Warning Using Other Websites For Bookings

Warning Using Other Websites For Bookings

BE WARNED!!!   For those of us who host and use other websites, such as HomeAway and VRBO for bookings, here are several instances why I really only want my guests to use Airbnb.  In fact, when I get a request from one of the others, I always try to tell them to use Airbnb but often the other websites will block out my text.  Anyhow here are several instances you should all know about:

1.  Unscheduled Reservations:  We had 4 guests just show up, out of the blue, to rent our cabin. I had no notification at all from HomeAway.  They put in a reservation as an inquiry but never finalized it.  When I called HomeAway they said it 'happens often' and that they were opening a case on this.  I have not heard one word back in days, nor do I expect to.

2. Payment:  HomeAway and VRBO typically hold the money I should be paid for my rental for days after the person has left. Airbnb deposits it, typically, before the guest ever leaves.

3.  Emails Sent Not From Me:  HomeAway and VRBO will send the guest email(s), asking for payment, in my name. As if I am the one sending the request. I don't like this at all. 

4. No Vetting of Guests:  My friend just had a guest who turned out to be 19. She told my friend she was 26. While at their guest house she invited 14 other underage kids there.  They trashed the place, uesd the towels for cleaning up vomit, wrote filthy and rude comments in their guest book, destroyed the refrigerator door, smoked and drank heavily in the house, etc.  My friend litereally had to go over and kick them out.  When they inquired on how property damage insurance works with HomeAway they told them that the guest has to admit to breaking something or they don't pay.  Who is going to do that?  Of course these websites have no vetting. Rather they told my friend it was up to them to do that. How are you going to know?? 

5. Double Bookings:  I have my calendars all synced with the other websites, and yet, HomeAway allowed a booking right on top of someone else who had booked with Airbnb weeks prior.  So I had to contact the guest myself and try to get them alternate lodging.

6. Excessive Fees:  HomeAway, Trip Advisor and VRBO charge whopping fees for the guest when booking a reservation. I have lost more than one reservation when the guest saw the final amount due, which was huge when these sites added in their hosting fees. Air beats them all charging very little.

7. Using Other Sites On Your Phone:  If I get an inquiry when I am away from home, and my phone is using an alternate tower for signal, typically the site won't let me in until it sends me a text code.  I am supposed to then log in and insert this numerical code then it will allow me to continue. When this happened recently it took so long for the code to arrive that the system 'timed out' meaning they said the code was no longer valid.  Long story short, I had to wait till I got home as it just would not let me enter the app fast enough.  I lost that reservation because of this delay.

8.  Blocked Messages:  Recently I had a guest who wanted me to call her. She was inquiring through Trip Advisor. I tried to write and tell her that I can't send her my phone number until she books as the websites won't allow that. But some word I put in the message, maybe "cell phone" or "number" blocked the entire message. They would not let me send her even that!  I lost that reservation as I had no way of telling her to use their website after trying various ways to respond!  Good grief!  Just ridiculous!

These are just things I think hosts should be made aware of when using other sites, and there are probably more I have forgotten.  If I have a guest to check in using another website, we ALWAYS tell them to use Airbnb. We tell them they paid too much, with other sites, and we always endorse Air for future reservations.  We have had no issues like those above with Air.  One more thing...try to call HomeAway, VRBO or Trip Advisor. You will be on hold for what seems like forever.  Airbnb... maybe 2 minutes! 

Your Fellow Hosts, Kim and David

46 Replies 46
Tina80
Level 4
Treasure Island, FL

Your review of VRBO is completely one sided and I have found completely wrong . VRBO guest seem to not be bargain hunters , have less complaints , less cancellations and take better care of your home . This is my opinion . 

And yes, that is a good opinion Tina. I too hope in time to have such a good working relationship with all the other hosting sites.  Perhaps in time. Who knows.

Couldn't agree with you more Tina. And other sites are much more easy to deal with and you get paid stright away. In one case I had booking oe year ahead, Airbnb charge the cutomer stright away but they didn'pay anything, not even a deposit to my account until one year later. This doesn't happen with other sites,

Cheers,

Kasia

Keith49
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

Lots of great comments.

Last night I started trying to call AIR BNB  After waiting 20minutes I hung up

I tried again this morning, after 15 minutes I got a ring and then dial tone.  Ugh

I tried again and after waiting another 10 minutes I gave up.      Wish I had the same 2 minute experience.

