The Airbnb Community Commitment

Ron47
Level 3
Navan, Ireland

Hi Airbnb,

I have received your email regarding the The Airbnb Community Commitment.

It is recommendable that you are doing this, however, I find it a disgrace that you are forcing me to accept this clause or else. What is that? I have my own values, and discrimination is not a part of that. I don’t need you to tell me how I am supposed to conduct me in real life. And then threaten me to close my account in the process if I don’t abide by your rules. How is that not discriminating?

It’s a great thing you don’t accept discrimination, but you are a big hypocrite in the process. I will not let anybody force me into accepting anything. So I will be happy to cancel my account, I don’t want to deal with companies who discriminate me and try to take away my freedom of speech. I don’t want to belong in a bunch of hypocrites.

Regards

Ronald

155 Replies 155

Agree 100%. there is competition aplenty. we don't need the red guard in our lives - save it for Yale.

James229
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

I wonder if there are not certain peculiarities within the terms   "race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age—"  that my place may not be able to accommodate. ?

It is not wheelchair accessible.  My signs are not in braille.

The kitchen is set up in a "normal American" fashion.  Are there not certain ethnicities or religions that require food to be prepared in a certain way ?

I fly the American flag.

I have framed old (1950's) postcards of women on the beach, in one-piece swimsuits.  Is this objectionable to some races ?

We do not allow pets, including service dogs.

I also find it disturbing that I cannot discriminate against age; I livein a college town, and my rental is on the beach.   I do not want to rent to a group of college kids, I was one once.  If this comes out as advertised, I will consider cancelling.

Hi James -

I read some of the posts saying things like if one is against this new policy, then you must be a racist or bigot or something. But, I really do not think that is the case at all, or at least for most of those who have some issues with this. In my case, I have come to Indonesia to retire and have a place available in an isolated rural setting next to a small village. I'm allowed by my neighbors to open my home for hosting, but am expected to adhere to the local norms and standards of behavior - both my guests and I. These local standards do NOT fully adhere to this Airbnb policy - so does Airbnb expect me to ignore or insult my neighbors by forcing them to change to USA customs and standards? These people are very nice wholesome caring people ... but they just have some different values and customs.

And, well ... I really DO want to have some control over who walks in my front door! I still consider this to be my private home; not some public establishment!

Anyway, the reason I decided to respond to your message was your closing statement, that you may "consider leaving". Unfortunately, Airbnb will not give you that choice - you will either declare that you fully accept this new policy on November 1, or you will be delisted and all reservations cancelled.

Pretty harsh way to implement their new policy, I think...

Guess we'll see what plays out. There are a number if other platforms similar to Airbnb, though thus far I've had the most bookings via Airbnb, but if they force me to go, then I'll just take a hit for a while until I can rebuild on other platforms.

Good luck to you.

Ken ***

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Ron47  I agree with you that the aims of this Commitment are laudable.  They are more than a PR exercise. 

However, I note that the wording is fairly vague: "You commit to treat everyone [age, disability, race etc etc] with respect, and without judgment or bias". 

Nowhere does it say we will be penalised for declining guests that our listing would not suit;

Neither does it say what the penalties are for not adhering to the Commitment (after 'signing' it);

Or how non-adherence is to be assessed.

I'm sure we will receive further information on 1st November (or be referred to amended T's and C's).

I hope I shall be able to continue to 'respectfully' decline guests with children.

@Ken16  If you told me about your local culture in your listing or in our communication, and this meant I couldn't stay in your accommodation, I would completely accept this.   As @Gerald22 says, travellers expect to encounter different cultures.

Hi Julia -

We used to live in a rural village area here in Indonesia, but when our boys got older we moved into the city for better schooling. We decided to open our rural place for guests a few months ago. The area is 100% (not 99 or 99.9%, but 100%!) conservative Muslim. But they are very VERY nice people! they allow me to open the house to Christians and Buddhists ... as long as they are not "blatantly" religious. And we had a dog or two when we lived there, and that was (barely) tolerated, so we allow pets (depending on how big, how many, and perhaps on how considerate to the local feeling the pet owner "sounds" to us). And gay couples? I'd let them stay as well, if I felt based on the correspondence that they would refrain from opening antagonizing the local community. So, yes ... I "discriminate" in who I allow in my house based on my judgement of what is allowable by the community. The Airbnb policy would prevent me from making such judgements ... and I can be certain that eventually my neighbors would either close me down or burn me down.

Actually, I am sure that most potential guests are very considerate like you ... if there were local customs or constraints that did not suit your values or lifestyle, you would chose another place. But there are most certainly (unfortunately) people who are NOT so considerate and would come to my home, as my guest, only to make a point to my neighbors. And then they would depart, and I would be left holding the consequences for their statement.

And, in any case, I absolutely DO want to have some control over who walks in my front door.

Well, anyway, Airbnb told me of this policy today, and I have until tomorrow to understand it and either accept it fully, or else be delisted and all reservations cancelled.

Isn't that just a lovely way to present us with this new policy? 🙂

Best of luck.

Ken ***

@Elvi0

What are you on about? You are not discriminating at all with what you describe here. 

If a guest is sketchy, without reviews or even has bad reviews you can just go ahead and decline. If they don't have an ID verification or if their demands or wishes can't be accommodated - YOU CAN STILL DECLINE.

But if you decline the guest based on their age or religion, you are discriminating and that’s a no go.

Your guest must abide by local laws and rules including house rules and must be considerate to the community.
Asking that of your guest does not equate to discriminating!

