Why does Airbnb not have a pet fee option for hosts? SO simple!

Shelley56
Level 1
Austin, TX

Why does Airbnb not have a pet fee option for hosts? SO simple!

Unless I'm missing something, there is NOWHERE in the current listing options to add for a pet fee to be automatically applied, like the cleaning fee. This seems a VERY easy, standard, common thing so I cannot figure out why Airbnb does not have this feature as a host option.

Why, Airbnb - why do you not have this very simple option for hosts??

35 Replies 35

Because of that, we have to have a conversation with the guest before we accept them, where we explain that after they pay their reservation, we will have to send a reservation change request, adding the fee.  Then they will have to accept the fee.  Sometimes, this works just fine, although its time consuming.  Other times I've had guests flat refuse to pay, even though they've agreed to in writing in the message center.  Then I have to get customer service involved.  This takes time as well.  The most recent time it was a nightmare.  If the hosts could have just added their pet fee to their reservation when they made it, if I could have sent them a special offer with the pet fee included (can't do that if they've already tried to book, already committed to booking, not just inquiring), then we could have have worked out any misunderstanding about the actual price before they paid.

Airbnb doesn't allow payment requests until the guest has paid in full #1 and guests cannot pay it through their mobile device. They either have to be at their computer or call in the payment.

Alicia242
Level 5
Salem, MA

Any resolutionor suggestions on this topic as I am pondering all here. Adding for pets, breakfast, a tour etc ( I am a former tourguide) does this all have to be charged ahead of time? I am thinking to add a few extras that guest can opt in on. But I need to charge them for the extras. I would think the guests would be happy to.   I think it is great that we as a host can collect money from a guest without either of us having to pay airbnb. Thoughts on this?  

Not sure pet fee is worth it, most pets are also Emotional Support Animals so are free anyway.

Breakfast you can include in your normal rate. Not sure it makes sense to charge on an occasional as required basis.

Tour best mentioned in your listing and charged outside of ABB.

David

@David126  Very interesting to know,  so if a host is allergic to dogs they still have to allow the dog by law? Im not sure I agree with that law...I am not allergic thankfully. However, I would not want non obedient dog, non potty trained or constant barker here. It against my townhouse rules so not sure howd that work I could mention that if I opt in to advertise for dog friendly. Id say more ES dogs are very well behaved though...  Yes, I realize that I can obviously include for breakfast in my normal rate. However, not everyone wants breakfast( why should they have to pay) and I am not available all of the time to make breakfast. It would have to be case by case and just an option.  Good idea about the tour  thanks

Emotional Support dogs are specifically not covered by the ADA. A dog must be required because of a persons disability and must have been trained to perform a specific task such as alert a diabetic that their sugar has dropped or provide balance for a person who has dizzy spells or let a deaf person know they dropped their Keyes. Just because a person feels better when their dog is with them is specifically excluded from the accommodations required for actual service dogs 

More info here

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

If if you are allergic to dogs let the person with disability know that. Be kind but inform them. If they insist on staying in your home anyway then ask them the two questions you are allowed to ask. Chances are then the service dog is a scam. 

Also. The ADA does not allow a service dog to be left behind at any time. The dog MUST ALWAYS accompanying the person with the disability 

Unfortunately Airbnb treats them as service animals.

@Alicia242

Not by law, only if the booking is through AirBnB, I used ESA Dog as an example, AirBnB say Assistance Animals which could include pretty much anything.

I did get my pup his ESA tags from Amazon for less than $10, however that was more for my amusement, tags are not needed by AirBnB.

David

Here is a link to Airbnb’s policy on emotional support animals. Just because you feel better with you pet around does not qualify your pet as a device animal. You must be under a doctor or therapists care and your support animal must do more than just make you feel better.   https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

“Emotional Support Animal: Airbnb defines assistance animals to include Emotional Support Animals. These are animals that are used as part of medical treatment and/or therapy to assist with an individual’s daily functional tasks, but are not limited to a specific type of animal and are not required to be trained to assist an individual in a particular task. These animals are sometimes referred to as comfort animals or therapy animals”

@Alicia242 - no, it does not need to be sent ahead of time.  We provide a meal plan and charge after the fact.  We charge for use of laundry, all after it's done.  We charge for that extra friend/child who only stays one night during a 3-night stay - typically the next day during the stay! We have found you can charge multiple times, not just once.  

Alicia242
Level 5
Salem, MA

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Excellent ! Good to know thank you!

Alicia242
Level 5
Salem, MA

@David126 Got it! I just read up about it. The Airbnb rules around this topic are quite the hot topic and I get why.

Ohh yes!

My ESA is a 168lb Great Pyrennes. Now he is very friendly but no way would I personally force him on a AirBnB host, especially one who says no pets.

But we all know there are some people out there who will take full advanatge.

I allow dogs and have not had somebody turn up with an animal other than a dog, I have had people leave their dog behind all day, never thought anybody would do that, I would not.

So now I ban that. I do not have many rules, that is the only one I have added.

I think it would be difficult for someone to pull the Assistant Animal card and then say they are leaving it behind all day....

David

Both the ADA and Airbnb say the service animal must stay with the disabled person https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal