Smart Pricing Bug - erratic algorithm

Answered!
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Smart Pricing Bug - erratic algorithm

This morning I got a shock. I have been using smart pricing for a couple of months. Minimum and maximum prices reasonably set. For a few days I haven't received any bookings for my main listing (the oldest, the most popular). Today I discovered how bugged the algorithm of smart prices is. The screenshots attached to picture the whole situation.

The algorithm, for no particular reason me think, set the prices of that main listing to the maximum. Also, the listing that has never been booked (whole apartment) is affected. My secondary listing (listed only weekends, up to 20 bookings so far) is NOT affected by the bug.

What is more, the suggested prices for that main listing are simply idiotic for my place. Also represented in the screenshots.

Anyone noticed something similar?

@Airbnb2 coders: Have mercy on us hosts. We have enough work but to check each day if essential options are working correctly.

Smart_Pr1.jpg

Smart_Pr2.jpg

Smart_Pr5.jpg

And now from the settings in the admin panel:

Smart_Pricing_Panel.jpg

And the unaffected listing:

Smart_Pricing_Room2a.jpg

Smart_Pricing_Room2Set.jpg

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Marzena4@Ben221@Regina38@Heather229@Kelly149@Kate267@Grace165@Carla288@Ricki1

Thanks so much for highlighting the difficulty you were experiencing last week. I did pass your feedback over to the Smart Pricing Team, and so I wanted to update you on this:

"We had an issue on October 3rd that affected price tips and Smart Pricing for 19 hours. It only affected a small number of bookings, and our team worked to quickly fix the problem. Smart Pricing and price tips were back to normal on October 4. In addition, our team has put checks in place to prevent this and similar issues from happening again."

I hope this information is reassuring to you, please do keep me updated though on how it is working for you. 

Thanks everyone,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

50 Replies 50
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Marzena4 Have you tried the new calendar  functions to upload your own price to suit you for upcoming events ?

@Helen427 Do you mean changing the prices manually after turning smart pricing off?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Marzena4 @Chariya1 @Heather415 @Allan32 @Nic-and-Gloria0 @Lizzie 

Don't you just love those IT speed bumps that recur @Lizzie ??

Shon10
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Looks like there was another smart

pricing glitch that occurred late May?  I don’t understand why a booking came in at 60% less than I normally charge per night. 

AirBnB emailed and said they were aware of the issue and would compensate the difference.  They’re compensation email didn’t factor in the extra counts, I reached out to support and they reconfirmed what the actual booking cost differencd would have been.  AirBnB compensation is charging over 30% in service fees on this booking now, instead of the usual 3%...  what gives? 

Prue4
Level 2
Mermaid Beach, Australia

Hi I have the same problem with my a plus listing , no one from air Bnb is listening to me 

The prices are the same every night when it’s set on smart pricing and over priced !

what can be done please ?

Surely smart pricing should reflect the likelihood of particular days being peak or off peak, based on historical bookings and the ability to identify a weekend over a bank holiday from a weekday.in February.  Has anyone any ideas how to make this happen. 

Its a simple algorithm used by all airlines and most hotels.

Please help as cancelling bookings which were for less money than it was costing me to open the door, has seriously affected our status.

Look forward to solutions.

Philp Challinor 

Bath UK