Why I ended up booking a hotel

Julien75
Level 2
Montrouge, France

Why I ended up booking a hotel

This is an open letter to Airbnb.

This past few days I was looking to book a flat in Grenoble, France (the 16th biggest French city in terms of inhabitants).

It was not possible.

I made 5 reservation in the frame of 5 days, and all I got was refusals.

It had nothing to do with my profile or my reviews.

It was simply because of laziness: hosts not updating their rental agenda.

This got me so frustrated that I ended up booking a hotel (3 stars) that was cheaper that most intended reservations, and with breakfast included!

It would be much appreciated if Airbnb was to send a reminder to hosts, encouraging them to update regularly their agenda, because utilmately it's degrading the experience and the image users have of Airbnb as a reliable service, and costing you money.

Best,

Julien B

I am copying/pasting the last conversation I had with a host, as a proof of my trials, and failures.

Hi Julien, I can understand your frustration - it's very annoying. Your reviews are very complimentary so you don't need to worry about that. My children are coming to stay for the long week - I have just updated the calendar - thanks for the reminder. But there are so many rentals in Grenoble, I'm sure you'll find one. Best of luck with your search Michele
Aujourd'hui à 11:27
Is it? Really? Its the 5th refusal I have in 5 days... I'm starting to wonder if someone left me a bad review (which would be very surprising) or if the people in Grenoble aren't very welcoming... sorry for taking it out on you but I'm tired of people not updating their flat rental agenda on airbnb, this is so rude. I'm gonna send a message to airbnb, because this is becoming endemic.
Aujourd'hui à 11:12
DEMANDE REFUSÉE AUJOURD'HUI À 09:02

Hi Julien, So sorry - the flat is not available on the days that you mention.Enjoy your stay in the city. Best Michele
Aujourd'hui à 09:01
DEMANDE ENVOYÉE HIER À 23:22
Hi Michelle, We are coming to Grenoble next week to discover the city, and we would like to book your apartment which looks lovely and cosy. Would it be available for that period? Best regards, Julien & Anel
Hier à 23:22

33 Replies 33
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

1. Obvious one that people do not keep they system updated
  2. Discrimination
  3. Guests do not read the listing and are not a good fit
  4. Hosts do not think the guest would be a good fit
  5. Sync issues with other booking systems, seems a major issue
  6. Bug issues with the AirBnB system, seems to happen a lot

I do not get same day bookings very often, on a Sunday out of season not going to happen. If somebody books now I will take them, but I will need to go out at some point, do I take my rooms out of the sytem or just forget about it.

I have also had same day bookings late at night, do I take my rooms when I go to bed or fall asleep on the sofa?

The vast majority of people on AirBnB are individuals they do not operate as a Hptel, they do not offer a 24/7 service.

David

@Julien75,

4 days ago I send a request to book a flat in Paris for 4 days at the end of November. I never had any answer and the request expired. And you know what, the host is an Airbnb employee!!!

I see, thats really bad to read. 

@Sandra126   you mean ID I guess? 

Dont know what makes some hosts reject (and not even give an excuse politely) but its frustrating. Someone has to apply 20 listings before getting one?  

I agree the reply rate shows how good a host is....

@Family-Andreou-Leonida0, no I really did mean IB (Instant Booking).

Aha ok thanks for clarifying;)

So far did not have an IB cancel but then im not avid/super user as guest in Airbnb so others might have more to say on this. I just think that IB to me means more serious/committed host but also as mentioned already checking the reply rate/timing is also a very good indication. 

Its a pitty that we are so treated in Airbnb because some Airbnb hosts or guests are really nice people to meet, host , be hosted by. Lets not leave the bad ones win the impressions.  I would say focus on IBs and also on checking host's profiles before trying to book.  I had bad experiences in hotels too so I cannot say Airbnb is bad and all hotels are great.

@Family-Andreou-Leonida0, I am an extremely serious, driven, motivated host who does not use IB. Why? Because I am serious, driven, motivated. I do not want guests who are not a good fit for my listing, I do not want any cancellation record, I want to say YES, WELCOME, thank you for booking.

If you spend any time here on the forum you will see plenty of hosts (one a day, maybe) who say ''someone booked me without my approval and I cancelled, how do I unblock my calendar?'' (new hosts), others cancel because of double booking, because of babies,dogs,too many guests for the space, you name it. If someone sends a message first saying ''Hi, we are 7 guests, I know the listing says 5 only but is there a way to accommodate us?'' Instead of just booking it, THEN mentioning it and getting cancelled. Makes the host look very bad and not something I am interested in.

@Sandra126,

I you have IB turned on your listings you can cancel penalties free if guests breach your house rules. And there is no max number of cancellation free in this case.

When guests booked with IB my home (max capacity 3 pax) greeting me 'Hi we will be 5 instead of 3' I just phoned CS who cancel the booking without any penalty. I did it at least 4 times and I'm still SH with no automatical review on my profile.

You can also cancel 3 IB per year choosing 'I don't feel comfortable with guests' without penalties.

Exactly, a reason why you as a guest are more likely to be cancelled on. And who wants to have their booking cancelled?

But thank you, I didn't know the cancellations don't show, they seem to do so when I look at host listings with IB who have cancelled a few, all there to see. Certainly doesn't entice me or make me believe they are good hosts. Will my booking still be there? Who knows. I booked on IB once, didn't hear from the host for several weeks, had to message repeatedly before I heard anything regarding check in. She hadn't checked her messages amd apologised, all was fine but I can hardly call it professional or dedicated.

@Anonymous  What is this magical CS you phone?

Recently, I have had a few people who just want to have their college kid stay with them for a break from the dorm....they make the request in a time frame where they can still cancel but too close to arrival to be sure of a new booking, so I gave in.  Of course the promised air mattress never appearred and they used every bit of bedding I had to put the kid on the floor.

@Amy38,

Not a magical one, a competent one. I don't care if the cancellation is too close to book something else for a good reason: if I allow it just 1 time I could loose my insurance and official city authorization.

And to be honest I no more care about guests who don't read your listing description, don't answer to your messages through Airbnb and finally your phone calls. To some extend it is their responsibility, not mine.

But there is a magical word: NO 😉

@Anonymous

you mentioned you called CS to resolve issue...is CS customer service?  Here we get very little joy from them.

Yes @Amy38.

We had many occassions where hosts would cancel last minute, that was frustrating. 

[link removed]

Adriano40
Level 2
Brasília, Brazil

Well, I've been looking through Airbnb for a few weeks now. It's my first internationalt trip (Belgium and Netherlands), and I was hoping to find a place where I could be comfortable without breaking the bank. But I just give up. I contacted a bunch of hosts, more than half turned me down, one of them without even replying to my message, which I thought was extremely rude. I finally managed to book one place, but after one week I got a message stating that my payment was being refunded, and I wasn't given a reason. The host simply ignored my message asking for an explanation. It's all very unprofessional and I can't risk arriving at a foreign country with my family without a reservation, especially seeing as some hosts cancel reservations at the last minute without thinking twice, apparently. Goodbye.

@Adriano40

Look for superhosts.  They are experienced, reliable and do not cancel reservations.  Instant Book hosts do not have the option to turn you down if you meet their criteria.  

As you are new to airbnb and do not have any previous reviews, perhaps provide more verifications like a government ID.  And write an introductory message presenting your family and your reason for visiting.  

Also - use the "family friendly" filter to find a good match for a family.