Security deposit

Answered!
Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

Security deposit

I have previously let my place through an agent wso I did not have to think about deposits. But, having read some of the posts here, I am wondering whether I would be wise to ask for a Security deposit. If so, how much and how does it work? Is it held by AirBnb? I haven't found details on the site of exactly how the process works. If it is there, a link to the page would be great.

Thank you

Debbie

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA
115 Replies 115
Ronda12
Level 3
Pasadena, CA

Hosts beware - soiled carpets, ripped upholstery, wood damage, counter top damage, paint, wall scraps etc are all considered normal wear and tear by air bnb and not claimable for security deposit.  Of course they don't mention this in their formal explanation of how security deposits work but you will not get paid unless the damage is very significant 

Hailey12
Level 2
Foster, Australia

I am a property manager and I manage several properties on airbnb. I have recently noticed that when I accept a booking from a guest the security deposit amount isnt showing in their quotes and totals. Does airbnb hold this even though I cant see it in the guests totals. All my listings have security deposit amounts set.

My understanding is that Airbnb doesn't hold funds against the security deposit.  I consider it to be a warning to guests that if they break or damage anything I will turn to Airbnb if necessary to get reimbursement.  Many hosts have said they think this is reasonable, as do I. Guests are already laying out a lot of money in advance, and if several hundred dollars was charged, sometimes as much as $1000.00, they might choose to book a different listing. I know I would.

Great, thanks just needed to know that I can still claim upto the amount set in case of damages.

You would make a claim through the Resolution Center, I do not think there is a limit on how much.

David

@Hailey12. Yes, you can make a claim, but if the guest and Airbnb disagree, you might not be compensated.  Always best to substantiate your claim with documentation / photos for the amount you are claiming.  Making a claim doesn't automatically mean you will receive money for damage.  

See this help article for making a claim for damages: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

@Hailey12

Nothing is held.

David

I am new to AIRBNB. I just did my first reservation and I have my $300 security deposit on the listing, but I do not see it on my bill. What should I do?

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

My personal feeling is I should be willing to accept minor damage, ruined towels from makeup, etc.  it would be nice if every penny is profit, but I am willing to write off small things.  The posted "deposit" I think is a good idea if only to make the guest aware they can be held accountable. Recently a guest broke the handle on a Revere copper bottom saucepan. (Fortunately I caught it before she left). I checked eBay & saw I could replace it for $20. I printed out the listing & gave her a note saying it would be easier for her to pay me direct to avoid "going through Airbnb." She gave me the cash. She assumed, because I list a security deposit, that Airbnb would charge her credit card if she didn't pay me. Basically I was bluffing, but it worked.

I try not to accept guests who don't have positive reviews. If the guest has used Airbnb several times I figure they don't want to get kicked off, and hopefully they don't know how difficult it is for the host to get reimbursed by Airbnb.

@Mary167 I agree.  Things break or need to be replaced.  I never sweat the small stuff. 

I do take issue, though, with your saying that you try not to accept guests without reviews.  Wow, you are missing a lot!  Probably 1/3 of my guests are brand new, first time guests and I've had great success with them.  

How would you feel of a guest said they would never book with a host with no reviews?  I assume you didn't have any when you first started, right?

Hate to tell you, but my best guests have been first timers. 

Clare, it's not that I don't accept them, but I usually contact them and ask if they are new to Airbnb.  I try to learn a bit about them, and ask them to read the listing and all my house rules.  I tell them I will do everything possible to make their stay enjoyable.  If they are anything other than a couple I ask them about the breakdown of their group to help me figure out the best sleeping arrangements for them. I realize it's often a leap of faith, but by telling guests I am here on the premises at all times I'm hopeful I discourage party types. I've never had that kind of a problem. I did worry with my second guests. The booking was made by a young woman who had positive reviews but the guest turned out to be her mother who brought along her boyfriend. Since my rate is for 2 people I couldn't say much, and I was a very new host. I have to say these were my worst guests. I'm sure they were smoking pot, and they left candles burning in every room all night. I am very fearful of fires & I couldn't sleep. Then they drove off with my parking pass, and left a mess in the kitchen. Plates of uncovered food in the fridge and trash they didn't take out.

I hear some people ask to see I.D. When guests arrive. I'm rather intimidated about doing that, though I think it's a good idea. Although I don't know what you can do when the guest turns out not to be the one who made the booking.

Well you do not have to accept a third party booking, I have very few and none I have not know about in advance, now I do not include where someone books more that one room, I have 3 rooms.

So you could have refused them just on that basis, obviously contact AirBnB to cancel their booking.

David

Thanks, David, I really didn't know how to react.  I was such a new host -- and thrilled to have bookings.  I've toughened up somewhat since then. 😄

@Mary167 Immediately upon realizing you have a third party reservation (someone booking on behalf of another) you should contact Airbnb about it since it is a violation of Airbnb's terms to book for another (unless it is a travel manager for a company enrolled in Airbnb for business).  If you have Instant Book enabled on your listing, you can cancel without penalty any third party booking.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Birgit69
Level 1
Martinsville, VA

Help! I just did my first reservation and I don't see my $300 security deposit on the bill. Does that get charged automatically of do I have to go back and ask the guest for it. I have it listed on my fees.