Warning Using Other Websites For Bookings

Warning Using Other Websites For Bookings

BE WARNED!!!   For those of us who host and use other websites, such as HomeAway and VRBO for bookings, here are several instances why I really only want my guests to use Airbnb.  In fact, when I get a request from one of the others, I always try to tell them to use Airbnb but often the other websites will block out my text.  Anyhow here are several instances you should all know about:

1.  Unscheduled Reservations:  We had 4 guests just show up, out of the blue, to rent our cabin. I had no notification at all from HomeAway.  They put in a reservation as an inquiry but never finalized it.  When I called HomeAway they said it 'happens often' and that they were opening a case on this.  I have not heard one word back in days, nor do I expect to.

2. Payment:  HomeAway and VRBO typically hold the money I should be paid for my rental for days after the person has left. Airbnb deposits it, typically, before the guest ever leaves.

3.  Emails Sent Not From Me:  HomeAway and VRBO will send the guest email(s), asking for payment, in my name. As if I am the one sending the request. I don't like this at all. 

4. No Vetting of Guests:  My friend just had a guest who turned out to be 19. She told my friend she was 26. While at their guest house she invited 14 other underage kids there.  They trashed the place, uesd the towels for cleaning up vomit, wrote filthy and rude comments in their guest book, destroyed the refrigerator door, smoked and drank heavily in the house, etc.  My friend litereally had to go over and kick them out.  When they inquired on how property damage insurance works with HomeAway they told them that the guest has to admit to breaking something or they don't pay.  Who is going to do that?  Of course these websites have no vetting. Rather they told my friend it was up to them to do that. How are you going to know?? 

5. Double Bookings:  I have my calendars all synced with the other websites, and yet, HomeAway allowed a booking right on top of someone else who had booked with Airbnb weeks prior.  So I had to contact the guest myself and try to get them alternate lodging.

6. Excessive Fees:  HomeAway, Trip Advisor and VRBO charge whopping fees for the guest when booking a reservation. I have lost more than one reservation when the guest saw the final amount due, which was huge when these sites added in their hosting fees. Air beats them all charging very little.

7. Using Other Sites On Your Phone:  If I get an inquiry when I am away from home, and my phone is using an alternate tower for signal, typically the site won't let me in until it sends me a text code.  I am supposed to then log in and insert this numerical code then it will allow me to continue. When this happened recently it took so long for the code to arrive that the system 'timed out' meaning they said the code was no longer valid.  Long story short, I had to wait till I got home as it just would not let me enter the app fast enough.  I lost that reservation because of this delay.

8.  Blocked Messages:  Recently I had a guest who wanted me to call her. She was inquiring through Trip Advisor. I tried to write and tell her that I can't send her my phone number until she books as the websites won't allow that. But some word I put in the message, maybe "cell phone" or "number" blocked the entire message. They would not let me send her even that!  I lost that reservation as I had no way of telling her to use their website after trying various ways to respond!  Good grief!  Just ridiculous!

These are just things I think hosts should be made aware of when using other sites, and there are probably more I have forgotten.  If I have a guest to check in using another website, we ALWAYS tell them to use Airbnb. We tell them they paid too much, with other sites, and we always endorse Air for future reservations.  We have had no issues like those above with Air.  One more thing...try to call HomeAway, VRBO or Trip Advisor. You will be on hold for what seems like forever.  Airbnb... maybe 2 minutes! 

Your Fellow Hosts, Kim and David

46 Replies 46

The fact that they are reserving your place and not telling you is troubling.  I don't understand how this could happen.

It happened again yesterday. I get an inquiry but then there is no follow up info on bookings. But reading the other posts it appears we are not all treated the same. For example someone put that Airbnb charges 15% and yet, we have not seen that. My post is to let people know our issue as it may happen to you as well and we really don't want that. ~ Kim

@David-And-Kimberly0 that was me, a 3% host fee that you pay and a 12% service fee added on to the booking adds up to 15% that airbnb takes from every booking. Try to book a room from your own listing and look at the pricing, you will find your the same as everyone else and the customer pays a service fee on top of what you charge. I just looked at what you charge and if I booked 1 night in your cabin on the 10th of April you would be charging me $155 + $34 AUD cleaning fee and then there is service fee of $23AUD that airbnb adds, making a total of $212AUD that I would have to pay to stay the night. So you end up with around $189AUD minus 3%, but the bottom line is that I pay $212AUD to stay at your place and that effects my decion to stay.

