The Airbnb Community Commitment

Ron47
Level 3
Navan, Ireland

The Airbnb Community Commitment

Hi Airbnb,

I have received your email regarding the The Airbnb Community Commitment.

It is recommendable that you are doing this, however, I find it a disgrace that you are forcing me to accept this clause or else. What is that? I have my own values, and discrimination is not a part of that. I don’t need you to tell me how I am supposed to conduct me in real life. And then threaten me to close my account in the process if I don’t abide by your rules. How is that not discriminating?

It’s a great thing you don’t accept discrimination, but you are a big hypocrite in the process. I will not let anybody force me into accepting anything. So I will be happy to cancel my account, I don’t want to deal with companies who discriminate me and try to take away my freedom of speech. I don’t want to belong in a bunch of hypocrites.

Regards

Ronald

155 Replies 155
Jacquie2
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Up the security for underage guests to $1000.  Also if you lengthen your minimum stay it does turn off the weekend partiers.  Renting to couples or families or stating in your description that the home is not suitable for singles - not sure how we can get around this problem.  The May long weekend has always been a problem in Whistler Canada, so I just book off those nights and leave it empty or rent to repeat guests or family.  There is a directive from our strata (HOA) that we do that, and also not rent to under 25's but it is not a law.

@Jacquie2 @Gerald, Ken (they must have cancelled)

I read both the community commitment and the non-discrimination policy.  I disagree that hosts must accept underage renters.

-The Community commitment entails treating people with respect regardless of age.

-The non-discrimination policy does not include age.

My reading of the two?  If you tell someone who is 70 that you don't want to host an "old geezer" you've probably violated the community commitment.  Or if you complain about an otherwise fine group, just because the family has kids/old people. But, if you state and enforce a minimum age for the primary renter, as a risk-management (no big underage party), you are okay under the non-discrimination policy. When someone tells me they are under our minimum age, or want a "college study group" to rent the home, we say, "Great. We have a minimum age to rent; so your parent, guardian, or academic advisor will need to create an AirBNB account, make the reservation and agree to be financially responsible for any damage to the home."  I can count dozens of parties-avoided enforcing our policy.  And I believe our policy is consistent with both of these statements.  And we have documented examples of helping elderly and disabled guests with accessibility concerns, all of whom have been wonderful guests.

I think these policies are aimed at hosts--and I have seen several--making comments like "Oh my god, my guest was old and sick and I was afraid they were going to die-can I cancel?" Or, "can I cancel the reservation because my guest's baby is crying?" Not cool. But I think setting a minimum age for risk-management, financial responsibility, and community responsibility is okay the way the 2 guidelines are written.

@EVERYONE 

I had guests that scared me a bit, 4 guys in their early 30rties. I just say in my communication previous to their arrival that the area is totally secured, quiet, and that they will feel very safe that we have a police officer in our street. That cut down on the pot smoking, noise, and rowdiness. The drunk issue is a bother here, they drink until they pass out and every since I mentioned that the cop in the hood is on to anything, I feel a lot safer. 

We cannot discriminate against young people because some of them are very decent and considerate, so the way I found to counteract this issue is to tell them that we have a cop here, is actually the truth, Sargent NEY is on to every thing.  So far, I had one incident of drunkness and I immediately took notice and spoke to him and things got better.

There are ways to resolve this issue, however my neighbor had a schizophrenic who threated to kill all of us here and at midnight I called the cops , he forgot his meds and got a huge knife and started to bang outside our gates saying we were satanic. My neighbor is not an airbnb member, but she rents summers also. We had to live with it, until they departed. We are all taking a chance in renting, there is no way around it. Anna

Henry-Lona0
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

I agree against this "Community inclusiveness policy"

This is totally discrimination that this policy is creating.

I can't get insurance in Canada for my property.

It is considered high risk, for short-term rentals.

So Big Insurance companies discriminate..

And they have the same non-discrimination policies.

I believe that you have to produce a drivers licence to enrol in AirBnb

That automatically discriminates against based on age (16). (which to me is good).

We will most likely cancel out subscription.  AirBnb is discriminatory

and the only way for the community to respond is to cancel!

I had instant bookings, and within a month saw the stupidity of it.

Stories of teenagers trashing properties in Canada

In Toronto, The city allows muslim apartments, which discriminates

against non-muslims, even to the point of evicting handicapped non-muslims. (go figure!)

In someparts of Toronto (massive "inclusiveness", they allow segregated

schools again, students have a better learning atmosphere.

As a Christian, we reflect God's love to everybody. I, a white man,

married an African Women, and we reflect God's love in our life to all.

We still discriminate.... we don't accept vulgar language, abusive policemen

(And they are there!) , underage drinkers, sex before marriage, etc.

These rules are for the protection of our state, and if we allow anything, which

this policy basically promotes, then ANARCY will reign. And people-loving 

individuals will be discriminated against, for not signing a stupid policy paper.

God Bless.

T

Have replied to their email asking they remove my details from their system as I certainly won't be bullied into signing their ridiculous and pathetic commitment whatever, furthermore I won't be ever giving them a penny more from now on, their loss, the nerve of these companies honestly, like a dictatorship - so tired of this constant discrimination crap that has infected every part of everything, am discriminated almost every day but no one gives a toss as being what I am, I can't obviously suffer it, absolute **bleep**

@Katie121

"so tired of this constant discrimination crap that has infected every part of everything, am discriminated almost every day but no one gives a toss as being what I am.."

