiyin these are all important things to consider when you open your door to someone strange but most of all, look critically at your house! Look at it through the eyes of a guest. What would you like to see and what would you expect if it was you that was visiting this property!

Hosting is one of the best things I have ever done Meiyin, I have met many lovely people, some of whom have become my friends, so please don't be put off by this experience but, learn from it, and you too can have an extremely rewarding and satisfying pastime!

Good luck....cheers.....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Meiyin0......Hi again Meiyin, hey I am sorry if I sounded a bit hard with my last post, not good of me to be offensive!

You sound like you genuinely want to meet nice people...and believe me you will! There are many wonderful people out there and it is a pity that you struck a 'prickly' one first up! I haven't had a difficult guest yet, and I have been hosting for almost three years, so it is not common but, I think you need realise this is your property that you are inviting people into and you need to look at each booking request as it comes to you and do some checks.

WHAT PREVIOUS REVIEWS HAVE THEY HAD?....If they have none, or very few, or some past host reviews of them are critical, they may not be ideal guests to accept when you are starting out. 'Gut feeling' comes with time and experience!

ARE THEY LOCAL OR FROM FAR AWAY?......It does not pay to host local guests! In a some instances they are looking for a place to celebrate or just plain party and property damage can happen. People who want to party do not go far from home!!

IS THE GUEST ASKING FOR CONCESSIONS BEFORE THEY BOOK? People who require something that is additional, or not in the listing description tend to make poor guests. They are more critical and often leave poor reviews. They are not like a fine wine, they do not improve as they go along!

Message them and get a feeling of what they may be like by their response? What is the reason they wish to visit and stay with you? How many people will be staying? Do they have any special needs that my require your assistance?

Meiyin these are all important things to consider when you open your door to someone strange but most of all, look critically at your house! Look at it through the eyes of a guest. What would you like to see and what would you expect if it was you that was visiting this property!

Hosting is one of the best things I have ever done Meiyin, I have met many lovely people, some of whom have become my friends, so please don't be put off by this experience but, learn from it, and you too can have an extremely rewarding and satisfying pastime!

Good luck....cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

Hi Robin,

No worries. Do not be sorry. You are so gentle and nice. I am so appreicate your response and your time.

You are definitly a experienced host. I accept all the suggestion and advice. They are so helpful.

I did learn a lot this time. At least I learn how to response to unfair or unhappy things in public. This is also helpful for communication in my real life.

I know this was just a small obstacle in my life and I have to move on.

The good thing is all the people in this community are so nice. They gave me pretty good suggestions like you.

I quited because I just realized that hosting might not be as simple as I thought in the beginning. I need more time to re think about it. I might be back sometimes.

Wish all you best. Keep helping new hosts, give them suggestions like you gave me. I am so sppreciate that.

Best, Meiyin

Jill122
Level 1
Aquitaine-Limousin-Poitou-Charentes, France

I have just had the same thing   We spent 10 hours steam cleaning every floor and rug in our 4 bedroomed farmhouse the day our guests arrived.  tea towels and towels were spotless and ironed. Our guest was annoyed that our jaccuzi is outside in the garden and thought it should have been covered. It was heated to 40 degreeas for them and we use it regularly ourt of season There are also clear photographs showing its location. The result was a complaint that floor, rugs, towels and tea towels were not clean.  It is s hurtful to be called dirty especailly when it is not true. I think the best thing we can do is carry on regardless I think inevitably there will be some tricky guests who find fault unfairly.  I know my home was spotless and I am sure yours was the same. Chimn up and carry on Best of luck Jill

Rasheeda1
Level 1
Boston, MA

Sorry about the bad review but u should always dust vacuum and change linen the day before guests arrive.