Should I be asking for some money back?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Should I be asking for some money back?

We just completed an Airbnb stay. Being a host myself I feel horrible even thinking about asking for a refund. But the experience was not what I expected. We arrived really late at night and one of the beds was not made at all. We could not find extra bedding anywhere, messaged the host and just crashed as is. My daughter just slept on the couch without a sheet or pillow. We did find a blanket. Towels had to be shared. The host did not reply till following afternoon. The following night there was a leak above my bed and wet drywall was falling into it. Right above my face. Messaged the host a few times about that and a few other items not working but did not hear back until end of the trip, right before check out. At that time the host hoped everything was great. I spilled all I though about my stay and did not get a reply. 

At the end, no one got hurt. We all had a place to put our heads down. The place was not too expensive but not a bargain either. If this were a hotel, I would have for sure expected a compensation. But it is not a hotel. Your thoughts?

43 Replies 43
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @John1080 @Kelly149 @Sarah977 @Cathie19 Update: I asked for a partial refund and Airbnb decided against me on the grounds of issues being minor and me only telling the host on the last day. Which is not true. I told the host about the bedding the moment we stepped in, about the first leak the next morning and the rest of the issues as they were discovered. All through airbnb messaging. In a way, I guess it is nice to see that they are not siding blindly with guests any more

Too funny, hosts can't get any satisfaction even as guests.

The thing that is so bizarre about airbnb is instances like this..the reason they gave you for refusing the refund is false.  It isn't true that you waited until the last day, and the proof is right on THEIR OWN PLATFORM, these kinds of things are truly inexplicable. It would be one thing if they refused the refund because of some other reason, hosts had an emergency or your messages were via text and not on the system, even though those text can still be submitted...but use a reason that is proven false by their own platform is mind boggling. 

Also a leak over the bed isn't really minor, again it would be one thing if they had responded and couldn't get it repaired that day, etc. as things do break down, but that there was a leak and no response is a real problem. 

@Inna22

Isn't the obvious answer a 1* review ? I'd hate to do it, but it all sounds shambolic.

I hate it when guests leave me bad reviews have never mentioned problems (one left a 3* because they couldn't get a window to open - we live upstairs, I can open it)

@Inna22

this is interesting... I've heard for cases when guests got full refund because wifi was not working  ... but you didn't get anything for missing bedding and towels ? ??

The rule is, refund tomorrow and refund yesterday – but never refund today.

( edit of a Mad Hatter quote)

@Inna22 oh my word, I'm shocked! (well, not really, but come on! these folks can't even read?!?)

I just booked an ABB reservation (did not enjoy the experience! super difficult to see the rules & details during booking process. It was hard to go back and forth between listings to figure out which was preferable. There were SOOOO many terrible listings to sift through. I'm going to be much easier on all my guests in the future and just send them a message after they book - it really isn't their fault that they can't see the rules or answer the questions that I put in the listing for them. ABB just keeps flashing: Book, Book, Book!! so it's hard to tell where you are in the process. Map search didn't work. Payment processing was broken for over 24 hours. Lots of annoying messages kept coming from ABB while I was working on it. 2 hosts were really bleh in their communication. It reallly is a wonder that ABB still has a market, I see now why they're always encouraging us to lower prices, you do need to get a good deal to put up with the frustrations and then have your total bumped by ABB by almost $100 for their ~service~)

In the end, I booked an ABB over a hotel BC:

-kitchen

-parking right in front

-we'll be in one large space instead of 2 hotel rooms (traveling with the kids)  

-the money is about a wash strictly for the accommodations (but I think I'll save $ bc of the kitchen)

-I had SH $ to spend

-the host seemed friendly and normal and communicative

BUT I'm nervous about what I'll find (will their stuff be all over the place, will it be weird to be in a stranger's house, are they going to have precious things out that I'll have to guard from the kids, what will be their expectations for how they leave and how I leave the space, this is their actual house and they'll be on a cruise so will I be bothering them if there is a problem during.......) and I don't want to be the annoying guest that asks too many questions, so I get a little better now the apprehensions that guests have

and btw, go ahead and review the heck out of that host -- you had a bad experience.

@Kelly149

At least from here all search on web  is using base price for the past few weeks. It's utter shambles, search <$100 returns 400+ listings all of which are over $100 with cleaning fee etc.

My conclusion is that no one at Airbnb uses their web site....

Ha, maybe.  I recently tried a search for an upcoming vacation and it was so, so frustrating, the filters seemed to filter out listings that should have been included, the order seemed to lack any rhyme or reason, and it was very difficult to get in or out of the "Plus" listings and generally much more cumbersome than the last time I used it as a prospective guest.

@Mark116

Most of the plus listings have exorbitant cleaning fees,so it's a lot of bait and switch if the search doesn't include cleaning fee. I got,so fed up with trying to search I tweeted Chesky himself and suggested he tried the web site. Sadly all I,got back was airbnbhelp who suggested using help.

Im tempted to bike over to the Seattle office of Airbnb and make them try out the web search experience. Airbnb is too busy on plus, experiences blah blah to seemingly care about the core product and the $30k a year I was making...

@Inna22  It's only guests who make up lies, are outrageously demanding, and/or don't bother to read the listing info who are eligible for a refund, not hosts and certainly not Superhosts, whatever were you thinking ?  🙂

I'm really disturbed. I had a problem with a guest and by the time I reached out to Airbnb another guest had moved in. But Airbnb decided in my favor because I had established a paper trail by messaging the guest through the platform and uploading photos of the damage before the new guest arrived.

The key here is the host didn't respond to your inquiries. I would push the issue and ask for a manager. But they do have a point, if you complain after staying at the place, it's harder to get a refund. On this board we've seen scammers try to do that to other hosts so they probably thought this was one of those cases.

And don't be afraid to be "that" guest. Wet plaster in your face is egregious (leak in ceiling?) and it is awful to sleep without a blanket for warmth even in the summer (something about them feels like a cocoon. Airbnb should ask for current photos from the host or delist the host until repairs are verified.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

B810D523-8057-4C1A-BBEF-48DCDA1D9D36.jpeg

D9F903CD-2840-4EDC-9142-9088CD8D02A9.jpeg

611CD2E2-711B-44F0-A6AD-5B5DFD5FB143.jpeg

85D4ED4C-9896-4D9F-A5F3-D0FB4A3B3EAC.jpeg

@Inna22 Ewww ewww ewww

”an honest and transparent review is a hallmark of our service”

and yes, that host note is galling. Use all your best “keep it unemotional & simple” host training for your review. 

I dont think you get to keep plus if your overall stars fall below the target.....

Eeeew! Did the photos on the host's site look like this? Yuk!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Now I am getting angry actually. Here are just some parts of the message I got from the host. He is going to be airbnb plus!

This is the only closet in the apartment and you cant miss it. That's it. Just open your eyes and you would have found it. And the sofa is completely new. " Disgusting sofa " ? Please .. it is so far from the truth that it made me laugh..
There is no any drywall falling and no leaks , Just one small stain on the ceiling waiting to be dry so we could paint there. We even asked the current guest about it to hear it from the guest point of view.
Coffee ? Do you complain about coffee capsules ? Seriously ? We supply a machine without capsules. You are right. Nothing wrong about that. Again- If you would have opened your eyes you could find capsules In the grocery store which is less than 2 minutes walk from the flat.
The flat is far from being covered with stains and leaks. It is extremely clean and even completed succesfully the airbnb plus inspection less than a month ago. So how could it be full of stains???