I had a conversation the other day with a friend that is listed  on airbnb and stayz, she said she liked airbnb better as they weren't greedy like stayz who charge a whopping 10%, I pointed out to her that airbnb had a service fee, but she reckoned she couldn't care less what they charged the customer as they only charged her 3%. She could not see that to earn $100 off either site the customer would be paying $110 on stayz and $115 on airbnb.

Hats off to airbnb for a good marketing ploy for "them". We all know as hosts that hardly anyone who books reads the listing and airbnb knows that a majority of host don't actually read the terms and conditions on their website before the start hosting, I can see this by the amount of people that ask what airbnbs phone number is. 🙂  

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Crustt0 Tell your friend that Stayz only charge 7% if they handle the payment. So actually, they are pretty cheap compared to Airbnb!!

Didn't realize that, but the do have a service fee so it does end up just under 10%, last booking I had with them(last week) the customer paid $402.90 and I got $367.35.

The best way is to get on a site that you pay a yearly fee, no commissions.

Crustt, thank you for your post. Are you saying they are charging my guests fees that I am not seeing?  I checked 10 reservations but none showed a 15% fee. I will ask my next customer, who comes on Saturday, what she paid and I will see if her amount is different from the transcript that they sent to me. 

Good point!  I'll check. Thanks again. 

It's not a 15% fee, it's a 12% service charge.

Hi, If you have not noticed that Airbnb charges 15%, then you have not looked carefully. It's the same percentage they charge for all bookings. Guest pays most of the fee (about 12%), and host pays the other part of the fee (about 3%). You probably are not taking into account how much the guest is paying for fees! 

Beth23
Level 4
SF, CA

I don't understand why you would be on these sites with such problems. Why not cancel them?

Christopher153
Level 2
Park City, UT

You found a phone # for Airbnb ??? 

Yes. Their number is 855-424-7262

Thank You !!

Isabel163
Level 1
Puerto Rico

I have been using Tripadvisor for 5 years, Homeaway for 5 years and Airbnb for one year. I do not agree with your comments about Tripadvisor or Homeaway. Not true. I never ever had those problems you are talking about. More the more, Airbnb charges more to clients than the other too. Never ever Homeaway did not call or delay to call when we have an issue going on. I am sure you are paid by Airbnb to write this. Sorry, but it is true.

Isabel, no I am just a host in Tennessee.  I have no affiliation other than a host to Air.  And yet, I can tell from some of the replies that my situation is different from others, and indeed you would not even know we are all using the same websites from some of the other posts.

Yesterday I had another guy show up for a reservation that Home did not inform me of again. Now some people here are writing that they have never had an issue.  They, HomeAway, did open a 'case' on my problem but they were not sure of what happened. My friend, Lori, has never received an email saying a person booked.  But others here always get them.  Could it be an email issue?  Well I do not see any thing in Spam or Trash folders.  They told me that no email they sent was blocked.  So it's quite confusing.  I am just going to have to check each inquiry...inquiries do come through... on my own to see if they have booked or not.

What I've learned from my original post is that we are all having quite different experiences here.  And I do find that fascinating as I know the issues I am facing and yet others are not. 

I do appreciate your reply so others can see that you are not having the issues I have. 

Thanks again, Kim

Hi David and Kimberley' I have been with Stayz, which is part of homeaway family for ten years now and have not once experienced problems that you are talking about and neither any of my friends. Most likley an emails problem. What's more I am able to charge bond that people pay on top of their booking price. We later refund it within 5 days of their departure, never once had to withold bond, never had problems.  What's more I receive half of the booking price money into my account immediately and the remaining half 2 days after my guests checking in. How's about that , what's more honest of dealing with hosts, you tell me:), Cheers, Kasiia