Private Feedback

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Private Feedback

Nothing steams my kettle more than guests who review listings as if they are reviewing a hotel on Yelp or TripAdvisor. The reviews are a zero sum game and pointless to put in any amount of effort- on the hosts and guests end. What does a guest hope to get out of leaving a lengthy review- good or bad? Just keep it short and simple. If it was good- wonderful! If it wasn't then remain gracious that at least you only paid a fraction of a hotel room costs, leave private feedback that is to the point and move on. We can't respond to your review and tell you the reality of the situation without it coming back to bite us.

To the point of my conversation: why do guests feel the need tell you in private feedback they wish you had certain items? Have they not realized some things aren't offered for a reason? One guest felt the need to tell me my place would be better if I had a Keurig coffee maker and black out curtains. Thats all good and well, but I never stated I offered those amenities. Thats like buying a Nissan and telling the dealer this car would be great if it had reclining seats in the back. If you want reclining seats buy the Maybach- at 10x the price!

Guests need to understand what we offer on the screen is exactly what you're getting when you arrive. Nothing more and nothing less.  Stop trying to make reality awful and marking us down in the review stage, because the listing doesn't match your expectations of what you think we should offer or what the hotel chain down the street offers.

PS. the reason I don't offer a coffee maker is because its a money losing expense and takes up space and I don't offer black out shades because people would never leave the room or at check out time.

57 Replies 57
Lucy-and-Loic0
Level 7
Lyon, France

I think coffee is a basic, but a guest asking for a specific brand of coffee maker does seem excessive.  Before we found a good coffee maker on sale, I provided a map with cafés in the immediate vicinity (still have that) and a jar of instant coffee in the cupboard for emergencies (like people who can't move without it).  I completely agree about guests suggesting radical changes of things that are clearly noted in the listing, like type of bed, blackout curtains.  My response to that would be: Ok, thanks! We'll keep that in mind. Bye!   

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I think it is sad when people travel the world and expect to find the same things they are used to have at home .

For example tourists come to Croatia and want a water cooker, electric kettle, memory foam mattrasses , wall mounted shower in a bath tub... those things are maybe common in every household in their country but here I don't know if any of my friends have it at home. The same as we don't use wok pan or chop sticks or italian moka coffee maker. 

They come here because summer is hot and then turn on AC unit on 21 C the whole day and night... why? You are here, go out and sit in the shade under the fig tree like locals , enjoj cold wine and summer. Open windows at night, close window blinds at noon.. if you want to spend your summer hollidays on 21 C you could go to Norway or Alaska 🙂

I wander why those people travel ? What's the point? When I travel I want to feel like locals, explore another culture, experience something different, otherwise there is no point to travel...

@Branka-and-Silvia0      My wife and I are the same way in our travels.

I will never go to a franchise cafe.

Always we love and need to be with the local population.

That is why we travel,  not to stay in the 5-star hotel and see the same things.

I even like to talk to the guy sleeping on the park bench, everybody has a story.

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Always enjoy ur post they are always spot on

I traveled to France 2 years ago and they don't have lifts in most of the smaller hotels in the residential areas. So I had to hike it up 5 flights of narrow stairs to the top of the building. Found out there was no AC, no tv or even a radio and that I would have to leave my room to share a very small toilet and shower stall with 3 other rooms on that floor. Craziest thing is is that I didn't complain or leave a review- good or bad. It was what it was. It was a cheap hotel in a location that was conducive to where I wanted to be.

Well put Zacharias. 

If you had complained the French likely wouldn't have given a stuff, anyway!

Actually, @Branka-and-Silvia0...

Last year the average summer temperature in Norway was about 10-12 C.... 🤣🤣🤣

Mariann 🙂

@Mariann4 uh, I know... my mum was in Norway visiting her friends one summer and was amaized how locals were walking arround in summer dresses and short sleeves while she was wearing long pants and sweater 🙂

We're vikings you know 😉

(Last summer was extremely bad. Today we've had 24 C. And my dress with short sleeves was way to much clothes...)

Mariann 🙂

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Zacharias

I agree with your hypothesis, variables add complexity and complexity adds cost,

"how does this coffee maker work", HOST TIME

"do you not have illy pods" HOST bewilderment. (40% premium cost over other brands)

“I think I've broken your coffee maker... said in a shrill voice" HOST COST.

I’m reminded of the Host with the dishwasher that one guest used a whole cup of dishwasher detergent rather than a spoon full and consequently damaged the machine, perhaps reparably.

If your hosting Tourist minimalism is the way to go in my opinion.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

eeee @Cormac0 yes, minimalisam .... and the simplest equipment possible.  We have the simplest taps , window blinds, keys, heating thermostats , stove ... nothing high tech .... but we still sometimes receive messages when guest doesn't know how to use it. And yes... everything is written in house manual but...  😛

I am seriously thinking to remove the microwave owen bc I am affraid that sooner or later someone will put something metal in it and cause the explosion.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Confusion is not only the guests' fault. It is the hosts's and Airbnb's fault too.

Homeshare...what is that?

There is this advertised ideal from Airbnb : "Share Home. Socialize with locals. We're all beautiful people"

Homeshare....Does that mean the guests share the household duties?

Homeshare....Does that mean the guests shop and cook dinner tonight for the host's household?

Probably not.

To complicate matters, how do you Homeshare a private apartment?

Obviously, there should be different expectations between a private room and a private apartment, but they are both under the Airbnb brand. 

I personally have my own ideal of what homesharing should be (simple, inexpensive, no frills, reasonably clean, camper rules) but Airbnb's insistence on 5 stars means we are not homesharing but providing hotel lodging.

@Zacharias0     It used to irk me, now I ignore it unless helpful and it does not mean an increase in cost and labor and thus nightly price.  I wonder how much more the guest would be willing to pay for a coffee-maker and black curtains, did they think about that?   But,  I'm going to play the devil's advocate here.  The crazy feedback is indicative of the culture we live in where everyone is coaxed or prodded into saying something however absurd, entitled, unrealistic or careless it is and Airbnb pushes that to the nth degree, it's data.  Is there anywhere in the review or feedback section that says  "based on what you paid and what was offered in the description".   Guests, as per feedback I have had from some, feel obliged, even put upon to write lengthy tracts because of the way Airbnb presents and words the review section and the push, push for information asking what would have made the trip better or leading them into a drilling down of what they didn't like that didn't bother them until pushed to find something for a response.  I have had guests write apologetically in the private feedback  "really sorry, I really can't think of anything, it was great", or with some humor and thought  "It was great, but I wouldn't have said no to the Plaza at the same price:)".

Or here's one for Airbnb to add for guest feedback "What amenity woud you have liked that is not offered in the listing and how much would you be prepared to pay for it"

@Ange2      cool post!