Should I give a refund in this situaion

Nelson11
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Should I give a refund in this situaion

Guests arrive for a  3 day stay on a busy summer weekend. They arrive at at about 10:15 after making special arrangements to arrive late outside the normal arrival time.

I followed our normal check-in process and told them they could contact me at any time if there is any problem. I live downstairs and we rent out the second floor.

At 9:00am the next morning they left and sent me a cryptic text message saying "we have left and are not coming back". I emailed them immediately (via Airbnb) to make sure there was no problem. Later that day they emailed me back and requested a refund for the nights they would not be using, claiming the towels were dirty, a tablecloth had lint on it, the woman could not sleep and they were just not comfortable. 

The rooms were professionally cleaned earlier that day and the towels were NOT dirty although they were not folded especially to my liking and upon examination seemed a bit "stiff" (I sometimes hang them on the line and sometimes they get a bit stiff from that). There was indeed a small amount of barely noticeable lint on one of the tablecloths. But to me I don't think this merited leaving in midstream, especially given that we put out extra towels, sheets and other bedding on a table/rack in a foyer and explicitly tell guests they can use anything from that rack. Also this guest could have contacted me: i'm directly downstairs, I would have brought up different towels immediately.

Our rooms are very nice, with oriental rugs and antique stuff, they were freshly cleaned and we even put out chocolates for them and the latest New York Times. 

Nonetheless one school of thought would be to give them the refund for the 2 days they did't stay to avoid a bad review and avoid potential trouble. My *sense* is that something happened with these guests having nothing to do with me and that's why they left early. They booked at the last minute, they changed their arrival time twice and then left abruptly after only the first nights stay. I don't think I should have to pay for their own changing of plans (it indeed that is what this was).

Also notable is that when they left they didn't immediately state that there was a problem. The initial message was simply "we are leaving and will not be back". I could have just left it at that. They had already paid, if they want to leave early then fine. But I reached out to them to make *sure* that there was not a problem (I was pretty convinced that there *wasn't* a problem!) and then they turned around and ...well you heard the story already. 

I'm sort of leaning towards giving them the a refund for the third night but not the first two. That somehow seems fair. They stayed one night. However the last time I had a "difficult" guest and bent over backwards for them (including a giving a full refund), they turned around and gave me a terrible review *anyway* and that reminded me of my dads lesson: stay away from bad people/bad customers but do not totally give in to them. With certain types of people if you give in apologize/refund it just reinforces their sense that you were wrong in the first place - and maybe owe them even more. Luckily such people are not very common - but cause a lot of trouble. Would I be to nice in giving the a refund of one day?

I'm *very* confident that the condition of the place did NOT merit leaving, although (as I stated above) we were not perfect. Fabric softener or drier sheets can make a difference in towel softness. 

Thoughts?

10 Replies 10
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Have they cancelled through ABB?

David

I think if they left during the 24 hour window they get their money back. It's Airbnb rules. Sounds like they wanted a free night stay. People can be awful. The many good ones make up for the few bad.
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Nelson11, you will have ro refund depending on your policy, haven't read your listing.

Stiff towels are the best kind, sundried and crisp! Nothing to worry about. You could ask them to cancel on Air in order for the calendar to be freed for you getting another last minute. You could offer a refund should you get another booking. As I understand it, they are not asking for a refund, just fishing for one?

Don't worry about the review, they will leave one regardless of what you do.

Attila1
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Roger17
Level 10
Thomaston, GA

Hi Nelson - I see your cancellation status is flexible and that reads as follows:  "if the guest arrives and decides to leave early, the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the official cancellation are fully refunded".  So if they did an official cancellation the process is automatically set unless there is a dispute I suppose; otherwise, it's as if they completed the entire stay.  If they didn't do the cancellation via Airbnb, I would not refund them due to the petty and childish way they made their exit.  Best regards, Roger

Thanks for this info! I didn't realize the flexible cancellation policy called for that.

That is good to know because if this happens in the future, I'll just say "you can cancel on your own end", and once they do the time will be opened up for someone else to book. At a busy time you can probably get another booking. 

Procedurely, it seemed like I would not be able to open up the cancelled days by giving them a refund for those days. In the future, I'll have THEM do the officlal cancellation on their end. Of coruse, if the the heat or A/C was broken or there was a *real* problem then it's on me but if the guest just has a change of plans (which is what I think happened here) then I know what to do.

Coincidently, the refund that I offered (1 day) is exctly what they would have gotten under my cancellation policy. The 24 hours would have covered the second night but the third would have been refunded.

Thanks again for the info.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

@Nelson11 - Seems like you'll need to refund as per your cancellation policy.  Sounds like you're a great and considered Host and next time you'll definately check those extra things that are now on your radar for the rainy day you get odd Guests. We all have a list of weird feedback from previous Guests that we double check as standard now.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Nelson11
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I ended up giving a refund of one night and the guest seems OK with it. I just cross my fingers I wont get a bad review anyway.

Argggg.

I gave the guy his refund and now he turns around and rips me with a horrible review *anyway*.

Exactly the same thing happened the last time I had this situation (perhaps a year ago).

I'm so pissed.

As I was saying, some people interpret the refund as "ah HA he was guilty, what a jerk..." and just pile on.

Hi Nelson - bummer ref the bad review.   Make sure you respond with the facts in their review.   It's so rude when hosts go out of their way and also do the right thing with the refund and the guest still trashes them.  I try and live by goes around/comes around and it serves me well.   I wish Airbnb would chime in on these types of reviews (in response to the guest review and visible to all) and state the host gave the refund and the guest complaints didn't seem justifiable.  Best regards, Roger