Warning about a bad guest - CARA

Jenny56
Level 3
Sydney, Australia

Warning about a bad guest - CARA

I just wanted to warn everyone about a guest I had in my CBD apartment over the weekend. Her name is Cara and she instant booked the apartment last Friday at 7pm, to stay Friday night until Tuesday. She is from Melbourne and has 4 reviews, hence she could instant book, but 3 of the reviews are from a host who has 12 properties and all the reviews are exactly the same - i'm thinking he gives everyone the same review! All 4 reviews are for May this year and are all in Melbourne, so she gets around.

I took instant book off as I had a trademan coming in the day she checked out and i had told him he could go in any time after 10am and the building manager was going to let him in. At 9.45am on Tuesday I recieved a message from Cara asking to extend her stay by 4 days. I contacted her and explained that I had a tradesman arriving at some stage after 10am so she could extend her stay if she agreed to let him in (or agreed he could enter the apartment if she wasn't there). I explained he would only be in there for 10min. She responded saying that she was planning to be home all day so he could come after 3pm. I explained to her that he would definitely before 3pm so if i didn't suit her then she would need to check out. She agreed to let him in so approved the extension.

Next thing I know the building manger has been up there to let the tradesman in and Cara's boyfriend opened the door and refused to let him in.

When I rang her to find out what was going on she told me the trademan had turned up to say it would suit him better to come back when they checked out! Fortunately there was a witness to the conversation who has confirmed that the boyfriend would not let them in and told them they would have to come back when they checked out.

The building manager said there had been reports from the neighbours of many people coming and going especially Friday and Saturday night so obviously i was worried about what was going on in there

I contacted Airbnb, who contacted Cara, and the next thing I knew she had cancelled the booking. At this stage it was 4pm so I had no chance to get a cleaner in and make the apartment available. Airbnb refunded the entire amount she was charged and helped her to find more accomodation telling me that 'she had to have somewhere to stay'!

When I entered the apartment last night it has been trashed. It was beyond anything I would consider acceptable. In particular, they had stripped the bed and smeared food all over the doona and matttress protector and smashed eggs in the fridge. Needless to say the whole apartment is filthy.....

Obviously the apartment is now out of action for a couple of days while I sort this all out.

As usual, Airbnb have no interest and have supported the guest.

11 Replies 11
Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Jenny56,

Yikes! A horrible experience! The extend 'with 15 minutes to go' would have been a red flag for me personally but you were obviously trying to be flexible and accommodating.

Anyways, I hope you've taken lots of photos, gathered evidence of damaged and raised a Resolution with Airbnb. They have Host Guarantees for a reason and it seems of late, the squeeky wheel gets the oil in getting it resolved to a Host's satisfaction.

Is there any surveillance footage by chance?

Also leave a honest and scathing review. Hope it all works out.

Cheers,

Paul

Yes, you're absolutely right, the 15 mins notice is a red flag as well as the the instant book on the Friday night! I would never do it so I think it's really strange but I don't like to judge as I have had guests do those sort of things before and they've been absolutely fine, just a little disorganised....

I just heard from a carpet steam cleaner about an Airbnb apartment in Bourke St that has just been trashed way worse than mine so I'm grateful now that mine wasn't much worse.

I've been through this with Airbnb before and nothing has changed, their attitude is appalling. I have spoken to them and started the resolution process but I don't hold out much hope and think my time is better spent sorting out the apartment than arguing with them!

Airbnb really need to start supporting their hosts and taking some action to stop these people being able to book because they are really starting to get a bad name....

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely disgraceful Jenny, I'm so sorry for your experience. I would write an official formal complaint letter to Airbnb detailing the damage and including pictures then they have to respond in line with their legal complaint process. I have had Airbnb give me an unsatisfactory decision without fully investigating my concerns and I have stood my grounds and insisted on my complaint being investigated or a written explanation confirming why they have ignored all evidence I have provided and they did eventually investigate and review all the evidence and found in my favour.

I wish you all the best in resolving this matter

Ama

Thanks Ama - that's exactly what I plan to do! But not happy that I have to.....

Thanks for the heads up Jenny, unfortunately some people's behaviour is attrocious.  Sounds like a prostitute was using your apartment, there are a few doing the rounds.

