Shockingly Bad Service As A Host?

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

Shockingly Bad Service As A Host?

Just wondering if I am the only one who has experience bad, if not biased services recently. I have 5 well reviewed listings and a long history of successful bookings with Airbnb. Recently I have had a lot of trouble with guests seemingly not understanding how Airnbn works. Often they will book 1 or 2 persons and show up 6-8 persons or they will expect to check in way outside our check in/check out time as listed. What is worst is when Airbnb customer service calls. They always seem to have already made up their mind as to what happened. Recently one of them was really adamant that I apologize to the customer for something we had nothing to do with and claimed I was in the wrong before even hearing my side of the story.

But the last straw is what happended today. Our villa in Bangkok has a nice big pool, but as anyone dealing with pools know, if there is adverse weather, it's not possible to keep it 100% clean or clear. Adding chemicals or getting the PH right after rain can take a couple of hours. Today the guest complained that there was a slightly green hue to the pool and that it did not look EXACTLY like it showed on the listing pictures. Mind you, the listing pictures we obviously taken on a clear sunny day. The pool however, was clear and one could see the bottom. I explained this to the customer and said, that since they had requested we clean it an extra time and adding the extra chemicals it would take a little while for it to get 100% back to normal. Nevertheless, the customer succeeded in checking out early and getting a FULL REFUND from customer service based on one picture, which actually showed the water as clear but a little dark because of an overcast day and it had been raining !!! I explained all to no avail to customer service. They said I had to write in my listing description that if it rained or was overcast the pool could look a slightly different color. Oh dear. After discussing this for a while they started ignoring me and are not answering the messages. The last message stated, that because the guest had requested I completely change the water, I should have done that. Anyone who knows about pools, knows that is not the right course of action.

I am so so disappointed with Airbnb. It seems clear that they had already decided to refund before EVEN discussing it with me. In fact when they called the first time, they basically said they had already accepted the refund without ANY feedback from my end.

I think I am taking my business elsewhere, because you can never be sure you have a booking, if customers can just cancel at a whim.

45 Replies 45
Mitchell74
Level 2
Cork, Ireland

I noticed you're blatantly belittling the customer service representatives too. Nice. Real classy.