If you have the feeling that a certain guest will have issue with the local culture, with the house rules or whatever YOU CAN DECLINE THE BOOKING just as long as you don't decline on the basis of their race, religion, gender etc.

I have yet to have the email and I will tick the box, as I said it is a PR issue and I find the whole thing rather silly.

My issue is that it is both a waste of time and US centric. In some Countries I know what they are saying you have to do takes you into areas that are illegal.

US norms do not apply world wide.

David

Hey David -

Ha, ha, ha ... you are completely right - much ado about nothing. I should just tick the box, and forget it. If I do not tick the box, then they will throw me out if Airbnb and cancel my listing (God, some really angry people who are already booking my place for Christmas and New Years!). And if I DO, tick it, the worst thing that can happen is that if somewhere along the line someone actually says I broke their new rule, would be that I get thrown out and cancel my booking and have a bunch of angry people. 🙂

ok, I agree .... grit my teeth and tick the box to this silly PR stunt.

Thanks for the way out of this crazy thing..

Ken

Remeber AirBnB are looking to move at least hald their listing to Instant Book, so a lot of the comments about still being able to do basic selection will not apply.

There will be a price differential fro IB vs non IB lsitings.

Does stike me that there is market opportunity for those looking for a more traditional ABB platform, I can not imagine those in this business have not noticed the opportunity.

David

@David126

In case you still haven't seen the email?

Hi,

Earlier this year, we launched a comprehensive effort to fight bias and discrimination in the Airbnb community. As a result of this effort, we’re asking everyone to agree to a Community Commitment beginning November 1, 2016. Agreeing to this commitment will affect your use of Airbnb, so we wanted to give you a heads up about it.

What is the Community Commitment?

You commit to treat everyone—regardless of race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age—with respect, and without judgment or bias.

How do I accept the commitment?

On or after November 1, we’ll show you the commitment when you log in to or open the Airbnb website, mobile or tablet app and we’ll automatically ask you to accept.

What if I decline the commitment?

If you decline the commitment, you won’t be able to host or book using Airbnb, and you have the option to cancel your account. Once your account is canceled, future booked trips will be canceled. You will still be able to browse Airbnb but you won’t be able to book any reservations or host any guests.

What if I have feedback about the commitment?

We welcome your feedback about the Community Commitment and all of our nondiscrimination efforts. Feel free to read more about the commitment. You can also reach out to us at allbelong@airbnb.com.

The Airbnb Team

Sent with ♥ from Airbnb

Airbnb Ireland, The Watermarque Building, South Lotts Rd,

Ringsend, Dublin 4, VAT Number: 9827384L

@Ron47

If you get a booking request, who is going to monitor if you decline for a discriminatory reason?  

I suppose if they remove the profile photos it would be hard to see the age or ethnicity of the guests enquiring.  

As it stands now I am not so sure this will really have any impact for us...

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

I'm stunned to see the opposition to this anti-discrimination commitment or policy from Airbnb or whatever its called.
I can't seem to understand how this is perceived as a negative.

Many talk about discrimination towards themselves such as; I'm being discriminated against by who I will allow in my house or stupid comparisons to not allowing pets in the house and equating that to discrimination. Come on. There are house rules and then there's discriminatuon and host are not being discriminated but host have been discriminating guests and this from Airbnb should try and prevent that in the future. 

I've never discriminated against anybody and won’t be doing so in the future nevertheless but the people in here who are threatening to leave Airbnb and cancel their account because of this I say; please go ahead. I wouldn’t want to stay in a house where discrimination and stupidity rules anyway.

You might think of using Airbnb as your “business” but aren’t you aware that Airbnb is in fact THE business and nobody forces anybody to do anything that don’t want. You can easily take your “business” elsewhere and list your house on craigslist if you’d like. 

Discrimination is a real problem and should not be tolerated and therefore I will gladly accept these new terms from the company. 
I’m just glad to know that I have the possibility to rent out my house via ABB - I don’t consider using ABB and hosting via this platform a human right but I consider anti-discrimination as a human right and I’m baffled to see the opposition.

Opposition is not about discrimination. It's about airbnb blackmailing its users, dictating their policy.  This time it's complies with your beliefs. Imagine next time they do the same thing about something you discagree. Supporting them now (the method they are using, not the commitment itself), you give them right to do it just about anything!

@Ksenija5

Should ABB then just put forward a referendum on their policies then? Come on. It's a corporation and they don't blackmail people into anything - they make decissions they deem right for whatever their reason. But this reason I completely understand. Discrimination is a problem and should be handled. 

And you are right, antidiscrimination fully complies with my personal beliefs. I would suggest if it didn't I probably would be either a biggot, racist or plain stupid.

By supporting ABB as you say - (which I really don't do per say but I accept that ABB has the mandate to choose its own corporate policy) -I really don't give them any right they don't already have. Their company = their rules. 

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Ronald: 

"And then threaten me to close my account in the process if I don’t abide by your rules. How is that not discriminating?"
That's NOT discrimination - pls look up the term.

"I don’t want to deal with companies who discriminate me and try to take away my freedom of speech."
- Really ? Freedom of speech? How's that relevant to this? Discrimination towards guests is an issue and the company tries to handle it with this commitment. How you can make it about freedom of speech is mind-blowing. 

Airbnb is a company that formulate their terms of use and set their policy as they deem fit and as a user you can accept those company rules and terms or you can choose not to. Noboby is forcing anybody and you're a more than welcome to express your opinion and find another platform to do your business. 

I don't want to seem unfairly harsh but I simply can't understand this strong opposition and I can't comprehend your understanding of discriminaton in this context.