Had to cancel my first reservation - sad over loosing super host for a whole year!!!

Agnieszka26
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Had to cancel my first reservation - sad over loosing super host for a whole year!!!

I have been a host since 2012 and I've hosted many many guests. Today I had to cancel my first reservation. I felt very bad doing it but I had no other choice. I was shocked seeing that airbnb panalized me for it by taking away my superhost status for a whole year!! I guess being a great and reliable host for over 5 years means less than 1 complication...I am disappointed and I think its unfair. Anyone else had similar experience/ feelings about this? 

19 Replies 19
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Agnieszka26 have you talked to Airbnb about it? Maybe you could get the penalties lifted, particularly if it was an instant booking. 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Agnieszka26: I don't know the reason for the cancellation but I would at least try to get in touch with Airbnb through their Superhost Help line. Worth a phone call or at least some clarification as to why the one strike policy. 

Lok-Man0
Level 2
Spanish Fork, UT

Yeah, call Airbnb and discribe why you had to cancel the reservation.  If you have hosted for so long there's probably a very good reason why you had to cancel (uncomfortable with guest, guest had bad reviews, etc.).  So call them and explain your situation first.

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Hello there Agnieszka,

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago. I've been hosting since 2014 and was a Sueprhost from 2015-last month. Wonderful reviews, go out of my way to make guests happy, etc. etc. We host an entire home usually. However, I also have a room that is attached to our house that I only occasionally rent for special event weekends here and I kept gettnig emails bugging me about turning on instant book for that one. Well, I finally did ...and that same HOUR that I turned it on, someone instant booked it for a ONE night stay at a time when it wasn't going to be available, and I had erroneously not blocked that ONE night. I emailed her back that very hour that she booked explaining the mix up, and even offered her a free night's stay another time she is back in town for her inconvenience. She understood, no harm no foul. Next thing I see is an AirBnb email saying that I'm no longer a superhost and next time I cancel a reservation I'd be charged. I had never canceled anything before and only needed to because I was nagged into instantbooking. 

It bothered me immensely at first and I wrote to them to let them know it didn't seem right. But, after mulling it over, I don't really care. Superhost means pretty much nothing to me, or to the guests who book you if you have good reviews. It was at most very demoralizing for a brief time.

I'd be most upset it I thought it was sinking my search rankings or something like that.

I was sort of nagged into instant booking as well! I've resisted for so long and finally I did it. Not a fan of it but I just couldn't stand the email any more. You are right though, superhost or not, it doesn't mean much for the guests. Reviews are what counts. Wishing you all the best

@Agnieszka26   You understand those nagging messages about turning on Instant Book can be totally ignored, right? They are computer generated. Just stop looking at those messages and host the way it works for you.

Yes I do understand that:-) However, they are annoying nontheless and as a host I should be able to say if I want to receive them or not. Furthermore, listings with instant booking are proritized in the search so at some point after reading it over and over again I start to feel like perhaps that's the way to safe your listing from being somewhere way down the search...It just seems to me, as airbnb is s forget that we are actually offering our homes to people and  not anonymous hotel spaces avaialable throughout the year. 

Jess,  I had the same thing happen to me. I usually rent my place out when I'm not home. I decided that if I was home I would rent out the extra bedroom. So I listed it on air BNB but I neglected to block the dates were it was alredy booked for the entire home.  I wasn't even completely done with the listing but I posted it thinking I would go back and fine tune it later. Within a matter of hours someone booked it. I had to cancel and explained but I do not qualify for the super host status Because of that . 

Agnieszka26
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments. I emailed airbnb now. Let's see how it goes. Happy hosting everyone 😄

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Agnieszka26

I have definitely been successful in having them remove it. In fact, it was one of the easiest phone calls I have made to them

That souds promising 🙂 which number did you call?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Agnieszka26

Hello Agnieszka the system which generates these 'incidents' is automated and does not take into account the circumstances of the cancellation....it just responds to the fact that you cancelled a guest reservation! Agnieszka contact Airbnb CS in Copenhagen on this number for Denmark....+45 89 88 20 00

There is every probability that if you explain what you did, they will remove this penalty for you and you will retain your Supetrhost status. Customer support are not heartless and in almost all instances they are there to help you.

Just one tip Agnieszka, because you badge is still showing, you may still have your superhost phone contact option open for you.

When you call CS, call on the phone you have registered with Airbnb....the number you get your notifications on. When you call, the system will compare the number of the incoming call with the number Airbnb have on file. If the two numbers match an electronic voice will greet you as a superhost and you will be put through to the first available agent anywhere in the world. It may be Dublin, it may be Manilla, it may be San Francisco and when you call is answered (which will be in a few seconds) your information will be on the agents screen...it is that quick but, you must use your Airbnb registered phone. If you use another phone you will just go into the phone queue like everyone else and there may be a considerable wait! 

I hope this helps you Agnieszka....all the best.

Cheers.....Rob

Agnieszka26
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Much apprecited Rob. I've written email and got a reply today so the dialogue has been initiated. I will keep the number and call them if emailing seems too slow. 

Agnieszka26
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Dear all!! 

Thanks for all your messages. Customer support was very swift and helpful and they now removed all the penalties 🙂 I'm a happy host again!! Wishing you all the best.