Why is Air bnb charging guests less than the stated amount in my host listing?

Kathryn33
Level 2
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom

Why is Air bnb charging guests less than the stated amount in my host listing?

This is the second time that Air BnB have charged guests less than the price I ask.  

The reduction is only 2% so the first time I accepted the booking presuming it was a glitch.  However within a matter of days the same thing happened.  This time for a single night at the weekend so there is no question of there being any mis understanding over discounts:  One would not be expected for a one night booking on a saturday.

I am going to reject this latest booking and tell the guest why.  The guest may try to re-book .  Then Air BnB will have a second opportunity to get the billing right.  

For Air BnB  to remain to be seen as a company with professional standards of conduct it needs to routinely re-imburse all hosts the money  any inaccuracies in its billing is costing.  Also it needs to clearly provide a contact number otherwise an emailing system that replies promptly to hosts' legitimate financial concerns.

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

1. Hi @Kathryn33  Many, many postings on this very issue with some explanantions provided.  Primarily it has to do with Air BNB converting all rates into US dollars not matter what the currency, then converting back into the host currency and rounding up or dowm.  Due to fluctuating international currency exchange non- US hosts will see small but significant changes in the payout.  Look through the other discussion threads on this issue. 
Kathryn33
Level 2
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom

Thanks for the info.  

Seeing as it is so widely recognised that when producing host payment schedules in local currency, Air BnB's behind the scenes conversion to and from US$ during the process is producing errors; perhaps  Air BnB would consider changing to a system that doesn't therefore producing an accurate payment schedule.

Automated transfers should be all but simultaneous so fluctuations in exchange rates ought not be pertinent to the discrepancy. 

Finally guests expect to pay exchange rate costs,  not hosts, as any regular user of overseas hotels will confirm.  Which is possibly part of the reason why Air BnB charges guests  more than double the commission of Air BnB hosts.

Anna-Marie0
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Hi - I have had the same thing with the currency conversion but what I am also experiencing now is that with the dynamic pricing switched on it is ignoring my weekend pricing and selling rooms at my minimum base rate for week nights. Going to raise that with the help centre as may be a bug. If not fixed I will go back to manual pricing.

yes the same thing is happening to me so not only did i not get my weekend rate right they completely ignored the fact that an extra guest is extra $10per night so i have missed out on that as it lshould have been at least $56 and they only quoted $35 !!!!!!!!

Im flabbergasted..... where do i go for help????????

@D-Anne0  I see that this listing is a new one for you but you are a experienced host.  I am wondering if you meant for there to be a single night minimum for Friday and Saturday.  I usually see weekend minimum is 2 days.  Otherwise a guest could book Thursday and Friday with the rate being shown as the average of the weekday rate and the weekend rate.  Anyway, when the automated payment system has not correctly picked up my rate, I contact Air BNB directly and the custome service quickly corrects.  In case you don't have the contact information, here is a link to a guide for contacting:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M...

Good luck!

Easterly0
Level 1
Herne Bay, United Kingdom

Hi Anna Marie

this is exactly the problem I am having and I am loosing hundreds of pounds. Did you find out how to get this corrected?