So why is 4 Stars 'Good' for Guests - but 'Bad' for Airbnb Hosts?

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

So why is 4 Stars 'Good' for Guests - but 'Bad' for Airbnb Hosts?

Normally I am looking at things from a host angle - but I saw something recently that really made me think. I was an Airbnb guest last week and  I saw all the correspondence that Airbnb send to guests, before, during and after the booking.

It was very interesting and useful, especially the request to review (which I share with you below).

As Hosts we are all working towards satisfied guests and lots of bookings. And using Airbnb means we also have to be concerned with the Review System - and the dreaded pressure to achieve 5 Stars. Not only because some of us may want to achieve SuperHost (the jury is still out for me as to whether there are any significant benefits to being a SuperHost - the increased expectations from guests v. a dedicated phone line and a $100 travel credit - hmmmmm, still not sure!) but also the pressure to keep above a 4.5 average, because when you dip below that number Airbnb start to send warnings of suspension and all sorts of negative things. As if the pressure of hosting wasn't enough!

So my question is this - is it fair for Airbnb to have such a high average standard (above 4.5) which basically makes anything lower than an overall 5 Star 'Bad'....... but the email they send to guests after a stay doesn't point this out. It actually reads like this (see below) and I believe this is sending one message to the guest - while sending another message to the Host.

'How was your stay at Fred's place?

Terrible
Bad
Okay
Good
Great

Share your experience while it’s still fresh. Your review will help Fred improve and tells future guests what to expect.'

SO IF FOUR STARS ARE CONSIDERED GOOD - and Airbnb sends this explanation out to the guest with the review request - then why such an unsupportive reaction from Airbnb when Hosts get a 4 star review?
Wouldn't most people booking a place to stay to save money and somewhere cheaper than a hotel - wouldn't they be happy with a 'Good' place? And delighted, but not expected, if a place turned out to be 'Great'? So why is it so bad from Airbnb's point of view to get a mix of 4 star and 5 star reviews?

I also agree with the suggestion that Airbnb should wait to send the warning emails until a host receives an overall 4 star review three times in a row. That would be more indicative of below par performance than the occasional 4 star overall that some guests just seem determined to give to be difficult or whatever reason they have in their heads.

This email message from Airbnb to the guests (showing 4 stars to mean 'Good' and 5 stars 'Great') is not helpful if Airbnb continue to use a different measuring stick for Hosts (meaning 4 stars is not 'Good' but that you are failing as a Host).
160 Replies 160

Exactly. Guests leave 4 stars as a positive! And I assume many reserve a 5 star review for something that truly blew their minds. Airbnb needs to reevaluate their interpretation of 4 stars as a negative rating.

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

You have to ask.

I don’t mean setting up a review station in your business, or offering any sort of monetary incentives in exchange for reviews– I mean simply asking for a review.

If you explain how much your customer’s review means to you and your business, it makes them feel special. It makes them feel included.

They might leave a three or four star review on their own accord. But if you’ve delivered on every level, and then ask for a review (and made it easy for the customer to write a review), then you’re on track for another five star rating.

If you have all your ducks in a row, it really is that simple. Uber drivers ask for (and receive) five star reviews all the time. That’s because they provide good service, and their platform makes it easy. Think like an Uber driver.

Remember, your customers don’t see what happens behind the scenes at your business. They can only judge you from your interactions and your service.

Once you make sure you’re focusing on positive interactions, keeping your promises, and the quality of your services, you have to make leaving a five star review easy for the customer.

Better service combined with less friction is the key to earning those five star reviews.

Thanks for reading!

-Brodie

@Bruce43

Brodie - May I assume you are the lovely woman behind Bruce's shoulder in the profile pic? (the power behind the throne?) ; -)

Then it is my pleasure to say hello - and thank you for letting him loose in the forums - he spreads laughter with amusing comments most days - and gratefully received!

Very well put and thank you for your contribution. Human Nature is complex, but once understood a few well thought out processes can make the system work in our favor.

Best WIshes to you!

@Rachael26   I found the post on google trying to understand the brain being wired for altruism, i.e., helping others.

And the quest for 5-star rating blah blah blah . 

My wife thanks you for the compliment. 

