Security deposit

Answered!
Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

Security deposit

I have previously let my place through an agent wso I did not have to think about deposits. But, having read some of the posts here, I am wondering whether I would be wise to ask for a Security deposit. If so, how much and how does it work? Is it held by AirBnb? I haven't found details on the site of exactly how the process works. If it is there, a link to the page would be great.

Thank you

Debbie

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA
115 Replies 115

The Security Deposit is not collected nor are you allowed to collect one, a potential charge against whatever method they used to book, should AirBnb agree to make one.

David

@Birgit69 Airbnb does not charge the guest the security deposit when booking and therefor you do not receive it in a payout.  Should you need to collect for damage, you will need to file a claim through Airbnb's Resolution Center.  Here's how it works: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Hope this helps!

Clare

Thanks, Claire! I did not know that before.

@Birgit69 Most new hosts don't know this, but that's why we're here: to fill in the gaps!  Since you a new, you might want to take a look at the Community Help guides so you know how to do some things that undoubtedly will come up in your hosting career.  

At the home page of this site, click on Get Support, then select the Community Help Guides.  Great information there.  I'd bookmark it for future reference!

Janice-And-John0
Level 2
Flagler Beach, FL

Does anyone knoiw why AIRBNB is taking security deposits for hosts with out the host requesting it? They say it is for security reasons but if they think the guest is a security problem why not let the host know and allow us to cancel or not approve the request? People you need security deposits are usualy a bit scary from my 2 years as a host.

Yeah. I read in new changes of Term. But only for certain guest account. Perhad the one that not surious. And the amount will be base on listings/what you give. Something like that.

Eddy10
Level 2
Shah Alam, Malaysia

Now i remember, this item pop-up on screen before login and we have to click proceed to continue. I just read it one time.

Unless something has changed, Airbnb doesn’t ‘take’ a security deposit.  If a security deposit is listed it’s just a deterrent to inform guests they’ll be charged for any damage they cause.

I know they do not physically take the money but they can add a security deposit requirement to one of reservations if they decide, even though I do not require a security deposit, so my real question is if they think that reservation needs a secuirty deposit why?

I had a guest carve a tic-Tac-toe board in to a custom made dresser. 

I had two doctors leave food on the floor - every square inch of 4,000 sq ft. 

I had someone throw a $700 bar stool off a 3rd floor balcony. 

Fortunately, I had their deposit. No pleading with anyone to try and collect it. 

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I list a $200 deposit which I have never had to exercise.  I consider it to be fair warning to guests that if they cause damage they will be held to account.  When one guest broke wine glasses, and another broke the handle on one of my Revere copper-clad pots I had no problem getting them to reimburse me directly.  I just told them it would be easier than “going through Airbnb” and they gave me the cash.  There was no hostility.  Of course if damage is discovered after the guest leaves it’s necessary to file a claim through Airbnb, which I haven’t done.