Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Replace the individual star ratings with a simple thumbs up or down, as in would you recommend/not recommend this guest/host? Eliminates all the issues with getting a 4, or 5, or only a 3. Was is good? Thumbs UP!

Very very simple and streamlined.

71 Replies 71
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra126.....Great comment Sandra and long overdue. The whole star rating system is a farce....it is not worth taking any notice of because it does not reflect the quality of the listing, the host or the guest.....it just reflects some expectation that is being placed on both!

Keep it simple, as you say, thumbs up or thumbs down....and let the reviews determine how desirable a listing is.

Marie-Claire3
Level 5
Waltham, MA

Totally agree, and do you know that it's also extremely unfair because hosts never get to see guests' star ratings, only the reviews?--a very lopsided system!  There will always be guests who never give a 5 stars because that would mean utter perfection, and obviously nothing is ever perfect.  When in a rush, I give my guests honest reviews (98% deservedly excellent!) and I don't even bother to fill in the stars--makes no difference to anybody anyway....

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I rate this suggestion 3.5 stars. 

Terra3
Level 3
Denver, CO

I think it should be **bleep** for tat, if hosts have star rating we should be allowed to see star ratings for guests also. For instance, if cleanliness was only a 3, I may reconsider hosting that guest. 

Stephan2
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Not agree, want to see the diffferences between a normal listing and a superb one. I have another idea to replace the system; https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Review-maximum-10-stars-instead-of-5/idi-p/206447

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Terra3, I think the point is to ask Airbnb to revamp the ratings system, as it isn't an adequate reflection of a stay. hosts are pushed by Airbnb to get those 5 star ratings,  and "punished" if they don't, subsequently there isn't much truth in any of it, as then hosts are also afraid to post an honest review of their guests.

If the thumbs up/thumbs down seems too simplified, how about leaving sub categories like cleanliness, which is the most important one in my opinion, communication, accuracy in place, but dispense for with the "overall experience"  and the "location" ratings:

"overall experience" is the one used by Airbnb in their algorithms to "judge" a host,  but also most prone to being "wrong", as numerous hosts have pointed out they received 5 stars across the board, but then only 4 for overall experience.

the "location"ratings is also prone to misinterpretation: if a host has accurately described the environment for their place, why punish then with a low rating if the neighbourhood isn't in a park like settings? up to the guests to study that ahead of time. If not properly disclosed, the host would get lower ratings for accuracy. Usually, the location setting is also reflected in the price charged, so I see no need to have it listed.

Terra3
Level 3
Denver, CO

@Annette I don't disagree with you a bit, I think hosts are too harshly judged and there isn't a rating system in place for guests. Also I agree on the rating system being arbitrary in some instances such as how the ratings for overall experience, location, and value (in my opinion) can be misleading.

Also I know when I was new to airbnb I was hesitant to review a guest harshly, but I am trying to be very honest in my reviews with the experience I have gained.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Stephan2, I gave yours a thumbs up, the most important thing for me is that the system gets reviewed. But if there is a 10 star system, the danger is for Airbnb to rate everything below a 10 as a less good listing, which is what currently happens with getting a 4 star.

Anyway, glad it is causing discussion, the more the merrier as we might get better ideas with more contribution.

Let the comments that guest's leave speak for themselves. Get rid of the stars.

Valerie40
Level 2
Big Pine, CA

I agree!!! Also the pressure from Airbnb to be a perfect 5 star is too stressful for me. I am taking a very long break after 56 bookings in the last 3 months I am burnt out. Not from the guest but from the stress put on me by Airbnb. I had a 90% 5 star rating and one guest rated 3 star in every catagory. I have been climbing out of the low rating slowly but the negativity from Airbnb is not worth the stress. 

I agree, because right now 5=Pass and 4,3,2,1 = failure in varying degrees. So it's exactly the same, except simpler.
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The status of this Idea has been changed to Popular. Ideas that receive 20 or more Thumbs up from the community within the first 7 days of being published become Popular. The Popular Ideas with the most Thumbs Up are reviewed closely by the Airbnb product team. In reviewing these Ideas, the original post and comments from the community will be considered. Thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful Idea that resonates with the community.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

James217
Level 2
Fairfield, IA

But then the host does not really know what they need to do to imporove. And this system reminds me of Ancient Rome. Should the gladiator slice off his head or not??? Kinda brutal.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@James0: but the chase for those 5 star ratings seems much more brutal, and quite arbitrary. After we all did hosting for a while and have ironed out all our little kinks, we really don't need that much in feedback anymore, we know what we are doing, I dare say.

and as often discussed , quite often those ratings are not a true indicator anyways, as hosts and guests alike usually give nice-nice reviews, but Airbnb comes down on hosts who don't get those 4.8 reviews all the time. 

Mary-Ann0
Level 10
Sun City, AZ

I agree!  AND it would be much more accountable if guests give a thumbs-down - then have to give an explanation explaining WHY they gave a thumbs down or the thumbs-down does not get counted.  Now THAT would be helpful - AND hosts should be able to respond to it if they want - like they do now.

Thank you very much!