Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196

Parece que salvou a nós dois.  Eu ia alugar em Setubal, e o esquema do golpe era exatamente o mesmo.

Hi, I am writing from Brazil.  We have received almost exactly the same e-mail from the same person, Maria Soledad Pena Iglesias.  Please beware about this scam you all.  They tried to rent an apartment in Setubal using the same excuses "I am in Spain to work" bla, bla, bla.   Asked for our documents and if not for those publishing these issues we would certainly be the next victims.  Thanks for the Internet.

Hi,  I had an uneasy feeling about an apartment to rent in Glasgow and i’m so glad I found this thread! 

I found the flat listing on a legitimate website (zoopla) but the landlord contacts you directly, they send me a very similar tome of email to those in this thread and said I had to pay a months rent and the deposit before I could even see it. They also told me about an agent and rental contract which I know are not Airbnb policy or procedure. 

The link did not seem legitimate as many of the page links did not click through when clicked - only the payment and questionable host profile.

The email:

Thank you for your quick reply.
At this moment I'm in Poland and can not be present to deal face to face. My job doesn't allow me to leave Poland. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training. This won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment through Airbnb( www.airbnb.com ) which is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased for their services. The reason I use Airbnb is because they are one of the most biggest rental company around the world and I really trust them. I belive that you know Airbnb.

Using Airbnb  involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct the transaction.

Using Airbnb you can see the apartment before you sign the rental contract, so you can choose if you want to rent it or not. You will make the payment for the first month of rent plus security deposit using Airbnb payment platform.
I will open a reservation on the Airbnb website and indicate you as my potential tenant.

Please let me know if you accept Airbnb and provide me with the following details for your referencing application so that I can register the transaction with Airbnb
and move forward.

Your phone number
Full name
Scan or photo of ID
The date you want to move in
How many people are going to live in my apartment
For how long do you want to rent the apartment

Kind Regards,
Kam

the link: https://airbnb.co-uk-rooms-booking-pay-9303276-52840625-check-in-now.com/1/listing/37/view-sb8oif69/...

would we say this is a scam? 

@Alice688 Oh, that's a scam all right.  First, your gut tells you it is.  Second, Airbnb does not arrange viewings of rental properties to potential guests.  Third, as a traveler, you register everything directly with Airbnb, choose your dates, send a message to the host, and enter a form of payment through Airbnb's secure site.  We hosts never "register" the transaction with Airbnb - it's all done seamlessly on their website - and while rental agreements are sometimes added, the whole arrangement is governed by Airbnb's Terms of Service for both guest and host, which is essentially a contract.

The language of these scams is always similar - too much information (why did he feel the need to tell you all that about being in Spain if it's not going to affect you at all?) followed by weird rules that attempt to sound official.  

So this is a big No.

You’re totally right I felt it in my gut it wasn’t right! Haven’t sent then any money thank god! Thank you for you response! 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Alice688 Also, look at the URL - it's weird, it's airbnb.co-uk, not airbnb.co.uk.  So that's another red flag.

That’s what I thought too! The website looked different to the legit one too! Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Richard1355
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

In Belgium: 

Hello,

I'm sorry for my late reply, I was busy with my work.  I am the owner of the apartment. My name is Maria, I moved with my family in Madrid, Spain. The apartment is located on: Kapucijnenvoer 50, 3000 Leuven. The rent price per month for the entire apartment is 500 Euro (including all the expenses: electricity, water, etc.) and the deposit is 1000 Euro.

The apartment is available only for long term period, with furniture, but I can remove it if you want. 
    The TV and internet connection is included in the rental price. Inside: washing machine, microwave, vacuum cleaner, refrigerator, stove. 1 parking space available. The apartment has a balcony.

In the beginning I have a few questions:
    - How many people stay in the apartment?
    - How long you want to stay?
    - Do you have a job or are you a student?
    - How do you pay the rent?

Best Regards,
Maria Soledad Penas Iglesias

Ofcourse, you can both register at the commune as yours official address. Please allow me to explain you how AirBnb works :

First I will need your details
- I need also a copy of your ID or passport to complete the lease agreement.
- Complete the name of the future tenant;
- Photo with the future tenant;
- Direct telephone number;
- Date in which you want to move in the apartment:
- Rental period you want to stay:
- How many person will stay in apartment:

Once I receive your details i will forward to AirBnb to make the reservation on your name.

You will not pay any additional commission or other taxes. You will pay only first month + deposit.

AirBnb will contact you with the invoice and all information. Once you receive the details you will have to make the deposit into their bank account.

We are from different countries  so this is the only option. You will make the deposit into company's bank account to show your interest and provide assurance. After the company will receive the deposit  confirmation they will send the designated agent with the keys and the documents. The agent will arrange the visit and if you decide to rent the apartment, you must sign the contract of rent.
    If you refuse the apartment, you are fully refunded in the same day. I am under contract with the company and they offer the best security methods available. I wait your answer because i have other tenants interested for the flat.

Best Regards,
Maria Soledad Penas Iglesias

Be aware of this scam: it was advertised on immoweb!

