Security deposit

Natalia311
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

Security deposit

Hi, i had a guest, more a piece of nasty being from Berlin, Christoph. Just saying cos he vanished and my review on his profile can not be seen so he will keep on going with his nasty mental state into hosts places. So he gave weed to my dog and the dog ended up in tge vet overnight flashibg the stuff so she could stand and walk and stop allucinating... Airbnb knrw about this with time to keep guests deposit which would have covered partially the cost. I paid 192 euros. The deposit not sure if went back to guest or Airbnb kept it an I am not aware of it. Everything is possible. An agent from Airbnb told me I could request from the insurace that can cover upto 800.000 euros(?). I got in touch with a Manager called Jason. His emailed seemed totally robotic requesting vet's bill within 7 days. I did so and no acknowledment has been made. I called the to see what the situation was and anothr exhausted robot said that a Key Manager was dealing with it and I has to wait. I mentioned tgat the reason I was calling what exactly because of that same reason, that I had been waiting. The exhausted robot said I had to wait. How long I asked, he said within 24 hours. It sounded like and improvised response. The incident happened on the 2nd of May and today we are 20th. In so many days Airbnb is as vqnished as the disgusting guest. Same behaviour to be honest.  So what are deposits for? For hosts damages or to build interests in Airbnb' business. Bare in mind that if an animal, a child or any inocent being in the house , Airbnb does not respond. The 7 days that tgey say it takes to resolve the issues is not truth and they will treat your case of damages to health as a cheap broken plate. I am stopping bookings as from today and certainly will work on creating awareness so people can think twice before becoming a host. The dog recovered and for me that is the main thing but after the experience now I know, and you should know, YOU ARE ALONE IN THIS. Deposits are pointless and once hosts get to know this will be a chaos!!!

10 Replies 10

@Natalia311

These claims do take time and yes, you do need to be patient. Airbnb receives many claims every day and there are time consuming procedures they have to go through to make sure that any claim is in fact honest and true. Unfortunately like the majority of Insurance Companies Airbnb does receive false and fake claims and as such the process of dealing with each claim now takes longer. It can be stressful,yes and you can have a bit of a runaround unfortunately.

My advice to you is be patient. You have made your claim. It is in the system and waiting for approval.

Experience tells me that if people are rude or impatient with the Airbnb staff they tend to put you further down the queue.

Send a message every few days politely asking them how the claim is progressing, just to show that you yourself have not given up.

Meanwhile, spend time with your dog  and ..all guests are not like that (crazy) man

Airbnb does not actually take any deposit from the guests ..it is more like a pledge to pay damages up to an amount if required..but there is no guarantee a guest will pay.. when you fail to receive any payment for damages from any guests this is the Host Guarantee they are talking about ...

https://www.airbnb.com/guarantee

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee

Saludos

Hi Mike, so you confirm what I though. Deposits are pointless and if I guest knows that hosts are in the most vulnerable position. As for being polite. I am being polite but no beating around the bush either. It is what it is and that can come across as being unpolite. As for being patient. Yes, but when you do get NO ANSWER at all, it is rude. That is rude, Mike. That is no customer service. Alsi, if these things take time, don't send emails confirming that these matters are resolved within 7 days.  Just say that you will study the case and will be un touch as soon as possible. I totally understand that there must be a huge waiting list for damages....I am not gonna put as a mission to harass airbnb staff every few days. If the pay, they pay and if not, they don't. Chasing is not how this should work, Mike, and I am sorry you understand things that way. In the mean time " spend time with my dog" (?). That sarcasm on your part ( no all the Airbnb team) ,reflects so much about Airbnb's customer service skills. Mike, saying that you really damage Airbnb's image. Hosts as well as guests read all these messages. Your input has provided nothing positive and the sarcasm is palpable.  In the mean time I am raising awareness , no just throgh this path, to other hosts and people in general and I block my calendar 's dates. And of couse, following your wise and well mannered advice,  i will spend time with my dogs. Have a nice one Mike and forgive my lack of submissiveness!

