Why doesn't Airbnb allow hosts to include VAT / State Tax as seperate line item under costs?

Matt11
Level 2
Boston, MA

Why doesn't Airbnb allow hosts to include VAT / State Tax as seperate line item under costs?

State and/or city taxes are becoming pretty standard across the board.  Why is there no way to put the % of state tax under costs for bookings?  I just had two guests autobook today and can't seem to find a way to charge them the tax through Airbnb without altering their reservation.

2 Replies 2
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Matt11  Good question.  I have to pay local taxes and I just incorporate it into my nightly price.  But then that means Airbnb is charging me the 3% on the money I pay for taxes.  Ugh! Don't have experience with VAT, but it would seem logical to allow a line item for taxes where the host could put in percentage.  Since local taxes are becoming so prevalent, maybe Airbnb is working on it?

Terry15
Level 2
Houston, TX

VRBO does - someday Airbnb will catch up.  They want us to add it into our nightly rate - but that can reflect to a guest that our nightly rate is higher than others.... those who do not legally collect and pay taxes.