Should I be Locking off closets?

Answered!
Maddison0
Level 2
Denver, CO

Should I be Locking off closets?

I am getting ready to start renting out my apartment a couple nights a month to off-set the high rent. Because this is my personal home I of-course have all my belongings here. I am considering putting locks on all the closets and stashing everything I do not want rummaged through in the closets. This does only leaves a dresser and one other shelving unit for guests to put their things. I will not be accepting long stays because I want to live in my house more often than not.

Do you think it is acceptable to have all my closets locked off if I make it clear in the description of my home that this will be the case?? 

1 Best Answer
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Maddison0 I will add another caution. Yes, your guests will need a place to store their clothes. Yes.

But let us talk about what you lock up and what you don't. There are reports of hosts packing their closets with items of great importance such as bank statements, mortgage documents, silver, vodka, cameras and computers. Don't leave any of these things in your locked closets! Buy a box for the trunk of your car that can hold anything that would make you weep if someone broke into your closet and took it. Seriously. That leather bomber jacket given to you by someone special? Throw it into your box.

There have just been too many reports of selective theft from locked closets.

Not all guests are good people, and that is more of an issue for hosts that are renting whole spaces. Be cautious and protect your stuff.

Best!

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

Good reminder @Robin0, the host should make their own footprint as minimal as possible, in order to provide the guests maximumk space for their things.

Shera2
Level 2
New York, NY

I have locked closet, but then guests asked me where they can hang things up. I ended up putting over the door hooks on the closet, and guests seem to be happy with that compromise!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Maddison0 I will add another caution. Yes, your guests will need a place to store their clothes. Yes.

But let us talk about what you lock up and what you don't. There are reports of hosts packing their closets with items of great importance such as bank statements, mortgage documents, silver, vodka, cameras and computers. Don't leave any of these things in your locked closets! Buy a box for the trunk of your car that can hold anything that would make you weep if someone broke into your closet and took it. Seriously. That leather bomber jacket given to you by someone special? Throw it into your box.

There have just been too many reports of selective theft from locked closets.

Not all guests are good people, and that is more of an issue for hosts that are renting whole spaces. Be cautious and protect your stuff.

Best!

Leigh124
Level 2
Harrisburg, IL

We are getting ready to host for the first time and had the same questions. I think I would like to lock our bedroom closet, and maybe even just put tape on personal drawers (trusting people wont want to go through our underwear drawers?) Then provide guests with one dresser and a hanging rod with hangers to store their clothes. I just can't see packing everything in the drawers up for several-day long stays! Has anyone tried this method? Are there any better drawer-locking options out there?

@Leigh124  Oh yes, people will go through your underwear drawers, believe it or not. Not everyone, but lots of people are just nosey. Personally I can't imagine renting out my whole house to strangers with my belongings in it.

Micole2
Level 1
New York, United States

Joining this conversation a bit late but seeing if anyone has found good closet locks?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Amazon has a good selection @Micole2