Sudden Rash of Hagglers in NYC - Goodness make it stop!

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

Sudden Rash of Hagglers in NYC - Goodness make it stop!

This last week or so almost every inquiry is someone asking for special pricing. Sometimes they are decent and save us both time by asking immediatly .  To which I respond, "Thank you for considering me as your host, but I do not negotiate price.  However Airbnb has thousands of listings that fit every budget. Have a wonderful time in NYC! - Best, Ephraim"    Then I click DECLINE

Other times they ask me a hundred questions then spring me with what they can afford with their budget.

Are others experiencing this endless barage of hagglers?  Or have  I just been lucky?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15149137

25 Replies 25
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi Ephraim

I love love love your answer to those requests. I might just used that in the future as it's both polite and yet firm but still friendly. 

I have the occasional bargainer and I just decline them as my price is very low to begin with and then I reply that it's as low as I can go - when I find the time.

I haven't got a clue on how to avoid them but I'll follow this conversation to hopefully find the answer 🙂

@Christian65 

Thanks Christian, I like to think of my response as the good kind of passive aggressive.  😉

Once I had request from a girl from the US who initially just wrote me if my place was available to which I replied it was.

Then she asked for recommendations for restaurants and bars which I gave.

The second day she wrote back that during her stay she and her boyfriend would be receiving a friend and if she could sleep on the sofa in the living room to which I said yes if only they would register her on the booking.

Third day came and she asked if there were any place nearby to dry clean their clothes and I willfully gave the adress.

After several days without any reply I asked back and she wrote me that they had found another place! I had spent so much time on her for nothing and she didn't even decline the approved booking request nor have the decency to write back to thank me for my recommendations and time.

I eventually wrote her back saying that she would probably be better of at a hotel and that I hoped she wouldn't waste to many of my fellow Dane's time as she did with mine.  

Sometimes people are just not considering that we aren't running a hotel business and that we have a life and job outside of ABB but thankfully the vast majority of people are the very friendly and understanding towards being a host. 

@Christian65 That's almost exactly what happened to me starting yesterday at 9AM, questions throughout the day. How close am I to this, how can they get to there, hows the wifi, is netflix included in the price. Question after question off and on for 24 G-- Darn hours! until this morning when I was blessed with their final message. We can only afford to spend $75 a night would that be OK since we will be staying 10 days? NO its not OK, not for $25 off or $1 off.  "I'd rather have the place empty you SCHMUCK!..." is what I wanted to say.  Instead I gave them my standard line, posted above, thank goodness I practically have it memerized. 

Well, in all fairness, some hosts do offer discounts for weekly or monthly stays, so perhaps they were just asking to see if you have such a policy, or might be open to one. I am part of the "it never hurts to ask" crowd, if I think my request is reasonable. And sometimes a host might rather have someone at the (lesser) price he can afford than to not have the booking at all. I do think your answer is respectful and direct. And it looks like you might have to get used to using it! 😉

@Laura99 

My logic is if the price seems to hi  I move on to something I can afford. I find it insulting since I'm not operating a flea market.  I feel It's an uncomfortable way to start off, as being a guest in someones home.  But that's just me.

I don't think your being passive / aggressive , particularly not aggressive at all . You sound no nonsense and clear . It's nice to be straight forward as you know what your getting . Particularly important considering what we do in having guests into our homes . 

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

I use a very similar reply as Ephraim suggests:

"I'm sorry but we believe our place is a great value and we do not offer any discounts. There are lots of other listings in San Francisco and I'm sure you can find a nice place that better fits you budget. Have a great trip :-)"

I also usually pre-approve them. They almost NEVER accept the pre-approval but I have heard that if you decline to often, the automated system will lower your ranking in the search.

I have not noticed an uptick in requests for discounts but it would not surprise me. Airbnb is transitioning from new and cool to just another travel commodity (like Trivago or Hotels.com). People looking for travel bargains based on location/availability/price. I hope airbnb will grow to better support unique travel experiences and perhaps split into two, airbnb bargain travel and airbnb elite. For me I am not competing with the bargain listings. My guest penthouse is truly something special and it's priced accordingly. Bargain hunters won't click on my listing and I'm OK with that.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/350391

@James1 Amen brother... that would be great if there was an airbnb budget, but my gut tells me people looking for a good deal would primarily be in airbnb elite still driving hosts crazy with their dribble.

Karin38
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I love your very polite response to declining hagglers.  The only thing I would do is after responding, I'd then approve them rather than declining so you don't get dinged in the search engine. 

@Karin38 I thought of that, I worry that one of them may decide to book anyway. When I first started with air I would take anyone, and I did with instant check-in (bad memories), and I will tell you hagglers from all faiths, countries, sexs, color, and creed have one thing in common they are the worst people imaginable! (OK I'm exagerating a tad) They can't be satisfied, they expect you to be their buttler because they dropped a whopping $400 on your place. They are idiots and I fear that one of them will decide to make a reservation. Then make me even crazier because after all they desreve VIP treatment since they paid FULL PRICE!

Simple solution to that, make them a special offer and triple the price, maybe throw in a sob story about having to pay some big bills this month or having to pay for your next holiday.

@Scott-and-Sherryn0 That is brilliant! thanks!

Makes a lot of sense.  My hagglers usually ask to stay for several months at a third of the price so when I kindly decline their offer, I let them know I'll approve their inquiry in case they change their mind