So because you supposedly are being discriminated against, ABB should just leave you and others to be able to discriminate guests? What kind of logic is that? 

Btw you should look up what a dictatorship is and have some respect for the many people having to suffer under such rule. You, on the other hand are free to leave the company anytime and let me by all means assist you:

To cancel your Airbnb account:

1. Go to Account on airbnb.com
  2. Click Settings
  3. Click Cancel my account

When you cancel your account, any reservations you've made as a host or a guest will automatically be canceled.

No need, wouldn't waste my time, [inappropriate content hidden]

Hello Christian, I am new to ABB, and was recommended by my neighboor from Argentina whom said you guys are great. So far I found the company very very organized, and detailed oriented. I rented most of the summer my cottage cabin by the sea and am eager to receive my guests. I got a little nervous as for the payment timing, but my neighbour said is ok, that you guys are great. Here in Brazil we rent a lot in the summer for Argentinians and Uruguayans, and it seems ABB has a terrific reputation. I guess I did not know about this rule, of discrimination, maybe I signed it already, I was not intimidated by the company. Could you please clarify for me what is going on? What is the issue here, we are not supposed to take in young people in their 20's, or are we? I just booked a bunch of people and they are all in their 20's will I get in trouble for doing this?

much love from Brazil and thanks for all your diligence in posting to help the community! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh please @Katie121

I am sorry that you feel not discriminating against people on the basis of their race, religion, disability etc 'ridiculous and pathetic'.

It's what I already do anyway so have no problems with signing up.

Hester1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree completely with these sentiments.  There are certain nationalities that I am now very reluctant to accept as guests in my spare room, as they have been consistently (and I mean every single time these nationalities come) noisy, rude, dirty and demanding.  I really am not exaggerating.  I didn’t think I had a racist bone in my body but frankly I don’t care how Airbnb or anyone else choose to label me.  So yes I do object to formally agreeing to such a statement.  This is my private home and I will have a say in who stays in it.

OH please. There is no such thing as discriminating against someone that is indeed doing the discrimination. That is the biggest oxmoron that I've heard of. Airbnb is a company, and if you don't like it, start your own company that dicrimnaties against blacks, hispanics, or whomever else you "choose" to do it towards. I'd love to see how far you get with that as the backbone of your comapany.  

Airbnb is doing nothing that is hypocritical. If anything your the hypocrite talking about how you find it recommendable in what they are doing, but then calling them a hypocrite in the same sentence. The irony!  Freedom of speech has nothing to do with discrimintation. OMGosh, some of you people and your logic. 

Airbnb is trying to fix a major problem in discrimination. And I truly APPLAUD them. At the end of the day it's their company, and they can make any changes they with. For those trying to make 100 excuses of why we should keep discrimination of any kind, is the reason the world is the way it is. 

You are insured as an Airbnb host, so I don't want an excuses of teenages damaging your proprety, because I can find old people who would do the same. That's the whole freaking point. You can't assume a "type" of person is going to do something, becaause someone else in that same "group" did it before hand. And we all know this new commitment has to do with Race discrimation more than anything. 

Please do leave, and take your bigotry and discrimation somplace else. Communites like these are usually based off of good hearted people trying to make this world a better place, but in this case your getting PAID to do a service. I hope that your don't ever have to face discrimation of any kind. But it's no wonder only certain types are aruging about this. Cause they obvioulsy have very little first hand experience, not to mention a lack of compassion. 

Choosing who you have in your home is not discrimination; it is both your right and may be the very safety net that avoids a threatening situation. Your anti discimination rant did a back flip the moment you labelled anyone with any choice a biggot. Seriously, if you are truly compassionate about accepting anyone and everyone you  would show it, not just talk about it:) I am not feeling love from a policy that forces issues. 

Assuming AirBnb hosts operate as a business, not a charity we have to invest in guests that are reliable and respectful. How individual hosts measure what that standard is very personal. As personal as every AirBnb! Hostels and hotels have standards, so why would Airbnb properties be any different?

Ashley79
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

[Inappropriate content hidden]

Thank you for pointing out what should be obvious.This is about racial discrimination first and foremost. Obviously the complainers here are oblivious to the type discrimination that this new policy seeks to diminish. For those who refuse to believe there is racial discrimination check out the results of at least one Airbnb study shoing how people were discriminated against based on race. It's hilarious to me how people are digging at straws citing how requirements such as owning a driver license is discriminatory practice comparable to bigotry. Obviously Airbnb had to do something to save face and yes folks will still find a way to decline guests who do not fit a desired appearance. At least the policy will begin to weeds out certain people. I agree, anyone who is unhappy should definitely leave. Goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out! Last time I checked no one's is forced to rent their property throughout this company or put up with anything else.

I have in the past rented my house to Brazilians and Argentinians, also Uruguaians and Colombians, never had a problem whatsoever. The ones that did damaged my place where regular white people from the first world. HOWEVER, i will not say that I will never take a certain race or creed or nationality because my take is that there are good and bad all over the globe.