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Natalia311,

When you leave a review and the guest doesn't, your review will appear on their profile 14 days after they check out. If a guest reviews you and you don't review the guest their review will appear on your profile and listing page 14 days after checkout.

Note that reviews on a profile may not be in chronological order and can be grouped on different pages by the language it was written in.

If it's already more than 14 days after checkout and your review isn't visible on the guest's profile it may be that was removed. Airbnb will do that if a review goes against their content policy.

Content policy

Hi, thanks. Did not know about the 14 days. So if Airbnb removes my review from this nutters profile, he can keep on going around as a guest under the same account? . Did I understand correctly?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Natalia311  Your poor puppy!  What a terrible, senseless thing to do to a dog.  I hope all is well now.  Animal cruelty is illegal in the US but I am not familiar with Spanish law.  Is this something that you would report to the authorities?  I agree that getting a claim through Air BNB process is cumbersome at best, especially when the claim is as unusual as your claim.  I think it would be helpful to your claim if there was a police report.  How do you prove it was the action of that particular guest?  Did the guest accept or deny responsibility?  

Other booking sites allow the host to collect the security deposit and it is up to the host to fairly return it if there is no damage.  From the guest's perspective, they report host abuse of this and the Air BNB third party process of the security deposit is attractive to guests.  Given you have over 50 reviews I would imagine this usually works for you, so it is too bad it is not working now:P

Natalia311
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

Linda, no, did no reported. I asked the couple to leave because the piece of work went through my wardrobe to find a hairdryer and then told me i hide the hairdryer so he would not spend electricity :), i mean, the guy was a continous sea of ideas! So when the left i went to see the dogs in my bedroom and noticed one of them in a highhhhh!. He was gone. Did message him straight away but his girlfriend played the innocent role of " we would never harm a being..." . I had guests other guests those days but by then they had checked out. Linda, Airbnb worked for me until this incident. But what really makes it bad is that Airbnb , even though they benefit from your space by having guests, they can not even bother to say " yes, vet bill received and nothing else is requited. We will look into your case". As simple as to let hosts ( and guests when it applies) were they stand. "And the next step in blah blah". In short, effective communication. Animal cruelty is illegal in Spain, Linda, but my point in all this is, more than worldwide tegularities on animal right, is the way Airbnb deal with these matters and, by what I read in another comment, how guests can get away with it. 99 nice guests against just one that takes the luberty of putting an elderly dog health in danger makes it no worth it. 

@Natalia311

The AirBnB system does not really offer a Security Deposit so if that is important to you you are using the wrong platform.

David

Hi David, not sure about the terminology. Security deposit I do not know. When you rent a flat, in Spain, you are ask by tge lanlord for a deposit in case by the time you leave the flat after your contract you have caused any damages to the property.  So when guests are requested a deposit in my mind the concept translate in what I have explained. I need to look into this because you may be right and I am wrong.  Still, bottom line, unprotected. An my question and huge doubt is, do hosts know that deposits are returned to them regardless of the damages they cause?. And then, why do guests are asked for a deposit?. So far apart from Steve from Limerick that has clarified a point, i do not seem to read anything related to the "deposit" concept. 

Air BNB does not collect a security deposit in the way you are used to thinking about it, @Natalia311.  They have an agreement with the guest to access the payment card for up to the amount of your listing's security deposit once a claim is adjudicated.  In your case, the issue is probably related to how you are able to "prove" these guests caused the harm to your pet, not that your pet was harmed.  In short,  Air BNB does not have the money to return to the guest but only has access to get it.  Hope this helps clarify for you.

Hi Linda, thanks for your explanation. I need to look into this properly.  As being able to prove. Unless you have an independent witness living at home, who inmediately would stop being independent :),  no damages can ever been proved...As I said, I need to look into this. And even though majority of guests are lovely and I am still in touch with several of them, one has to think of one does not want to think. Airbnb is tricky for hosts with children and animals. In general your comments reflect an attempt to normalize the incident. For me it is no normal but there again, i chose to host and nibody forced me. Now I know in my own flesh what it can be like and this system is not suitable for me. Thanks and on my side I just end this. I just wanted to explain my case for those who can really relate by having had a similar experience. Regards.