What does Report this user mean?

Denise-And-Mark0
Level 2
Moffat Beach, Australia

What does Report this user mean?

When checking someone's profile - what does report this user mean?

26 Replies 26
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

If you think it is a fake listing, it is time to report.  I have reported one that I suspect were a prostitute.

did you get information from airbnb about their findings about the user you reported? How do you know if the report about the user is accure?

@Emma114 Due to privacy concerns, Airbnb will never disclose information about another user.  

I meant to say, once you report a user, would airbnb respond back to you (the reporter) and clarify where the user you reported is legit or not.  What if you report someone and it is legit?  I had two inquieries that look suspicious and I would like to report them but I don't want to report someone wrong.

@Emma114 It is very difficult for Airbnb to tell you whether a listing or a host is "legit" or not.  To use a well worn phrase, it all depends on the meaning of "legit".  Is the host asking guests to violate Airbnb's terms of service? Are they nice people? Is the listing real?  

Give me an example of your concern and I'd be happy to give you guidance on whether you should report a user or not. 

Clare

Well, for example I had a brand new guest, male who had no reviews. So I was his first host. First night he worked until 11:30PM so I had no interacxtion with him because we each went to our rooms, but the second evening he got home earlier and we started to talk. I like to reach out to my guests one per day to ask if they need anything and with this guy, since he was from a middle easter country I mentioned I had greek coffee I left on the table and invited him to make some for himself.  In the evening when he came home he asked me to make him coffee although it was 11 PM. I personally cant sleep if I drink any coffee after 5PM so I didnt join him. He was very inquisitive, and started to ask questions about my job and why did i host people. I told him i was a single mom and needed help to pay my sins tuition then he added he was separated himslef and proceeded to ask me if I will remarry. He asked questions about my exhusband, my visa status - I'm a citizen, thank you - that I was very uncomfortable to answer. I mean he was a total stranger and verytall, very big, kind of like a bear. I was thinking if this guy atacks me I have no chance. I didn't know how to answer as to not put him off and attack or give me a bad review, so I chose to answer jokingly and doged the questions and talk about work, mostly. Then he asked me if he could stay with me longer but outside Airbnb. I said I needed to check my calendar. Next morning I replied to him on Airbnb platform  from my room that somone else has booked the room and that so sorry but it wasn;t available anymore. When I got to work I saw that he texted me on my phone number saying he will miss my coffee and conversation and begging me to allow him to stay in the livingroom on the sofa, if the room was not available. i was very uncomfortable with this guy and I was SO happy he was out of my house. Should I report him? I think I should.

Hi

Is there an email address that one can send the communications to?

Thx

Did Airbnb verify their profile?  Are they not suppose to issue a government state ID?  I have had 4 different listings asking the same questions (i.e. is this a private house? Does someone else share the house?). If the name on the profile does not match their ID, will Airbnb allow them to request reservations?  

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Denise-And-Mark0 When you flag a user or a listing, it will be referred to Airbnb for review.  They will take a look at the user and / or listing and evaluate whether they should remain or not. 

Does Airbnb send you information about their findings about the user you reported?

Peggy7
Level 3
Ringgold, GA

I used it once for someone who send an booking inquiry just to advertise their cleaning service.

Hi thanks for this, I've been a host for just a week, so I'm still learning the ropes though I've been part of the Airbnb community as a guest and have received really good reviews. 

2 questions: I received someone advertising their airport pick-up service, I'm thinking of reporting this. 

2) A new Airbnb user inquired about dates at my listing that are available, ie. Jan 16-18 2017. But she is actually after Dec. 28-Jan. 1 which are listed as unavailable. Seeing that she is new and I was overseas, I wanted to give her a quick response as it is afterall a peak period. As I had previously received warnings from Airbnb on declining inquiries on my listings when they are available on my calendar, I politely asked her to refrain from doing this to other hosts  and to withdraw her inquiry. She went on to ask the Airbnb community about whether hosts would be subjected to penalties for not accepting reservations without telling the rest what she did wrong in the first place, and then accused me of falsely accusing her. I would like to warn hosts in my country about this lady as I really don't think it's fair that hosts take the time and effort to update their calendars and someone like that thinks they can just skirt around the issue. When I was new to Airbnb as a guest, I never did that to my potential hosts.

So question: should I report this person? 

Thanking you in advance for your time and advice. 

@Cp1

Report the message as spam and the profile as spammer or something appropriate like "should not be on airbnb"

If you get a request like this - simply pre-approve.  They are not likely to make a booking and the pre-approval does not block your calendar and will expire after 24 hours.

Thanks so much! I really have a lot to learn from you 😄