Wow... We hosts like to think everything is a "bad" guest's fault, but maybe sometimes it's us...

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Wow... We hosts like to think everything is a "bad" guest's fault, but maybe sometimes it's us...

This is gonna be controversial, however I am gonna say something I've seen a lot of in the month or two I've been reading these forums. Hosts SOMETIMES don't understand what they're getting into... and thus SOMETIMES encourage the issues they try to avoid.

From "I don't know how to get paid" to "What do I do when a guest takes something" to "should I let a guest bring more people?" To "What happens when a guest damages something?" 

These things are all covered in all the FAQ's. Sometimes I feel so tired answering questions from hosts that should've known to read, read, read BEFORE they rent. Hosts must know what they're getting into before they try to become a host.

I have been getting a studio available to rent and read all I could from the forums, help site, and google - in general. I am BY NO MEANS perfect, but I *do* know that before I open my home to guests I want to know what I am getting in to. So, I read and read and read. I answered questions so fast (and I hope so well) that I went from a Level 1 here to a Level 10 in a couple weeks...all without being flamed for answering OBVIOUSLY wrongly.

I think in the rush to make money - certain hosts skip the basics, and thus let guests act badly...thus causing more trouble for the other hosts here.

WITHOUT FLAMING ME...please, do others even SEMI-agree? MAYBE AirBnB should have a online training program that hosts are required to take ...with tests... to ensure we know what to do to uphold standards we all try to achieve. 

Don't get me wrong... I know hosting is scary. I know there are situations we all need help with - that's why the forums are here. BUT THERE IS A SEARCH. There is a way to find out what you need without making an ALL CAPS post "THEY STOLE MY MING VASE: What do i do?"

Is it just me or is this happening a lot more lately? If not, fine. But I sense a trend.

21 Replies 21

WOW! @Sergio235: Just remember some of us subscribe to threads and can see ALL of your "posts" followed by your *6* edits - cos they ALL GET SENT in emails to us the MINUTE you hit "POST"! I think *you* need a hobby! Suggestion: Say what you mean the first time, instead of 6 edits in order to be yet more and more vulgar!

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 9.16.26 PM.png

duplicated post...sorry...

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Jann3 It's not a new trend but it's definitely a trend. We haven't been hosts all that long (a little over a year) but ever since I first came to the community forum, those shreaky new host posts have been a thing. "More guests showed up than were booked!", "how do I get paid?", "when do I get paid?", "guest stole my iphone charger!", "how do I contact Airbnb?", over and over and over again. They don't seem to "get" that typing their question into the little search box would bring up 50,000 similar posts, all answered by the saints (usually the same ones) who frequent this forum.

I think it's just a personality issue - some of us are careful, cautious souls & we like to know what we're getting into, so we do our research and we read, read, read. We read the entire Help section before our listing goes live. Even so, we still fall into a few of the snake pits - or would, if we didn't keep up with reading the community posts here as well. It's not easy being an Airbnb host, its a very steep learning curve.

And then there are others who are the "throw caution to the wind, fly by the seat of their pants" types - and those end up in trouble really, really quickly and post their ALL CAPS questions here. I think they will always be among us. Bless their pointed little heads 😉

-Karen

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Like you, I'm in the midst of preparing a studio apartment for rental. I have spent the past few months reading as much as possible about the experience. I know when to expect payment, where to go to update cleaning fees, how to address the no pet fee problems, etc.  Everything I've wanted to know was pretty easy to find in a search. My biggest stumbling block has been that I can't figure out how to read old newsletters, the headlines in a bunch of the old ones seem very informative but alas I seem to not have access. 

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Yes, @Jann3, I have to agree. Many hosts don't seem to think much before they put up their listing. I love the idea of the new host tutorial. And so many post here with questions that have been asked and answered 100 times. But they don't bother searching, just want a fast answer to their issue. I always am amazed at hosts who don't reside near their property, rent a whole place out to 8 people and are surprised when there are parties and trouble and a lot more people than were registered. Sure, it is lucrative to host such big groups, but with no eyes on the place and only the report of the cleaning lady to rely on, it a recipe for disaster. Yet these hosts seem so surprised that it didn't go well!  Do they think their 8 guests will sit around talking about the house rules?  Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves.

Hi @Kate157 I hear you! The listing you described is ours to a "T". We knew it could be risky and always had a very strongly worded sentence about no unconfirmed guests - but there was no internet service in our area, so we couldn't take the only viable option, which is to install a security camera. Since then, internet service has arrived at our little hamlet & we now have a working security camera. In hindsight, I would never have listed without one. I know we were just lucky, even though we tried to do things as safely as possible, things could have gone sideways.

In the beginning, we had a fellow host who lives nearby drop around to check & do a head count after the guests had let us know they arrived. Some of our very early guests had their (albeit very small) wedding there - we have no parties or events on our listing & think a wedding is both a party AND an event! but that didn't seem to sink in with these guests. When checked, there were no additional people there, and they didn't have additional guests except for the minister or Justice of the Peace & the photographer. We had no idea that was what they were planning until they later sent us a wedding photo! They still didn't "get" that they broke a major house rule.

In the end, the joke was on them because were blissfully unaware that they had their wedding photos taken on top of our septic field. 😄 😄 - Karen

Diane-And-John0
Level 2
Saranac Lake, NY

I started hosting over 5 years ago, there were no forums or FAQS, I really did not know the full extent of what I was getting into! Yet, I have been a superhost for years. I provide lots of information on our property listing, more info in the house rules, and more info when guests arrive. It is really important that people know exactly what to expect when they arrive at our property. Though our property is a few miles from our home, and I have another business, I make sure to meet every guest when they arrive. This has made a big difference in how our cabin is treated. I think our guests realize how much we care about them enjoying their stay, and how much we love our cabin, it is truly our second home.  I've only had to write one bad review, and have only had a few guests that I wouldn't want to see again. There has been some damage and breakage over the years, but it has been minimal. As long as it is normal wear and tear and doesn't seem mailicous we aren't going to ask for any money.

You have to expect some things to happen when you host guests. I think a lot of people are jumping in just to make some money and aren't thinking so much as a host as a business. Those folks are going to have problems.  We need the income to keep from selling our cabin, yet we can't use it all the time so we might as well let others enjoy it.

I have to run and clean our cabin, more guests arriving in a few hours!