Waste Not, Want Not

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Waste Not, Want Not

I'm a spider-loving, tree-hugging, recycle-repurpose-reuse junkie if ever you met one and I just wanted to share with new hosts who provide breakfast a way to not waste food, to use it to serve future guests.

I provide fresh fruit with my breakfast.  At some point, the bananas are freckled and for reasons I can't understand, people think they're "rotten".  They're  not.  They're just sweet as all get out.

I make banana bread with freckled fruit.

I make lemon/blueberry bread with lemons and blueberries that are shrivelled.

I look at the expiration date on almond milk, coconut milk, cow's milk and then I bake until I can't bake anymore.

I freeze strawberries that are looking less pretty and prepare smoothies for my guests.

I set out a greeter table at arrival with cheese and fruit and blah-blah-blah.  Take the cucumber water that didn't get used after two days and water your plants with it.  It's compost tea!  Take the cucumbers IN the water and compost them or lay them on your houseplants.  Everytime you water, the cucumber values will leach into the soil.

Cantaloupe and honeydew are a little trickier as they are water heavy and are easily disposed to freezer burn if frozen.  Wrap them tightly, tightly, tightly in Saran wrap in cubes of four.  Make a smoothie with four cubes.  You won't need ice because the frozen fruit serves as ice cubes but the flavor will be amazing.

If you have a juicer, WORK THAT MOFO! and take your less pretty fruits and vegetables and mill them.  Pour them into a good glass jar with a screw cap and you'll offer your guests milled juices they couldn't buy on the open market at an affordable price.

I waste no food.  Neither should you.

Respect your money.

Respect the planet.

Repurpose, recycle, reuse.

It's the right thing to do!

0 Replies 0