Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Replace the individual star ratings with a simple thumbs up or down, as in would you recommend/not recommend this guest/host? Eliminates all the issues with getting a 4, or 5, or only a 3. Was is good? Thumbs UP!

Very very simple and streamlined.

71 Replies 71
Lannie0
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

Agree!

Valerie40
Level 2
Big Pine, CA

Yes!! Star system is so stressful. Thumbs up or down would be so nice.

Ernesta3
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Agree!

Pauline106
Level 3
St. John's, Canada

AirBnB really has no way to control hosts except by pressuring them with ratings. They are afterall a website that brokers peoples' listings. They want some control in order to make their product the be all and end all. Hence this terrible system. 4 Stars is Excellent in most peoples' books except AirBnB's. Hense the problem.  Come on AirBnB, 4 is OK in my books and in most other peoples', it should be in Yours! If you believe that 4 is unsuitable, tell guest that only a 5 star rating is acceptable without repercussions to the host.

Location is a real problem. People have the ability to check out where they are going before they book. ie google will allow you to see the house and its neighbourhood. Guests are also given a map via AirBnB and an explanation by the host, yet many end up not satisfied with the location they choose. This category is problematic and I don't know how to recommend how to fix it.  It depends on what people want to do. My home is in town central, which is good for most, but if you plan on walking downtown everyday you may not be satisfied with the location. The category is so subjective and dependent on guest due diligence that it is almost useless.

Cleanliness on the other hand is an important category to guests and hosts. I take that category very seriously and if I see anything but a 5 I go looking for the reason to fix it immediately. 

Julie142
Level 7
Florence, Italy

It is a great idea. Even Netflix switched to this. 

Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

One simple improvement would be for the message that the guest gets to initiate the review could contain guidelines.  If the guest knew that 5 stars was really meant for when everything met expectations, it might help consistency.  I think some people think 4 stars is fine and don't know how much it can hurt a host.

Moiz2
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

I feel the current host rating is flawed due to multiple reasons:

1. The stars are interpreted differently by different guests.  Some never give 5 stars.  Some think of 5 stars as "beyond expectations".

2. The bad ratings hurt the hosts more as they loose business from good quality guests.

3. The bad ratings end up hurting considerate/nice/forgiving people more.

4. The ratings cannot be changed! THIS IS JUST STUPID. THERE SHOULD BE AT LEAST ONE REVISION ALLOWED AFTER BOTH REVIEWS ARE VISIBLE.

Mike127
Level 2
Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines

Finally someone is making sense. Star ratings suck. Some guests have unrealistic expectations and rate you down because they perceive we did not meet them. They book on cheap price then expect 5 star service and free everything. Thumbs up or down is enough. Airbnb get real. We all doing our best!

Lène0
Level 3
Berlin, Germany

Agree 500%  !!!

Just had people here leaving a good reference and really bad stars with NO comments.
I asked them dureing their stay if everything was OK, if they needed anything, always smiles and everything nice, and then super bad stars. Very unfair and strongly affecting my profile.
It is not the first time, and I hate this star system! 

Mike127
Level 2

Agree. Throw out the star system!!!

Mike127
Level 2

Agree. Throw out the STAR System. It's unfair and annoying the hell out of us.!!!

Andrea1063
Level 10
Collingwood, Canada

I do not agree with a simple up or down vote - that can be abused just as easily, and ultimately means very little IMHO.

I posted this on another 'rating' thread but here it is again, assuming not everyone reads them all:

Guests do not understand the star system and many think that a 4 star is a perfecty good rating where 5 would be absolute perfection, beyond great.  

By most standards a 4 star rating is a very good rating and there isn't a business out there that would go out of business with dozens of 4 stars out of 5.  

5 Star is by many considered very elite rating normally considered by guests for top hotels and resorts.

4 stars = very good

5 stars = exceptional

I was at 96% with the old stats system and 88% on my dash which NEVER changed regardless of how many 5's I got!!  Because of one woman (candle lady) I am at 4.9% and 87% and freaking out because I NEED ABB to keep my home.  

IF ABB only wants exceptional then good luck with that, because the more you host, the higher the chances of even the best SH's eventually running into guests that dont get the rating system, are overly critical, can't or won't communicate, or just plain nasty pieces of work.  That means that hosting on ABB and maintaining your SH status becomes more and more challenging the longer you host and the harder you work.

IF ABB is going to do this then it behooves them to educate guests on the ramifications anything less than a 5 star wil have on their host ---  who opened their home to them, made time for them and put a lot of effort into the space they offer, and time preparing for their visit.    

We can do everything right, but we can not control the power of the written word and stars, and the particular personality of a guest.  You can ask people to please let you know if there is something not right while they're staying with you so you can 'fix' it ... and they still don't and use the review as a weapon. 

Reviews in the hands of some are weapons;  many reaons and one can be jealousy.  I had one like that and it was obvious by the questions they asked regarding me, my home etc.  The were in awe, and then left a rotten rating and outrageous written view with wild claims (and I mean, over the top!)  In fact, they were the worst I ever had and ABB did remove their riduculous and scandalous review and rating.  

***  IF you are a long standing SH and have dozens of 5 stars and then get a person or two who gives you less, that should be a red flag for ABB!!   Its says more about the guest than a seasoned SH with an otherwise great rating.  

I've gotten 4 stars because the person didn't like candles!  4 stars for the same bed being too soft and another for it being too hard.  I mean, come on people. 

4 stars because the room was too warm but 3 days and the guest said nothing.  

How do you protect yourself against a guest that does not communicate?  Doesn't let you know if something isn't right for them!  The answer is that you can not. 

ABB is supposed to be a team sport - that means the host does everything in their power to offer a fabulous place and experience, and a guest that does their due diligence before booking BY READING (which we know they don't)  and communicating their needs.