You need to document everything, but I cannot strongly recommend NOT having Instant Book as you have no control who stays, I also generally do not rent to local people and like to ask lots of questions before accepting bookings, why they are staying their plans etc.  It is probably why some people lose interest and book elsewhere.

Make sure you document everything via pictures of the damage and check everything.  I had a damage incident a few months back and it was a few days later that some damage came to light and it was expensive.  You do need to find out who your case manager is, even though I had a bad damage experience AirBnB were amazing but you do need to keep at them and make sure you have all evidence.

Melanie50
Level 1
Mordialloc, Australia

Hi Jenny and everyone else.  I picked up on your chat Jenny in regards to your  shocking guest experience a few weeks back.   I was searching for information last night in regards to a delema I have at the moment as a host here in Melbourne.  I am still fairly new to hosting and last night my guest did not check in nor have I recieved any reply to the 4 airbnb messages I have sent her over the past month.  It is like she has just disappeared yet the booking is still showing "accepted" .  The guest originaly made an instant booking for the begining of April this year, but the day before her check in,  she changed her booking to a check in date of June the 9th,  with a check out date this coming Sunday.   The guests  name is very similar to "Cara".  Her name is "Clara". I looked at her personal profile and she has one review from a host back in August 2012.   When I refered to the host profile where her  review came from, I could not see a review from Clara to the host. Yet the host had reviews from guests dating  back to  Aug 2012 up until this year.  I may be paranoid as I honestly have much to learn about this hosting business, however the host appeared to have multiple listed properties ?. The last message I recieved from Clara was the night she changed her booking back in April this year. It just seems really odd to me.  This delema I am having here on my own may be just something really simple, but I guess some things you mentioned in your post Jenny just seemed a little familiar as if my guest, who is meant to be here checked in and happy, is related to your guest. I may be ever so wrong in thinking this way.  I honestly would appreciate any help in regards to my delema Jenny and everyone else :). I dont know what to do  with a disappearing guest. A big thank you to you all 

I believe you will be paid if a booking shows as ''accepted'', regardless of if the guest appears or not. Correct me if I am wrong, but surely this would be the case?

Don't worry about it.  You will still get paid.  A guest is responsible for their own booking.  If they don't show up then congratulations... free money and no cleaning required!  Lucky you.

Hi Melanie,

I don't think my guest Cara is anything to do with your guest (or non-guest!) as Cara is only 19 so in 2012 she was only 15...........

I agree with Tyson, don't worry about the 'no show',and enjoy the money!

Cheers,

Jenny

Aurora15
Level 2
Texas, United States

I want to also warn everyone about a terrible guest. Her name is [personal information hidden]. It was my first host in one of my properties and when I did a quick walk through after she left, everything looked ok and stupidly wrote a good review right away.
However, as I stayed longer for cleaning up here's what I found:
-Upstairs AC was left on 54
-Pool equipment was moved to backwash position so there were gallons and gallons of water wasted for days while a hose that we permanently leave in the pool
was trying to fill it in
-Although I sent instructions on how to open the storm sliding doors, instead of calling me they unscrew the mechanism and forced them and now they are uneven
-they tried to lower the boat lift even though we asked them to keep off boat
-some of the window frames were painted with crayons
-last but not least, I requested if they could leave the dirty towels and sheets in laundry room and they literally took absolutely everything from the beds( dust ruffle, shams, cushions, feather comforter ) etc and left a huge pile in the laundry....
The host from hell....
Please keep that name in mind because the expense of repairs is more than the earnings

Annette22
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I'm so sorry you have had such bad experiences. So far I haven't had anything terrible, but I never use instant book, I ask questions, and I trust my 'feeling' about every enquiry. I decided at the beginning of hosting (12 months ago) that if something didn't feel right I wouldn't accept a booking. That could mean anything from an actual feeling of unease or a lack of information from enquiring guests or what I would consider a 'strange' question. I let them know that I stay nearby and that I have great neighbours and we all look out for each other. 

I've also become aware that if they are guests who are disrespectful, they don't leave a review, which means my review won't be added to their site so they get away with it! Am I wrong about this?