The "Extra Guest" setting is broken in iPhone app

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

The "Extra Guest" setting is broken in iPhone app

There's a very problematic disconnect between the webite and the iPhone app for the Extra Guest setting. If you disallow extra guests using the website (meaning you left the Extra Guest box *unchecked* under Pricing Settings>Extra Charges and Currency), that value displays properly when the listing is viewed from a browser. However, if you view the listing using the iPhone app, it will show "Extra guests: No charge", which is clearly incorrect.

This can cause quite a problem, *especially* for hosts using Instant Book.

The only way around this seems to be (as one used to have to do for the web version, too) to check the Extra Guests box and then fill in a very high extra charge. (In the US, the max extra is $300.) That value will then be displayed when the listing is viewed via phone, and should either deter potential guests from bringing more than the listing says it allows, or will at least encourage them to ask about it first.

Be aware: There are other bugs, too intricate to go into here, having to do with the interaction between the web site and the phone app when it comes to that extra guest setting. Suffice to say that merely *looking" at (that is, opening) the setting on the iPhone can sometimes change the displayed behavior on both the phone and web. So, set it using the website, then don't set the value or even open that setting in the app.

I've reported this to AirBnB's bug system. We'll see if they do anything about it.

8 Replies 8
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Dede0,

Just to clarify, all you have to do is enter $0 in the box.  I use to give the same advice about entering a very high amount and then someone also advised me that you just need to enter $0.

Cheers

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0 I wish that was the case, but it's not. (For my listing, at least.) Until yesterday, I also had switched to the $0 value, and it *did* work properly for awhile. I'm not sure when the iPhone app started misbehaving again (I only noticed it yesterday, more or less by accident), and the web view seems to work just fine. But now, an entered value of $0 *or* simply unchecking the "Additional guests" box (in the web interface) results in the app displaying the incorrect "No charge". And, in the app itself, the related field won't even allow you to enter "$0". I just now restested all of this mulitple times.

So, for me at least, the only safe thing to do is slap an extremely high number in the field in the web interface. That results in the silly high number being shown when guests view in the app. When viewed on the web, the "Extra guest" charge isn't even shown because the web view "respects" the setting I have (2 person max) in the Basics>Accomodates field in the slide-out menu on the left when in calendar view.

I know this is convoluted, but only because there are a LOT of inconsistencies involved. As I said before, I haven't even gone into some of the other weird behaviors related to number of guests, extra charges (if any), the order in which settings are modified (or even "looked at"), or which platform is used to make modifications.

I'd begun to think that the iPhone app was catching up with the web interface, but it clearly still has a lot of problems. The trouble with some of those problems is that, like this one, they can affect hosts who don't even *use* the app.

Hi @Dede0,

I will have a look on my iPad when I get home but I did look on both my PC and my Android phone and it is not listed as an extra guest fee or no charge.  

I have seen many times where people make changes and it doe not show up on the owner's iPhone app due to the fact that the app does not clear the cache each time and the only way of having this done from what I understand is by deleting the app and reinstalling it.  I see this all the time when people change their pricing or photos and then the new pricing or photos don't appear but when i look into it with my app or computer, the changes are showing.  This might be the case... or it might not.

Hopefully this is the issue Steve.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0 I "tested" the behavior in every way I could think of (I was in the software biz for over 25 years and used to run through a lot of test scenarios), including logging out of both platforms (Chrome browser on a Mac and the iphone app) in mulitple differing orders, clearing caches, opening other parts of the app in different orders, altering other settings in between, and even rebooting the phone at times. The behavior is consistent. Again, I've only "tested" this on our own single listing and on 2 iphones of different generations. If you're seeing a different behavior, the reason might be that it's an iPhone bug that doesn't occur on Android.

I have a really old (gen 2 iPad), so maybe I'll check later tonight to see if it acts the same as my phone.

And, once again, the behavior has even more wrinkles than I've gone into, depending on some of those variables I mentioned above.

The key take-away, I think, is that hosts should at least *check* their listing from an iPhone, if possible, to see if what they (and potential guests) see there is what they expect to see. If not, one current fix (I haven't found another yet) is to go with that whackily high charge to deter people from bringing the whole darn clan!  🙂  Especially if IB is turned on and the host doesn't like surprises.

Also, @Dave-and-Deb0, you've now totally ratted me out as Dede's not-so-silent co-host -- the one who posts huge rants while logged into the listing, making those rants appear under her name. Darn!    🙂  Just kidding; I've mentioned that myself a few times, and informed others, including the moderators, privately.

@Dave-and-Deb0 See my previous comment first. Adding to that, I've now run through a series of scenarios again with my iPad involved, and in every case, the app on my ancient gen 2 iPad tracks perfectly with my iPhone 6's app. Same misbehaviors, etc. The AirBnB on each is the latest version.

Even if this bug is limited to iOS devices only, that could still affect a large number of bookings.

As I mentioned before, I entered this bug via AirBnB's bug submission system. Unfortunately, that's a complete black hole. Unlike support requests, they come right out and tell the submitter that there won't be any way to follow the progress of the reported defect. As an industry veteran, I think that's a huge mistake. They don't need to maintain a dialogue with the submitter, but they should keep the submitter appraised of the status of the issue. Or, at least, make it clear that they might get back in touch with the submitter for add'l information.

Ooops Sorry @Dede0!!!

David

@Dave-and-Deb0 Don't you mean... Steve?  🙂

You might have mentioned something in the past in a previous private conversation but I have a horrible memory Steve so sorry I outed you.

David