Special Offers

Avril0
Level 1
United Kingdom

Special Offers

I have a person wanting to book for 6 weeks but my price is too high for the length of his stay so I want to offer a discount. I looked on the help and it said to open the email thread and click on Attach a special offer tab. But there is no such tab on the email threads. Has anyone else offered a special offer and if so how did you do this. There is no way to email airbnb on their website.

Regards Avril

34 Replies 34

Hi Christina;  The way I did it (the host) was I went back into the message once it was accepted then the host has the option to change the reservation.  I changed the reservation for the guest and that way she doesn't have to cancel it.  Let me know if that helps, 🙂 Shaune

this is not accurate!  already tried !!

Hi I'm having the same issue and I don't see the Special Offer button anywhere at all. It just gives me the option to accept or decline. Help.

Douglas1
Level 1
Hobart, WI

One other issue I've found with the Special Offers section.  Although you can fill in the amounts, and see a box that says "Guest Pays", that is not in fact what they pay.  You do not (or, better stated, cannot) see the AirBnb fee charged to the guest for their reservation.  You only see the fee collected from your end.   I was in a similar situation, with a guest requesting a discount for a longer term stay (1-3 months).  We agreed on a price, I made the "Guest Pays" section come out to our agreed price, and sent it.  He replied, saying it was 10% higher than what we agreed upon.

Essentially, you have to calculate the AirBnb fee charged to the guest (10 - 12%, depending on the size of the reservation itself), and work backwards.  In other words, take what you want the guest to actually pay, and divide it by 1.12 (its not exact, but close enough).

Although I don't feel its unscrupulous, I do however find it a bit confusing.  It made it appear as if I agreed to have the guest pay one amount, then made it look like I was overcharging, since the amount he saw wasn't what we agreed upon, until I fixed it, and resent.  IN my eyes, if the box says "Guest Pays", that should be what the guest pays.  Sounds like common sense to me, but perhaps in todays age, its a bit....UNcommon.

Carole18
Level 2
Darwin, Australia

Hi Avril, like you in november I want to send a special offer to a guest enquiry and there is nowhere to click 'send a special request' button once I have opened her email or anywhere I can find. Can you or someone else help me? Thanks a lot. carole 

I'm having the same problem.  THERE IS NO SPECIAL OFFER BUTTON in the normal space.  I'm afraid these potential 5 day guests are going to get tired of waiting and book elsewhere, plus it's making me look like I don't know what I'm doing.

I believe that if your guests sent you a reservation request you can not edit the quote, on the other hand if you receive a reservation inquiry you can edit your quote and send a special offer. Reservation request means guests are ready to book at quoted rate. Why offer a discount? I had this problem with one of my guests and this is how I got around it. I explained everything to them, decline their request, they sent me a new inquiry and I was able to send them a special offer.

Shaune0
Level 2
Fredericton, Canada

Hi Kara the same thing is happening to me it was suggested something is not turned on inside the system but I can't find anything.  It is so annoying my friend says hers comes right up.  grrr. mine doesn't either hopefully someone could let us know if a setting is wrong or how to help.  Thanks Shaune

I am having the same problem, but from what I am getting from this is to let them know that there is a difference in price accept the request then go into it and change the reservation 

Hi Carole;  I am the same I can't find the button until I decline the reservation then I can go back in and make a special offer but declining the reservation upsets the guest, I do explain but it is still something we should not have to do.  I can't find a setting or anything inside to resovle this it was suggested may I don't have something clicked off that I am supposed to but I can't find it.  If you do let me know, hope that works in the mean time.  Shaune

Shaune0
Level 2
Fredericton, Canada

Hi;  I also can't get the special offer function to come up.  When I receive a request to book mine is only saying accept or decline, it shows all the charges and totals the costs but on this request there is no special offer showing.  I have read the information on the help a million times but the "special offer" does not come up on that "far left hand side" as the help link suggests.  Is there something in the system somewhere that is not turned on???  The instruction in help don't apply the only way I have been able to send a special offer is if I decline the reservation first and that is not great relations with the guest.  What I just did was accept the reservation and then change it.  In that place I can change the amount but that causes confusion on the customers visa with charges and rebates.  Help!  Thanks Shaune

Shaune - I'm having the same problem (August 2017) and am using Chrome. I hope this is fixed eventually!

People, I need help!My option "specia offer" has dessapeared.
I just have options : confirm or cancel.
It is not good for me, because airbnb gives price of my room for one person, and if there is 4 guest, I send special offer, and now I cant do it 😞

I have the same problem as Avril.  I received a booking request from a friend and I can't find anywhere the "Special Offer" function.

If I go to the message thread for the guest the Special Offer feature is no where to be found.  It appears its only available if a message is sent prior to the booking request.  Why ???

I Had a similar problem. My recommendation is as follows.

Step 1 : Agee with guests on final price and dates etc. inform them that to do the change on Airbnb you first have to accept their original reservation/booking request and then send them a change request (there is a button in the reservation after you accept). If you need to be clear in messaging that if they don't accept you may need to cancel - i.e. Extra fee for PETs or special situation) so you can contact Airbnb and have them cancel for you. It's important that all messaging be done on the Airbnb platform.

Step 2 : go to reservation and select change/cancel button and assist dates/pricing. When changing like special offers be sure to include cleaning and other fees and remind guests that this quoted amount does not include Airbnb fees. Great guide in the community help section : https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Change-Price-Number-of-Guests-Check-in-or-Check-out-Dates-A/m-...

The guests then have 24hrs to accept.

Andrew

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