Why I ended up booking a hotel

Julien75
Level 2
Montrouge, France

Why I ended up booking a hotel

This is an open letter to Airbnb.

This past few days I was looking to book a flat in Grenoble, France (the 16th biggest French city in terms of inhabitants).

It was not possible.

I made 5 reservation in the frame of 5 days, and all I got was refusals.

It had nothing to do with my profile or my reviews.

It was simply because of laziness: hosts not updating their rental agenda.

This got me so frustrated that I ended up booking a hotel (3 stars) that was cheaper that most intended reservations, and with breakfast included!

It would be much appreciated if Airbnb was to send a reminder to hosts, encouraging them to update regularly their agenda, because utilmately it's degrading the experience and the image users have of Airbnb as a reliable service, and costing you money.

Best,

Julien B

I am copying/pasting the last conversation I had with a host, as a proof of my trials, and failures.

Hi Julien, I can understand your frustration - it's very annoying. Your reviews are very complimentary so you don't need to worry about that. My children are coming to stay for the long week - I have just updated the calendar - thanks for the reminder. But there are so many rentals in Grenoble, I'm sure you'll find one. Best of luck with your search Michele
Aujourd'hui à 11:27
Is it? Really? Its the 5th refusal I have in 5 days... I'm starting to wonder if someone left me a bad review (which would be very surprising) or if the people in Grenoble aren't very welcoming... sorry for taking it out on you but I'm tired of people not updating their flat rental agenda on airbnb, this is so rude. I'm gonna send a message to airbnb, because this is becoming endemic.
Aujourd'hui à 11:12
DEMANDE REFUSÉE AUJOURD'HUI À 09:02

Hi Julien, So sorry - the flat is not available on the days that you mention.Enjoy your stay in the city. Best Michele
Aujourd'hui à 09:01
DEMANDE ENVOYÉE HIER À 23:22
Hi Michelle, We are coming to Grenoble next week to discover the city, and we would like to book your apartment which looks lovely and cosy. Would it be available for that period? Best regards, Julien & Anel
Hier à 23:22

33 Replies 33

Thank you for the advice, Marit. I did provide an ID, a verified phone number, connected my Facebook profile and even asked for friends to vouch for me. The whole process is just way too much trouble, at least that's the impression I get. Especially since in the end a decent hotel ended up costing about as much as I was going to pay for the airbnb place.

Thats more or less what happened to me

@Adriano0, I ended up booking a serviced apartment in Sydney after giving up on trying to book airbnb, even though my circumstances were different.  I do not like staying in hotels.  I don't know what your budget is, but I know in some Netherland cities, including Amsterdam, they also have serviced apartments.  The apartment ended up costing us far less than a hotel room.  I checked ratings on Trip Advisor before renting, and all of the serviced apartments were given near excellent ratings.  Just a thought.  

I am looking into those too. Thanks.