Superhost Review Standards--Revision!!

Olivira0
Level 4
Beaumont, TX

Superhost Review Standards--Revision!!

The new Superhost review standard that will roll out after April (I believe it is now a 4.8 out of 5.0) is quite detrimental to Superhosts. I don't know of any other company where the hosts who are your actual "bread and butter" are treated more unfairly. Take a step back from this, Airbnb, and reconsider. Your Superhosts represent the bulk of your revenue concentrated in a small minority. They do the most hosting and attract the most guest loyalty. Yet your new review system sets out a "5.0 or bust" standard of achievement (because, truly, anything less than a 5.0 might as well be a 4.0 the way things are weighted).

But let's talk about weights, because I think this is where a reasonable solution lies. The reviews themselves need to be weighted based on the aggregate number of days that a guest has stayed with you. Most of my renters are what I would consider "long term" renters--they remain with me on average a month or so. When I get a review from them at the end of their stay, it is honest and involved because of the duration of their stay with me. It is critically disadvantageous to have the review of a "one night" guest weigh as much as someone who stayed with me and actually enjoyed the hospitality of my home. If the reviews are calculated over a rolling 12-month period, then the guest reviews can also be calculated as a percentage of that time frame.

Think about the benefits to this method, Airbnb and Superhosts. Using this method, a bad review is far less damaging than the reviews of those who were guests in your home for longer periods of time. If you get a bad review from someone who was with you for a while, then it probably is an accurate review. You have more opportunity to interact with and respond to guest needs over longer periods of time.

The way the system is currently slated, hosts are striving to do more while guests are allowed to do less. Airbnb will start to find that hosts make adjustments that result in fewer, more controlled bookings and that equates to less revenue from your "bread and butter" base. I'm to the point now where I am going to start adjusting my minimum stay requirements just to ensure that I have host interaction time. I have already removed Instant Booking because the review process is so deeply flawed that hosts are erring on the side of good reviews just to placate guests which means some not so great guests are slipping through the cracks.

Another suggestion is to allow hosts to see the kinds of reviews that a guest gives. If they came recommended, we should be able to see how they reiewed their past hosts. If reviews are made public, then we should have access to that information.

Airbnb needs to look into this adjustment seriously. It is possible to recalculate and necessary to ensure that the host community is not alienated from hosting.

18 Replies 18
Debbie297
Level 2
Riverside, CA

I so agree this is critical and I am concerned about continuing to host if it will be under such pressure for what a someone  may decide to rate you (often stemming from because I do not offer things that I clearly don’t offer to begin with/-like full house occupancy vs private room ) . It’s an uncomfortable sacrifice to be at their mercy sometimes in such circumstances.

4.7 is too high even though I am 4.9, I know that if one single person hits me with a low rating, that I’m finished as superhost 

Dr-Jenny0
Level 2
Cook Islands

Agree with Olivira - we too had a two night staying guest who was a first time Airbnb guest - nice enough guy but clearly had no experience nor inkling of the effect of his ratings! For the first time ever we received 3 stars for value as opposed to 100% of all other guests at 5 stars. He gave four for cleanliness even as he conceded that in the islands there are night flying insects (go figure!) and he gave four for location (because he couldn"t see his way home in the dark!) Duh there are no street lights on small Pacific Islands but there was a light on his bike and a torch in his room! His written evaluation was completely at odds with his ratings but the effect of his review was sufficient for us to lose SH status.

The other issue is the subjectivity of reviewing - we live on a small island 6 km square - and yet occasionally guests will insist our place is 'isolated'! The nearest house is around 200 metres away and the nearest village is at the end of the road maybe 500 metres away. The nearest shop is about four minutes away, airport four kilometres, cafe 1 km - isolated meaning what!! 

Jean-Michel19
Level 2
Philippines

THIS IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS AND DISCOURAGING FOR THE SUPER HOST LIKE ME !!!!

I hate AIRBNB RATING that it has been done by a guy who for sure 100% DO NOT HAVE ANY GUESTS in his life and do not measure AT ALL ALL THE EFFORTS DONE BY   a HOST... I HAVE MORE THAN 200 POSITIVES COMMENTS AND MOST OF MY GUESTS are staying 1 week so IMAGINE THAT 8 PEOPLE PER MONTH ARE VERY DEMANDING MY RATE IS ABOUT 4.6 AND I still waiting for my STATUS to be upgraded ...????????????????????? HELLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOO AIRBNB I do not wait for your status it is grave inside my heart I M SUPER HOST AND I DO NOT WAIT FOR YOUR FAKE APPROVAL THOUGH !!!!

Jean-Michel19
Level 2
Philippines

AIRBNB is just lucky that there is ONLY AIRBNB in this world LOL...if I had the choice with their POlicy and FAKE RATING going in advantage of the GUESTS ONLY  I will leave that APPLICATION right away... the thing is they do not have any consideration for THE HOSTS who INVESTING in their UNITS FOR THE GOOD OF THE GUESTS ...............HELLO AIRBNB WITHOUT HOSTS you dont have GUESTS AT ALL please share a 70/30 in favor of the HOSTS ...IT SEEMS that all credits are for the GUESTS who are destroying everything!!!