Smoking Weed - how to communicate listing description?

Answered!
George19
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Smoking Weed - how to communicate listing description?

Hi there.

I'm a host that doesn't mind guests smoking Marijuana in my house, since it is legal in my state. That being said, I don't want to allow any other type of smoking at all. Tobacco or otherwise.

What is the best way to put this in my listing?

I feel childish referring to Marijuana as anything but what it is, and I don't allow guests under 18. I just don't want to open the doors for any illicit drug usage, or tobacco use inside my home.

1 Best Answer
Daniel1
Level 4
Portland, OR

Weed is legal in Oregon too. I put in my house rules that smoking and vaping is an outdoor activity. I invite "imbibers" to smoke/vape in an area outside in our backyard only.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Bri2
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I would just say no illegal drugs or tobacco smoking on premise.

Daniel1
Level 4
Portland, OR

Weed is legal in Oregon too. I put in my house rules that smoking and vaping is an outdoor activity. I invite "imbibers" to smoke/vape in an area outside in our backyard only.

Tiffany-Cheri0
Level 2
Portland, OR

I have three different listings with three different aspects on this based on the other housemates choices despite it being legal in Oregon.

One property is completley smoke free everywhere and it is listied in the house manual, mentioned upon check in and in the confirmation email. A recent guest actually commented in their private review that they thought allowing alcohol but not marijuana was hypocritical. 

Another is separate spaces within a very large mansion, and it is "green" friendly but with a "don't ask don't tell policy." Only if people ask us do we say yes in private, as there is a little girl who lives in the top floor apartment with her father the owner of the home.  One guy on a cross country roadtrip asked upong checkin at the smoke free house if there was anywhere he could smoke weed and I had to tell him no but if he wanted to stay longer I could move him to a home that was.  I moved him to this mansion and he arrived with a box of VooDoo donuts to share.

And another is a room within a medical family home and I have it listed as green friendly in the house manual, along with drinking and cooking meat allowed but no other drug use including tobacco. 

Each home and each human is unique.  It is better that we have this legal and have an open conversation about such things thn to kep it in the shadows and unknown. 

Cheers!

Sophia7
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

I state: 

"Smoking (of any type) not allowed inside, please smoke (describe designated area), and put your butts out (wherever you want them to). 

Illegal drugs are not permitted anywhere on the premise." 

I have even gone as far as saying if you are an american citizen, you must be 21 to stay here (because I have had issues with underage drinking- even tho I live on the premise!).

Kristen7
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Why don't you just say " No tobacco smoking on premise."  Period.  Shouldn't not using illegal substances already be implied?

If there is one thing I have learned during my four years of hosting, NOTHING is implied!

Diane15
Level 6
Spokane, WA

I live in the same state and Guests smoking weed is a TERRIBLE problem! The STINK itt leaves is awful. There is also a residue that pot and tobacco leave on the walls, floor, furniture, etc.

You are doing your property a disservice by allowing weed. And if they smoke weed, they will most certainly smoke tobacco if they are cigarette smokers.

As I type this my eyes are stinging, from the pot and cigarettes that the Guests 3 floors down are smoking. The smell is disgusting.

I will be keeping 100% of their security deposit.

Also note, Airbnb does NOT consider weed or cigarette smell damage that is covered under their "$1 Million damage" policy.

I found out the hard way after I had to pay out of pocket for hundreds of dollars in cleaning.

Needless to say, I've increased my security deposit.

Good luck.

Sara229
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi All

I am a Host with multiple listings in Atlanta 

I have a host that is staying in one of our homes this weekend , smoking pot , we just got off the phone with airbnb - they say if they ask to the guest to leave due to breaking the house rules they will refund the guest the full amount of his stay . 

I am very dissapointed with this answer.

anyone here had that issue? we also wont be able to get his security deposit , as airbnb  does not cover smoke damage- we will have to send cleaning crew which will cost  a lot of money to get this horrible smell out

any tips on how to resolve the problem will be highly appreciated

Jason-and-Carolina0
Level 3
Oregon, United States

This is an ongoing issue. Deposit is not a true deposit but rather something the guest must authorize. By definition that is not a secure deposit. Sure hope Airbnb can fix this so hosts who have smoking/additional cleaning and deodorizing issues can quit taking a loss on these kinda guests!!!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@George19 , I think your asking for trouble allowing smoking anything in the house cause even if its ok for you, the non smoking guest that follows a shake and baker may not be so open minded.    Thats your choice and legal in your state so the phrase you can put in your description would be "This home is 420 friendly, consumption of legal Marijuana by adults is allowed by the state and host".    I think personally it would be more advisable to suggest outdoor use but its your home and your choice.   Good luck, stay well, JR