Sheds, tiny homes, permits

Sheds, tiny homes, permits

Hi there, I'm a (hopefully) future host with plans on finishing the 12' x 22' shed on my property to rent out. It has electrical and insulation so the plan was to run plumbing and put in a bath and kitchen, much like a tiny home. It doesn't look like the structure will pass the permitting process in my county according to the contractors I've met with, so it may be a no-go, unless I choose to go ahead without building permits. Since the work would still be guaranteed and warrantied, I'm considering going ahead, though there's obvious risks. Perhaps it would be feasible (though expensive) to simply remove the existing structure and bring in a pre-fab modular structure of the same size and try to meet the county building code. I don't know, not sure if anyone has had experienced any of these scenarios, but if so, would love to hear your story. Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephanie502

I've no idea of the regulations in your area but:

Put it on wheels, it then becomes a caravan/mobile home, different regulations. Probably easier to renovate a secondhand mobile home.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Stephanie502 I’ve just started the planning process for a small camp ground with a cabin/shed configuration. 80D79DAD-785C-42E0-9583-B91736504A8E.jpeg

Home Depot has these 16X24 two story sheds. Fully permitted and installed for $23k. 

They are built out in one day and require just one week lead time to install in my area. 

You finish it with the drywall, electrical, insulation and plumbing. They sit on pressure treated 4x4, cement blocks or bolt to a slab foundation.

I think it’s super cute and it doesn’t need a full kitchen. I’m just putting in a sink, mini fridge and microwave. Also a Big bad mother honking stainless steel grill outside for cooking and it’s good to go. Check out the YouTube videos on them too. 

A host that posts on here built an island.

Honey, If a man can build an island? I can do one too but cuter. 

Make sure you do your homework and figure out if it makes sense to spend the money. 

Once you start spending money on tradesmen, that money goes FAST! It’s 5 grand here, ten grand for this and 11 grand to do this and then they find out something hidden each and every time. 

For me, it’s just easier to start from scratch and put a new cabin-shed up. They even give a 40 year warranty on it. 

Good luck.

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Thanks Rene! It's interesting that you are using this as a shell to finish out. That was my intention too. My shed is actually one like this, though only one story, but bought from Home Depot or similar. I'm told the ceiling is too shallow to hold standard insulation and would have to bring ceiling height down or replace roof, as well as some other stuff that is not up to residential standards. So your shed is evidently built with residential use in mind? Thanks again for response.

@Stephanie502 It’s permitted as a “workshop-equipment storage”. It’s very difficult to have it permitted as a live in dwelling. 

Aah, okay, that makes sense. I will have to find out what the equivalent permit is for that in my area. Thanks