Sharing the full bath with guests

Caryn0
Level 1
Weymouth, MA

Sharing the full bath with guests

Hello,

I share the full bath with my guests. 

I keep my cat's litter box in it and my own personal toiletries.  Do you suggest I move both while I have guests in the house?  I want to have a professional look but I do live there.

Thanks Airbnb Community!

Caryn

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My view is personal items are fine but I would be a bit taken back by a cat litter tray in the bathroom....maybe that just me but feels unhygenic (which is weird when you consider what bathrooms are for!)

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Please remove your litter box. I'm usually not a picky person, but a litter box does gross me out.

I like cats, but have always had outdoor cats, cuz I hate litter boxes.

Even if you clean every day, there's always the risk that kitty kicks the gravel out onto the floor. Yick.

If you must have your litter box in bathroom, please disclose and clean everyday. You will lose my business, but you don't want my ratings...

As for your toiletries, nothing says passive/aggresive control like "This is my bathroom, because i have all my stuff strewn all over the place, leaving you to feel uncomfortable and not knowing where to put your own stuff"  I have better luck when i leave all bathroom surfaces clear. The upside is that guests usually respond by not leaving their own stuff in the bathroom (1 out of 10 do...)

I don't mean to seem harsh, but guest comfort is important and the intimacy of a bathroom is complicated. Make your life easier and clear out your bathroom or reconsider being an airbnb host.

Good luck

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I have just read your reviews - you have great reviews so obviously you are going alot right.

My harshness was unwarranted. I must assume that you do keep your personal items neatly stowed and your kitty litter cleaned daily.

Obviously, you have uncovered an irrational fear of mine ( and maybe other guests).  If I were your guest and the kitty litter was clean and fresh, I probably wouldn't mind. 

If there is room for it you could put the litter box in an attractive cabinet.  They do make them for that purpose (looks like furniture) or you can create one out of a wicker hamper by cutting an entry hole in the end of it.  Another option is to put the litter box in a bottom cabinet with an entry door.  In my old house the bathroom shared a wall with the garage.  We made a cat door through the wall and put the litter box in a large closet on the other side of the wall.

If you can't hide it you should consider putting it somewhere else.  Moving it back and forth may cause your cat some emotional distress and the cat might eliminate outside the box.

You should put your toiletries in one shelf and drawer and leave the others empty for the guest to use.  You can leave shampoo/conditioner/soap/bodywash in the shower if you don't mind the guests to use it.

Caryn,

I have greatly reflected on your predicament and now really appreciate that you were kindly reaching out for help.

I too have your same bathroom issues and hope I can ameliorate your worries.

Cat? litter box? Personal Stuff?

Don't sweat it.

Do what you want, do what you think is best.

This is the beauty of Airbnb - we are all adults making self-serving decisions amongst so many choices. As a guest, you have told me you have a cat. I as a perspective can choose to be fearful of the litter box and go elsewhere, can ask you about  the litter box, I can choose not to mind, I can choose to mind but still make the reservation or embrace your cat.s

The other super thing about airbnb are the reviews. You don't have to disclose your litter box in the bathroom - your guests will.

Hopefully they'll say "Bathroom was neat and clean. There was a litter box in there, but i didn't mind because it was cleaned out."

Of just as valid they'll say "Litter box in bathroom could have been cleaner"

Through the reviews, your course of action will become clear.

As hosts, we all get mired in the details and the what-ifs, but we should remember the airbnb dream.

We are travelers,  we are hosts, we are adults who can make choices, we are  all on an adventure.

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

"I share the full bath with my guests."
I don't, I let the water out first.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Agreed with others here.

I would relocate the litter box, if possible, and just make sure the guests have enough counter space for their own things as well.