What do you suggest when a guest wants to drop off their luggage before check-in time?

Answered!
Jim-And-Marla0
Level 1
Jamestown, NC

What do you suggest when a guest wants to drop off their luggage before check-in time?

We have a guest, who has booked an experience for next week, and they are from Alberta, Canada. We only have their first name and they have asked if it is ok for them to drop off their luggage at 8am.  Check-in time is after 5:00pm.

What do other hosts do in this situation?

1 Best Answer
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

I always say yes. They cant possibly drag luggage around all day. I dont let them enter the room if its not perfectly ready so their luggage can sit in our dining room or laundry room until they check in.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

Um...yes.  I give my house keys to all my Airbnb guests.  How else can they get in and out of the house?  It makes no difference to me if I give them the keys a few hours earlier than the official check-in if they need to drop off their luggage.  One way or another these "total strangers" are going to have the keys to the house anyway.  

Yes, they will have the keys, but before the "official" check in time I feel it is a different matter. Hotels, for example, don't give entry keys to their guests before check in time unless they pay for an early check in and so there is clear evidence that guests have already checked in and that have access to the house. With Airbnb one can only go by what your listing specifies. The bags dropping is something I do not like providing because it is an extra responsability free of charge. To me it is a bit much.

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

With my rooms upstairs I allow it.  Why not?  The way my house is set up it is not a problem and why not help someone out.  In my downstairs suite if I did not have a guest leaving that day then sure why not but if I do then I would have to say no as there is no place to put it that it would be secure.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I'm super-accomodating and always say "yes", even to very early drop-offs like 8 a.m. (although it's rarely that early, more often around 11 a.m. ish).    I have them put the suitcases in a corner in the living room.   I don't let them enter or see their bedroom until it's ready (around 3 p.m.), but I do let them use the rest of the house if they want to (most leave right away and come back later, but some want to use the bathroom, and after a long flight I don't blame them and I let them).   I also give them the keys to the front door and their bedroom and tell them they're free to come and go.  That way there's no problem if they return when I'm not home.   I realize that not all hosts have this kind of flexibility (I'm retired so I'm always available), but it sure goes a long way in making a good first impression and setting a positive tone. 

Extreme generosity can be nothing but positive. Guests like to maximize their stay. I understand that. But I can't simply be that generous. I would have to be either all day at home or pay somebody to offer a free service to guests. That is my view.