Rating system needs to be more transparent

Tania90
Level 2
Northland, New Zealand

Rating system needs to be more transparent

My star rating has gone from 5 to 4 1/2, as I have had great reviews, I have no idea why, or who is less than satisfied, which isn't very helpful when trying to rectify whatever created a less than 5 star review.

I did have one guest mention to me a hole in the mosquito net, which was subsequently fixed. Perhaps this was it ??Perhaps it was also passed on to Airbnb, who 'marked me down' as a result. 

How does the diminished star rating go back to 5 star - it isn't helpful not to pass on whatever was said to Airbnb to result in a lower rating. Things need to be totally transparent if everyone is to benefit.

Can anyone tell me how to go back to 5 star, particularly when one is about 'cleanliness' and the other 'value'. These don't look good when searching.

3 Replies 3
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Tania90 This is a case of AirBnB being darned if they do and darned if they don't. Under the new rating system that many host gripe about, if the guest gives less than 5-stars in a criterion, the system will prompt them for a reason. Presumably, so the host will not wonder about what to fix. People are complaining that the new system is encouraging negative comments because it is asking what caused the less than perfect rating. 

Under the old system, as you pointed out, it did not prompt for a specific explanation related to the marked-down criterion and left the host wondering about the low mark.

So the good news for you is under the new system the website will prompt for an explanation if a guest gives you less than 5-stars.

Tania90
Level 2
Northland, New Zealand

Hi,

I think both the old and the new systems are flawed , because while Airbnb may ask what the less than perfect rating was about, none of this is passed on to the host who is the only one who can remedy the issue. The only way the host has a clue as to some kind of problem, is that the star rating diminishes, but is never told why.The conversation needs to be inclusive, not exclusive, otherwise its pointless really.

I only knew about the issue because the guest informed me himself before he left, and I am still guessing if it is this guest that passed the comment on to Airbnb.

How  many more brilliant reviews does it take to reinstate the 5 stars ?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Tania90,

Welcome to the Community Center! It's interesting to hear your feedback about the review system. If you have an idea about how it could be improved you could post it in Host Voice and see if others agree. There is also a thread about the New Review Flow - you might be interested in having a look and joining the discussion there.

Just to let you know, I have moved your post and replies here to a new thread so that it doesn't get lost in an old thread and is easier to find. I have also given it a title based on what you said, please let me know if you want to change it!

Kirstie