What are your red flags when it comes to guests?

What are your red flags when it comes to guests?

Hi,

I am a brand new host. I have been fairly lucky in not having any issues with guests yet.... but being so new I was wondering what are red flags for more experienced hosts? What is usually something you see on a persons profile that leads to reject them? 

46 Replies 46
Nela6
Level 2
Pocono Pines, PA

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie and hope for some wise words.

I have a large house located in the rural, woody area, close to the sky slopes. The area is a known vacation spot attractive to the city dwellers and others who like to unwind. 

I just started renting in late December 2017 and it has been rocky road. I seem to attract party groups although I state No Parties in my description. Recently I had a guest who booked for 2, for a quiet weekend with his girlfriend but arrived with 5 vehicles, 10+ people (we have outdoor security camera). I had chocolate drink spilled on the carpet in the master bedroom, chocolate smeared on the curtains in the 2nd bedroom, all over the chairs in the dining room, trash mixed in with recycling (and you should see the amount of trash!!!), the floors were incredibly dirty, tomato sauce spilled all over the floor in the kitchen. With some past guests I would have heath on highest setting in the whole house and all, ALL windows open - that was 10 days ago when we had a cold spell 14 degrees Fahrenhights. People walk all over the hardwood floors with wet snowy shoes leaving salt/calcium deposits that ruin the floors, despite my rule not walk on hardwood in wet shoes...

Is this something I should get used to? Please tell me if this is normal because I am having a hard time accepting it.

Regards,

Nela 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why on earth didn't you call Airbnb and cancel the booking when you saw them turn up with 10+ people?

This is only normal with hosts who have large properties which they let remotely and don't have someone locally to manage things for them.

It could be that your property is priced too cheaply and you are therefore attracting people who exploit your place.

Certainly not normal, but you need to manage your place properly to minimise the risk.

I do hope you left honest reviews for these guests and put in a claim for damages.

If someone books for 2 people and then 5 cars show up and 10 people spill out, normally they would be stopped at the door.

You should NOT have to put up with this behaviour. It’s terrible

Red flag if they use the term "we will treat your house as if it's our own". Yeah , they will, because they are pigs, very honest pigs, but still total pigs.

Creeps who ask how private the pool area is, some even disclose they will be doing skinnie dipping. Makes me want to wipe down my computer with Purell just seeing these questions, ewww, noooo!

Good one @Scott-and-Ingrid0. Everytime I hear "we will treat your house as if it's our own", I want to ask them for a picture of their place.

I am usually wary of people that do not put thier picture on thier profile. As a single woman, I feel safer knowing who I am opening my door to. Additionally if there is someone with no previous reviews I have hosted them. I pay attention to educating the person on an Airbnb experience and the difference between staying in my house where I am onsite versus in a hotel situation. 

Hi  @Beth235

Did you know that it’s an Airbnb requirement for every  guest AND HOST to upload a clear front facial photo. (No sunglasses are allowed either)

I take care of this by making sure my guests read about it in House Rule #1 in my listing. That’s how I educate them.

Some of them will connect their new Airbnb account to their Facebook account which will use the photo from their Facebook (Which is part of the problem).

I just explain to them that once they comply with Airbnb’s requirements as clearly stated in my house rules, I can move forward in accepting their request.

Last week,  I received a booking request that sent me a beautiful apology for not using the right profile photo ...{after she read my rules}. Haha.  

She had a photo of her cat... which I loved but that’s not gonna work for my listing.

I need to see her smiling face instead. And she fixed it within minutes. Can’t wait to host her and her boyfriend today 🙂 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thanks Momi, 

I am not sure why when I asked Airbnb about this I was told that it does not matter what photo the guest uses, and that it is not uncommon for a person to put a photo of thier dog, or a nature scene. 

Where is this stated? 

Thanks for your support!

Hi Beth  @Beth235

The requirements for the guest and hosts are located on Airbnb website . 

As an attorney, I read everything.  Lol

I assure you it is definitely the policy of Airbnb that all profiles must have a clear front facial photo.  Go to the website and click on help and type in the question.  It will pull it up for you.  That’s the easiest and fastest way to find it.  This is what I teach every host that hires me. (Always use the HELP button,  do not rely on this community center for the most accurate information.) - 

Another great tip :  I always put the stars  IN THE REVIEWS I WRITE. 

Heres a partial example of a 2017 review. 

Cleanliness:  3 stars 

This guests (couple) left trash on the floor throughout their stay and required more daily cleaning of their bathroom then most of my previous guests.  They also had to be reminded every day to bring their breakfast dishes to the kitchen.  

((ANOTHER RECENT GUEST)) 

Communications: 5 Stars. 

This guest was very quick to respond to my questions.  They always provided great details  and even made me laugh during the booking process. 

Communicating with them during their stay was a complete joy . 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

@Beth235 

Oh and one more thing ,  my rules also state that I must receive the FULL name and clear facial photo of any traveling companion guest that is coming with the person who booked our private bedroom/family home. 

I can tell you that this rule has done a great job for what I need to feel safe.   I’ve had a couple of people that did not want to comply with that .. so Airbnb cancelled their IB.  Easy peasy. 

One of my favorite quotes is from Dr. Phil ...  “those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.” LOL 

By the way, one of  my dear friends (host) had her house completely surrounded by FBI agents and Police because it turns out  She allowed an escape prisoner to check in    After using another friends account to create the booking .  And YES, the friend did it for him . Which is another violation of Airbnb terms.  My rules prevent that from happening! 😉 

Yep,  the red flag was DEFINITELY there when she checked him in with no luggage,  no bags , no wallet, etc!  I’m just so glad she is safe and ok. Lesson learned. 

Aloha, Momi

That's horrible. I am so sorry for your friend. I recently had a woman who in my opinion had deep psychiatric problems. Airbnb did little to support me, despite me pointing out that other guests in my home were afraid of her. I was so relieved that she left early. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

Susan651
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

I just had a horrible experience with a guest (Yusimi from Haileah, FL ... Is that allowed?) in which AirBNB gave them an $800 refund for the ac out in one of several rooms and a dirty window seal! So disappointed in AirBNB. There needs to be a bad guest directory of guests who look for fault or fish for refunds.

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

Red Flags to prevent bad guests? I can definitely say: No profile picture and not responding back to a message. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Anyone asking about bending the rules, such as bringing in pets when the listing says "no pets".

Anyone who wants to debate my price.