Good points here throughout. However, I recenty encountered a guest who did not reply to most of the messages I sent. Even when I was asking simple things if she is okay and needs something, or on the day of checkout at what time would she be leaving. Nothing. I got four stars. She described how small my garage was and gave instructions to people how to properly get inside the garage. That just tells me she never read any of my house manuals or prearrival info I sent to her and all my other guests before. As to the garage being too small, my rental is in downtown (more or less), and she is from a suburb two hours away so you can image how offended I was. So my point is , yes, it is a good idea to ask for five stars but it won't work on guests with poor communication skills (or totally unreasonalble ones lol).

Ok..but I'm not sure why an uber driver would get less than 5 stars. They plug an address into a gps and drive there. Not a whole lot of room.for negative reviews unless they took.you to the wrong place...

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

How much bandwidth has been spent on this?

Something so obvious, so discussed I can not believe that it is not known in AirBnB Tower, so can only assume there is a reason.

Now what that reason is we can speculate.

David

@David126 way too many electrons.i use a standard form for guests who are new to Airbnb.

Guests who understand the rating system already know the pressure we are under for the 5-star click.

So according to my theory, only 20% of guests need that push and need to be prodded.

We work very had for 5-Star reviews as they help my business a lot.
This property is my small family business and a review goes a long way for us!
If you enjoyed your stay, and wouldn't mind could you please write us a review about your favorite parts of our property?
Also, if you had anything go wrong or suggestions on how we could improve would you please send them to me in this messenger as we welcome your feedback and love to improve".

I am working on the Building, have been for years, currently have 2 guys working with me, we broke for lunch and I was doing a couple of reviews, they know I use AirBnB and that people come and go but that is about it.

So they wanted to know what I was doing and I explained that I had to review everybody who stayed here, ther found it quite offensive, they stay in Hotels, they book they pay they do not want their details spread over the internet.

I had not thought about it from that perspective, must be a lot of people with similar views.

David

@David126

It is an interesting thought isn't it? I thought about it as well just last week - I travelled solo to Philadelphia - flew in and decided to spend the 1st and last nights right by the Airport so as not to have to go through Big City rush hour traffic across town to catch my flight. Being loyal - I did have a look through Airbnb - and found several great looking nearby rooms for $49 (and 1 even included the 5 min ride to the airport!) and I was tempted to save the money - for around 5 minutes - then decided I would rather chill out in an airport hotel for 3 times the price for these reasons - anonymous - no small talk - no review best behavior - and guaranteed TV, cocktail bar before dinner in the room, and a decent bed.

Horses for courses as they say!

Mahrita0
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

YOUR RIGHT GUEST COME TO RELAX NOT CONSTANTLY HARRASSED JUST SO AIRBNB CAN BOOST THERE BOOKING LEAVE THE GUEST AND HOST ALONE AND ONLY STEP IN IF REALLY NESASARY

Alicia139
Level 3
Bourron-Marlotte, France

Basically the one word in common with all your reviews is pressure for the host and pressure for the guest. I dont think I will go on using this service as I dont like running my establishment under constant pressure. 

I had a review of 9.1 total for my little cottage in seine-et-marne when I finished working with booking.com after 6 years with them. Noone can even find me on Airbnb so i get noone as i had 4 for last review so Ive been shoved off the sytem as being an awful place!

This pressure system is useless and I like to run everything in a happy and relaxed way for the people and for myself. Im bringing out my own blog and scrapping all these services but would recommend the good system of France-voyage.com..theres no pressure involved and ive just had my first booking with no commission costs at all so cheaper for the guest and more in pocket for yourselves..

So those folks who object to being reviewed should just stay at hotels. It's a HUGE difference between a room in a home and a hotel room.  If I am opening my home to a stranger, I am going to look at their picture, profile, and reviews, because that makes me, as the host, safer. It's simply another world -- one where we all try and help each other and hold each other accountable. 

There are a wide variety of properties on AirBnB, I assume that those sharing their home are in a minority?

David

@David126

- another good question/point David. I was thinking that it may be 50% or more of listings that are a room or an attached unit or below apt - all which to me qualify as shared space for this particular point.......I would be interested to see a breakdown - and then for different countries. It would be fascinating stuff!