Keith, it may be because of the level host they have you at. We are level 3 hosts so they must take our calls faster...I guess.  If I talk to them again on anything I am going to stress my opinion that a host is a host and should be handled in a reasonable time period.  Again I am sorry for the poor customer service you received, but as I said, I am learning everyone is treated different on these websites.  Most intersting. ~ Kim

@David-And-Kimberly0 level 3 is not important... it is just some stupid level here on community center and indicates how many posts you have writen or commented

@David-And-Kimberly0....Yeah Kim, the level thing you are talking about is only relevant to the Community Centre.

And what it means is some of us need to find something more productive to do with our time than spend it over a computer keyboard.

It has no status whatsoever with Airbnb. The only thing which will affect your wait time in dealing with Airbnb is if you have 'Superhost' status!

If you require help from Airbnb themselves your best options are to contact via Twitter with a DM (that will keep the message private) or post a question on Airbnb's Facebook page.....Let them come to you, not the other way around....and they do respond fairly quickly.

Kim, you say everyone is treated differently! I don't know that that is the case. I think it all boils down to how well you are prepared, both in the sense of hosting and how well you know the rules but, also in the sense of being able to contact and provide the required information if you do strike a problem. Many new hosts do not make any attempt to aquaint themselves with even basic information like a telephone contact number.....and when the wheels fall off the wagon they blame the platform, the guest, the time of day, the way the wind was blowing....everything but themselves.

The more you know, the smoother your hosting will be and the less likely you will require the need for help!

Good luck with your hosting Kim.

Cheers.....Rob

Great post. Thanks so much.

Well , Airbnb also blocks the phone number and other website names. But I have found the way to overcome this and freely communicate with my guests. Also they charge the guests on the day of booking and hold the money on their account, the full amount. This is unethical to say the least. If we receive the booking for Christmas at the begining of the year this means they are collecting intrest on this money through the whole year and have a cheek to charge the guest extra fees on top of that and you as well. You should receive half of the money immediately after the confirmation as a deposit into your account. With other sites we can charge damadge deposit which is usually returned after the guests departure if there was no substuntial damdge. Why Airbn doesn't allow this? There is a lot of red flags with Airbnb as well

If a guest damages your place does AirB&B pay for it? When I signed up it asked how much the guest is responsible for. I put $500.00. I thought the guest would have to pay the security deposit. 

@Wendy167 just browse posts here on community center about security deposits and host guarantee... it's terrible ! 😞

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Wendy167

Wendy, I wouldn't be expecting too much support from Airbnb in the event of loss or damage. A few years ago Airbnb were a lot more generous where compensation claims were concerned but they had to cover so many of them that the Resolution Centre is now nothing more than the damage minimisation arm of Airbnb. Most claims will be rejected for one reason or another and those that they can't avoid and are accepted will be treated on a 'wear and tear' basis meaning payouts will rarely be more than about 10% of the claim value. Over the years the coverage wording has not been altered though, and is in serious need of re-writing. It's only a matter of time before some legal eagle will prize a major hole in Airbnb's liability aggreement because it is now bordering on false representation.

Wendy it is up to you to make some contigency plans of your own to cover damage done by guests. You are right, guests do have to pay a security deposit but once again Airbnb will side with the guests version of events before they will side with the host, and we are seeing many instances where the host cannot even access that for damage that may have been done. Airbnb will use excuses like...'It could not be conclusively proved which guest caused the damage'! or 'The guest categorically denied causing the damage'!

And guess who ends up out of pocket.

The best way to get around these events is to put a bit of money aside from each hosting to cover what component of the damage would not be classified as wear and tear and don't bother involving Airbnb any further than making a report that an event occured.

That way you will save your time and your sanity and by not 'stiffing' the guest you will probably end up with a good review.

Believe me Wendy, it's the lesser of the evils!

Cheers.....Rob 

Maybe try a diffrent more hands on approach. Once you can obtain the phone number communicate to your prospective client that you requere bond paid to your account which will be refunded upon their vacating the property, cheers, Kasia

Yvonne53
Level 2
Carmichael, CA

I have had simular bad experiences with VRBO. I recently had a "guest" steal several hundred dollars worth of good from my house including a TV, several blankets, an iron (my god, who does that?). Anyway. VRBO said that's too bad. They said that the insurance would only work if my posessions were "damaged" ! really? To make it worse they re-claimed the booking money as a stolen credit card was used to book the house. They said that it was not their job to vett the guest or check the validity of the payments. 

Elle4
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi David and kimberley your comments are helpful. Do you recommned any other websties that are good to use. Unfortuantely we have noticed a very big drop off in bookings with AIrbnb and need to stary looking at other ways to fill our apartments 4&5 -star properties with very good reviews.  I am in Auckland NZ what are bookings like in your city. 

Cheers Elle