The New Airbnb Law in Italy

Katarina13
Level 1
Florence, Italy

The New Airbnb Law in Italy

Ciao from Tuscany - and hello especially to everyone hosting in Italy! Does anyone know about how the new AIRBNB LAW IN ITALY works in practise? I know that as of yesterday (1 June, 2017) a new law, called 'Airbnb Law' has come into force here in Italy, and it stipulates that (when it comes to rental periods less than 30 days) Airbnb should pay the taxes to the Italian state (using 'cedolare secca'). Then we the hosts, pay the taxes for those rents to the Italian state (always using 'cedolare secca'), and only afterwards the state refunds Airbnb. This is how I have understood it, and, moreover: the Airbnb should give us a document - a certificate - that it has paid the taxes. And this is something we'll add to our tax report.

Now, I have received no news from Airbnb about this law. Nor have I received any 'certificates'. I've contacted Airbnb twice but so far have received no reply at all. So I am rather clueless as to what is happening and what to do in this new situation. If there's anyone with more information, I'd be immensely grateful to hear it! A big grazie! 

35 Replies 35
Rosanna8
Level 2
Florence, IT

Cari colleghi, mi sapete dire per favore dove posso vedere il mio numero identificativo utente AIRBNB? Scusate la mia scarsa competenza, ma vorrei registrare gli arrivi dei miei ospiti e non ho trovato il mio identificativo.  Grazie.  Rosanna

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Rosanna8
Level 2
Florence, IT

many thanks !!!

Andrew1769
Level 1
North Logan, UT

I am being told that it is Italian law to take ID before arrival. I arrive Sunday, and they are requiring me to send photos of my ID and my guest (my wife) in order to check in. I have stayed in Airbnb around the world and have never been required to do so. I also do not believe it is “law” for me to give it to them prior. Any input? 

No one can ever explain clearly the Italian law for Airbnb even the government office. However even if for the safety reason, just show the ID in person, no need to send it or give copy to a stranger. 

That is correct. All Italian hosts are required to obtain and send copies of guests' IDs to the authorities, though most don't follow this law.