Ashley675
Level 1
Halifax, Canada

I almost just fell for this in Halifax, NS... 😞

Thanks to this thread though, I did a lot more digging than I had initially and quickly figured out it was a scam. So sorry for those of you that lost your money but I am so grateful that you all shared and helped me avoid it. I"m angry, I'm upset, but I want to help too, so here's everything I have on these **bleep**ers:

- The names they used were David Maga and Nadia Laeryden

- They said they're located in Spain on a "work contract" which had initially started in Canada and relocated to Madrid

- I even spoke on the phone with "David" -- he had a middle eastern accent, which I didn't question until I saw the photos of him -- the man in the passport photo they sent me is Caucasian and from Calgary

- The emails used were nadialaeryden@gmail.com and Airbnb Rentals <airbnb@global-management-rental.com>

Here are two of the emails they sent:

EMAIL #1:

Thank you for your interest in my apartment  (1bed/1bath) located at: 1550 Dresden Row, Halifax, NS B3J 4A2, Canada. I have attached you the pictures so you can see that is in excellent condition. My husband and I are  chemical engineers and the company we work for they had a project there in Canada that was suppose to be for the next 10 years so we decided to buy an apartment. Unfortunately the project we were working in Canada has been cancelled or it's on stand-by because of the Government of Canada. Therefore we were moved to the Europe (Spain and Greece) department where we already signed a job contract for the next 6 years. 

The rent for the whole apartment is 1045$/month utilities included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, maintenance fees, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer also included, cable and internet). In case repairs are need in the apartment the building management will help you and I will cover the costs. Pets are allowed. I'm looking for someone to rent anywhere from 3 months to 6 years or more. I know the price is below the market but I'm interested in finding the right person for the apartment that will take good care of the place. If you decide to sign the lease agreement the monthly payments can be sent through E-transfer, Bank Wire or any other payment method that is convenient for you. You can also rent the apartment furnished or unfurnished and the rent will NOT increase. 
     It's the first time I'm renting an apartment therefore a professional company will make the necessary arrangements for both us. I think it's much easier for both us. 
    I would really appreciate a description of yourself so I can make an idea who will rent the place. How many people will stay in the apartment, where do you work, how long are you planning to stay in the apartment.   
    Please reply me ONLY if you are really interested because I really do NOT have time to waste. 
    Thank you for your time! 

Regards, 
Nadia and David 

P.S.: Sorry for the late response.  Just back from vacation 

EMAIL #2 (To me, after responding to the first email with some info about who I am -- I'm VERY glad I stuck by my rule of only including information you can already find about me on the internet, like the university I go to and LinkedIn profile):

Hi again (me),

In Canada it's your legal right to check the place and verify the documents before I will receive any funds. Therefore I want to use Airbnb (www.airbnb.ca). They are an online marketplace connecting landlords with tenants and also they provide the most secured payment platform worldwide. 

Airbnb just need my approval and your information so they can proceed with the transaction. 
It's the first time for me doing a transaction like this so I want to follow the legal procedure. I can rent the apartment to you ONLY if you agree with the terms and conditions of Airbnb provided below.

-You need to provide me your information: full name (legal name that I will need for the lease agreement), mailing address (street, number, city and postal code) where you want to receive the keys and documents, cell phone number, move-in date and length of the lease agreement (e.g. 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal). The lease agreement will be a standard one from the Canadian government.  
- Airbnb will send you a notification(via email) with the transaction details and necessary documents for the rental agreement. According with the real estate laws from Canada they will also provide you with the terms and conditions of their company that you can accept or NOT in order to move forward with the payment process.
- If you decide to move forward with the payment process you need to send the amount of 2090$ ( first and last month of rent from contract) following the payment instructions provided to you.
THE PAYMENT NEEDS TO BE SENT WITHIN 24 BUSINESS HOURS AFTER YOU WILL RECEIVE THE PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS OTHERWISE THEY WILL CHARGE ME A PENALTY FEE.
- After the payment is completed you need to send the payment details to Airbnb.
- Airbnb will check the payment confirmation and I will start the shipping procedure through UPS Air Cargo.
- You will receive the package (keys, apartment documents and lease agreement) in 3-5 business days. After the keys will be delivered to your address you will have 5 business days (inspection time) to check the apartment. The inspection time will start from the moment you will be at the building.
- If you decide to keep the apartment you just need to sign the lease agreement and send a copy of the lease agreement with your signature to Airbnb. If you don`t want to keep the apartment you will receive a full payment refund including any payment fee.

I NEED TO BE SURE THAT EVERYTHING IS CLEAR FOR YOU SO PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ALL THE STEPS OF THE TRANSACTION BECAUSE I CAN NOT CHANGE THEIR TERMS AND CONDITIONS. ALSO I WILL PAY FOR THE COMMISSION AND DELIVERY FEES AND JUST IN CASE YOU HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS AFTER YOU AGREE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FROM AIRBNB I WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND FROM AIRBNB! 
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE AMOUNT YOU WILL SEND TO AIRBNB IS A GUARANTEE DEPOSIT THAT YOU HAVE THE FUNDS AVAILABLE AND IT CAN NOT BE RELEASED WITHOUT YOUR APPROVAL. I CAN RECEIVE THE FUNDS JUST AFTER AIRBNB WILL RECEIVE A COPY OF THE LEASE AGREEMENT WITH YOUR SIGNATURE.

