blocking dates after cancelation

Michel136
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

blocking dates after cancelation

My guest asked me to cancel which i did and now the date is blocked. How can i change that ? This is right in April which is the busiest days to host and it was on request of the guest which i have on email.  I am a new host. thx Michel

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@ Michael -  you fell for the trick which means you did the cancelling so your calendar is blocked and you get a financial penalty. Contact AirBnB and explain what happened and see if they will unblock the caldendar, etc..

Thank you. How do i contact airbnb... can't find it anywhere. I am located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Thx Michel

You can easily do a web search for the contact number in your country.

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

NEVER CANCEL

you got screwed

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Michel136

There's also a local group

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Amsterdam/ct-p/Amsterdam

as well as an Amsterdam group on Facebook.

That's where you can also connect and inquire about such things as local rental laws too.

Like the 60-day limit for renting out whole houses, apartments, and house boats, about the mandatory registration with the gemeentes, and the maximum number of 4 allowed guests. Otherwise hosts risk huge fines, especially now that the Gemeente is combing through the website for all the listings not adhering to their regulations.

Michel136
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Dear Andrea, thank you for the info. I am not located in Amsterdam it self, but in a little village outside city borders of  Amsterdam so luckily i don't fall under the  Amsterdam gemeent rules (60 days, max 4 guests etc.). Regards, Michel

Gina79
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Hello,

New to Airbnb and had NO clue about the cancellation rules and fees.  They are absured, btw but when your not even aware of the issue it puts us hosts in very uncomfortable circumstances. 

So, I was just HUNG UP ON by an Airbnb "supervisor" for trying to get blocked dates by them, unblocked.  First, I did not know of this rule/policy at all.  As part of being a host...this should have been in CAPS, BOLD and made us sign to agree to it.  Second, I literally cancelled the reservation in question within mere minutes of the booking.  I proceeded to tell the guest how sorry I was and gave him options of other hosts in my area.   Third,  after holding on the phone for 30 min...the Airbnb "supervisor" told me she could not do anything at this time and that it had to go to a "special team".  Then she couldn't even tell me anything regarding how long it would take to release these dates.  And Fourth, she would not let me speak to her boss or anyone above her and then HUNG UP ON ME. 

VERY UNHAPPY and I've only been here for 3 weeks.  Any advice?

@Gina79 

To be fair it is clearly spelt out on the web site, the usual recommendation is to snooze your listing, work out how AirBnb operates as if you missed this there are probably other things you missed as well. Many of the common problem areas are frequently discussed in this forum as well.

There is no way I have come across of getting through to the special team or supervisor.

Why did you cancel?

David