Unrecognized Address

Dennis22
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Unrecognized Address

I got a letter saying my address is unrecognized.   I live in my home and am the owner.   I put my address on the app, but now it says Chicago doesn’t recognize it.   I don’t have a registration number.   I came downtown to Business Affairs, but they tell me it’s AirBnBs fault.  He told me they need to relist.  I call AirBnB and they can’t help.   Chicago tells me I have seven days to take down my site. I’ve been hosting two years.   Can anyone help?

92 Replies 92
Joe322
Level 2
Chicago, IL

If you have a registration number, they recognize your address. 
Simply apply for the sharing registration and the city will take it from there. 

As it stands the laws in the City of Chicago require you to register and pay the use taxes. 

Airbnb can apply for the number on your behalf. At least that is what they did for me. 

Danielle634
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi there,

I am joining this conversartion as am in the same boat as a lot of you.

I have just started hosting, and my applicartion got rejected by the city of chicago as my listing contains either an unrecognizable or incomplete address

I have just messaged AirBnB asking them to add my unit number to my listing and resubmit my application to the city. I mentioned that this problem is not unique to me and a lot of other people have had the same issue.

Any other advice for me? The letter from the city said I had to take down my posting in 7 days which I dont want to do....

We had a similar issue and have issue and have resolved it.    The problem was with the Airbnb application. I would enter my address. Click the screen or two and then hit another button. GPS software on Airbnb‘s emd would switch the address slightly. As a result, Chicago would not recognize it. I had to call Airbnb and insist on speaking with a supervisor.  I also used the address that was on my city of Chicago utility bill. I made the supervisor of manually enter it exactly.