We are now located in Madrid, Spain so if you have any other questions you can reach David any time at: +34-671-153029   (if you are calling from Canada you need to dial 011 34-671-153029) or you can email me your number and I will ask him to call you.   

Let me know if you have the funds available so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. 

Thank you!  

I hope that some of this helps someone out -- especially if you're also in Halifax! This city is full of amazing landlords and some of the best people I'll ever know -- it's very easy to become trusting of just about anyone. Anyway, **bleep**  the scammers, and wishing you all your dream apartments without any scamming involved!!!

OMG thank you so much for sharing this. I received the EXACT same email and had a gut instinct right away.  In my case it was from David & Kim.  Unreal.

Unfortunately, they're still scamming using the last name Snyder now. This was for an apartment in Jersey.

Rachel1051
Level 1
Rock Island, IL

I just want to let everyone know that some are pretty good at not "raising your red flags" by not mentioning about escrow account etc. or asking you to pay them through something off of airbnb. Instead this guy I encountered specified that all transactions are through airbnb website BUT they actually redirected me to a fake page that looks EXACTLY LIKE AN AIRBNB LISTING PAGE. The catch tho is that their url bar on top of page is not like the actual airbnb website ("Airbnb, Inc" in green) instead clicking to look at the url closely it is some sort of spinoff eg. airbnb.co.[yada][yada][some numbers] and so on. Their book&confirm page also looks slightly different but good enough to pass under unscrutinized eyes!

These people are getting really good at this so please be extra extra careful! 

Kaja17
Level 1
Kraków, Poland

I am so happy I've found this thread. I felt uneasy about a rental offer I received via Gumtree.pl in Poland from a certain Pola Wade, supposedly a UK resident. All the details of our correspondence are actual copy+pastes from what you have already posted here, so I won't be elaborating on the sums, arrangements and other stuff. It's just so fortunate that before I decided to send her any money (and she required thrice the rent that, by the way, was very low as per local conditions) I googled Airbnb longterm rental terms, etc. and I found this site. Since I wrote to her about what I found out informing that I intend to report the whole matter to the police, she hasn't responded again. So if you receive an email from plowase @ gmail.com, be sure it's a scam. And I actually think we should report such things to proper state agencies, someone has to do something about these scammers!

Carlos1544
Level 1
Riverside, CA

Scam alert. Here’s the email I got after I responded to the listing. 

“Hello again,

Thank you for your reply. The place is still available for rent and to move in right away. I want to tell you that i want to use Airbnb services For this long term rental. They will be in charge of everything (viewing, lease sign, maintenance, repairs etc), so both of us are safe and secure. I prefer this way since we dont live in the US anymore and we really want to find someone to rent this place for long term. We are relocating in Spain and we want to remain here in Spain for undetermined time(our daughter lived in the place for about 2 years). If you wish to continue, i will need your full name so i can start the transaction and Airbnb will contact you with all the steps and instructions you need to follow in order to view the property and sign the lease.

More details, rent price is $1,000 monthly with all everything included(electricity, parking, water, cable, internet). Also, it can be rented furnish or unfurnished and you would be allowed to bring your own furniture. The price is for the whole place and this is not a shared rental meaning that you are going to rent for yourself and not sharing with strangers.

looking forward for your reply.

Regards,

Jose Luis

Shashank13
Level 1
Jersey City, NJ

I was also recently contacted by someone posing to be owner renting out property in jersey city, NJ, USA but living in Canada. Few things threw me off from the very beginning:

1) The email was not actually from apartments.com which is a legit website but similar-looking another domain: leads-rk2mxzx8uz42@apartm-ents.com

2) Name of the owner: Anna Stark (lol, this pretty much gave it away)

3) Rent of 2bhk property much less than even a studio in the same building. too good to be true.

However, I kept the conversation going because there was no harm until they ask me for any sort of payments and I wanted to see how this game plays from here on. So finally I received the email today I was waiting for:

The rental procedure is very simple. I just have to open a reservation via Airbnb and register you for an inspection. For this, I'll need your contact details (name, address, phone number). Then you will receive an invoice from Airbnb with all information about reservation and payment instructions to secure the property. You will have to send the payment for the first month of rent and the security deposit to Airbnb. The payment is a simple formality and by paying you are not obliged to rent the property, as Airbnb only wants to verify your identity and to have a confirmation that you have the funds available if you decide to rent the property. Once you have confirmed the payment, you will be contacted by Airbnb to schedule a suitable date and time so you can view the property. You will meet an agent who will show you the property on my behalf and who will also help you with all the necessary formalities to become the new tenant. 

If you will be satisfied with the apartment, all you have to do is to sign the rental contract and Airbnb will release the payment to me. I'm quite confident you will like the apartment, but if not, you still have the option to cancel, and get your full payment back from the agent, immediately.