Why are people allowed to give you enquiries with no verification's?

Rachel7
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Why are people allowed to give you enquiries with no verification's?

In my settings I have ticked the box to NOT allow unverified people to rent out my flat. However, there is a loophole here that Air bnb have NOT thought of. I regularly get "enquiries" sent to me asking if such and such a date is free, yet they are NOT verified and more often than not have no reviews. I obviously have to say No to them, but this then, in turn, effects my rating on my listing. The more I decline, the more I get knocked down on air bnb's listing when you do a search. I once was so annoyed about this, as I had to do two in one day, I tried to contact air bnb, but as there was no relevant issues on the page - I could not get an email or phone number to call anyone. If you just leave it, you only have 24 hours to respond to them - either decline or pre-approve. You have to choose otherwise AGAIN it will affect you're rating and response rate. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

7 Replies 7
Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rachel7,

Plenty of ways to get in touch, I think it's the second pinned post on the total forum: a lot of phone numbers for different countries, UK is defo in there!

For me, I also want to see the governement ID! It's a bare minimum for me as well. May sound funny, but have you ever asked a potential guest to get that uploaded?! That's what I do in that 24hr window you mention, someone has never said no to that. You happy you have a booking, guest happy they have a place and got great support from their host already 😉

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I think it is a way for airbnb to bully hosts into accepting all sorts.  Not cool.

My personal loophole is to message that they need to upload their id before they can book. Then I pre-approve and remove the pre-approval as quickly as I can. This way the little clock stops ticking and no need to decline.

Rachel7
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

That does sound like a good loophole, but surely if you cancel the pre-approve - you still get a red mark against your name no?

@Rachel7

I am not sure about the red mark - I have not had the feeling there is a negative side to removing the pre-approval.  But then again, I do not receive that many inquiries.  

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

They still have to complete the verification before booking. I'm not sure why this is an issue for you. As long as they complete the verification before booking, why does it matter whether it's before or after an inquiry? Just not sure what the specific problem is??

Thanks to all who answered, but even if they do book & verify - I really don't like it if I am the first they have come to, signed up that day.

One of my friends did that, and she got prostitues at her door.........it's something that I wish I could choose rather than air bnb.  This is my home, I stay in it, I want to feel safe...........

@Rachel7

But you are free to decline such inquiries and you can use the settings so that you do not receive last minute bookings.  If these declines will backfire like those on booking requests, I do not know.  

Being vigilant is necessary though and checking the profile before pre-approving is necessary.  A pre-approval allows the potential guest to instant book - perhaps also without being properly verified - there is a pre-approval after all.....

If potential guests do not meet your verification or other reqirements, they will automatically go to inquiry modus, so it is necessary to be extra vigilant with inquiries.  I fear it is a sneaky way to make us accept those who do not meet our requirements.