The new criteria for Super Host ratings is a cruel thing to do to loyal long time SH!

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

The new criteria for Super Host ratings is a cruel thing to do to loyal long time SH!

I will have to focus on the wrong things. Spend more time vetting potential guests. Maybe have to decline more people. My focus will shift to making sure I don't get some crazy who won't give me a bad star rating because I wouldn't run out and get them laundry detergent, come in the middle of the night and work the TV remote even though instuctions are there, or because they didn't read my listing and expected something else. This is really wrong. Richard on youtube said a new era of treating host like people on Airbnb is finally here. No, I think he didn't get the memo on this one. This is crazy. If some Boardline Personality person tells me everything is wonderful and then gives me a 3 for Overall Experience right before the end of the ratings period, how am I supposed to get all the bookings I need to get back up to 4.8?  Please don't do this on top of it! I know a lot of people agree w me. This is no way to thank your loyal hosts. Also, if someone is going to give less that a 5 in any category, they should have to explain why, like we have to explain why we don't want "Smart Pricing" or why we are declining a guest. I can assure you, I will be declining a lot more if you implement this new system. And for Value if they give less than a 5, they should be warned they will never be able to book the property again, even when the price goes down. They should be told to look for cheaper properties. As for Location, same thing and tell them to read the listing.

102 Replies 102

Mandi, Please weigh in on the 'Introducing Superhost Week' thread in the airbnb updates section, it is written by a what is apparently the new Host Success manager at Airbnb, and ignores all our regular complaints to make themselves look good with the new hosts.  You will see all level 1 and 2 postings in there, probably they should hear from the regulars.

I have a guest who booked for one, then begged to get her Maid along to help her; and i agreed, I don’t know why! Now she is here with her mom and also her driver!! Apologetic but still on! How can I handle this situation?!

Mario136
Level 2
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

As you see, I am super host no more, after about 5 years of super host status since the very beginning. 

To all guests, I always gave a long speech about grade inflation.   That 4 star in theory means good and satisfying experience. That 4 star reviews at Airbnb are damaging and bad to me. 
In some countries grade inflation has not yet happened in colleges, so it is almost impossible to get 5 star rating from a Swiss. There it is old style that 5 stars means very very good, unusually good. I requested my Swiss guest to NOT give me his 4 star rating. 

Then my co-host took over and did not do these procedures. She got two rave reviews of very satisfied guests who then gave an overall 4 star rating, probably meaning no ill to us.  They were happy, spoke well of us, and thought they were giving us a good review.  Additionally she got one cranky 3 star rating. 

Now I am an ex-super host. 

They should go back to the old rule, which still is a bit too stringent.  80% 5 star reviews. 

i feel for you.

The greater the number of guests, the greater the probability that you are going to get lower metrics.

People don't really understand the star system, and unless you tell them, they will not always award a ear splitting, fly me to the moon 5 star when they've stayed at your home several times, or are comparing you with the Bellagio.

It also forces us as hosts to scrutinize every potential guest for the probability that they will assign us with a 5 star review. There is a cute little extension on Chrome that shows you what their comments were about other hosts. if they don't review, or are picky, or make less than favorable comments, we're going to turn them down. I've dodged a few hundred bullets that way. 

The question you have to ask yourself is, at the end of it all, will it result in superior service? Or is it just a numbers game played by savvy hosts who consistently rebook the guests who give them high metrics?

I've been talking with support all day about this issue.  I had some guests leave 3 and 4 stars due to the weather, traffic in our town, and other issues out of my control.  It is quickly ruining our high ratings.  I most recently had a guest that thought it would be funny to leave staged/fake drug scenes in our home using salt, spoons, lighters, etc.  I told them we didn't appreciate it, so they left a low rating.  It's crazy how difficult it is to get a score back to normal.  It baffles me how you can have 5 stars in every subcategory and then get a 4 star overall rating because the guests had other issues during their vacation.  It only makes sense that the overall is an average of the subcategories.  According to support, the overall rating is reset after each quarter evaluation.  I don't see that happening from my experience. Has anyone else noticed the reset?  We are about ready to just give up even worrying about the superhost status, our area has a huge amount of competition and we are afraid that our listings will be buried.

Just got this response: "The overall rating will always be evaluated every quarter just like the every sub category.

The over all rating is an accumulative of all sub categories occurred in previous quarter."

I don't find this to be true.  We have reviews that have 5 stars in every subcategory and a 4 star overall.  

@Christopher375  The CS rep was wrong. 

When I questioned the specifics he closed my support case and I can no longer comment or post a reply.  So yeah.

Turabi0
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

Being superhost in here is not possible if you do that thing as your job. You prepare everything for the guest, spending efford for them and everythings going well but finally they could give 4 or 3 overall rating after all just for feeding theirselves selfish sides! So it doesn't make sense and it is not justice.

Joe492
Level 4
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My guest dont read check in instruction, he get very frustration and angry because he cant find my lockbox on his arrival day...He gave me 3 star for overall experience..what the...

Anders55
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Just dropping in to say I 100% agree that this new 4.8 review star average is ridiculous. Even heard of Airbnb’s in same area competing booking a night with the “competition” to remove their super host status by giving low star score. It is simply a flawed system where 1 bad review has more value than 100 good ones.

Oh it can happen in all sectors.  Competition wants you gone and they will do wild and wonderful things.  WE live in a very strange world where people seem to be able to justify all manner of reprehensible behavior.  

Andrea1063
Level 10
Collingwood, Canada

I am sooo tired of people not reading and not communicating when they have a chance to.  We live in a 240 character world and I hate to say it, but, it appears that younger people just don't seem to bother to read or ask questions before booking.  They can also be hyper-critical of others, while not taking responsibility for the above noted.   People who are in a foul mood,  hyper-critical and non-communicative can ruin you with 1 feedback after dozens of great reviews.  Its simply not fair. 

There should be a checklist before anyone books asking if they have read and understood the description and house rules. People should be required to explain, in detail less than 5 stars.  OR, before they click the button be reminded what it can mean to a host to jump the gun.   IF you don't like my candles scent, say something, don't suffer through it and then use the review process to let me know. 

IF you weren't following the rules, or applying common sense when sharing my space, and I've had to remind you like I was your mother, I'm sorry, but it is my home and my investment and I'm going to really nicely ask you to fix it. It also means that you have a role in the situation. 

We open our homes and guests actually do have a responsibility in ensuring a happy visit - its a two-way street and everyone has to play their part and be NICE.