can't view my listing

Liana0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

can't view my listing

I am unable to find my listing when searching in my area. I have seen from other peoples message boards that they have the same issue but is there a way to pay to advertise further up the list? or an easier way for people to find you when looking for a flat in your area?

28 Replies 28
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Liana0 Hi there!  I did a search using the price perameters of $220 - $282 and your listing came up in the first posittion, so you are definitely there!  Keep in mind that guests use search filters like price, amenities, location, etc.  You are in good shape!

As for paying for better search results, that's not an option on Airbnb.  

Liana0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

thank you so much for your help! Good to know others can see it!! 🙂

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've had an issue where my listing doesn't show up in search results when I know it should. I'm not even talking about the first page or second page; it's just not there, period. I have emailed airbnb several times when this happens, and they can't replicate it on their end but just give me tips for making my listing better. That doesn't help, because it's a problem with the Airbnb system, not me. I've also heard this complaint on other forums. My best guess is that Airbnb is trying to limit search results so that guests don't become overwhelmed.

@Lisa7, tell me which listing isn't showing up and I'll take a look on search for you.  

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That's the thing, @Clare0. I can't replicate it on demand. I just know that it has happened. And I am sure that all of my search settings were correct.

That said, the listing that I'm most concerned about is titled "Amazing Flat in Hip London Area."

I'm sure you'll be able to find it in a search. (Because that's always the way, right? Doesn't rain when you remember your umbrella.)

@Lisa7 You're funny! Yep, I did a search with a price filter between $$133 and  $236 for 4 people and your listing is in the second slot on the first page!

If you are slogging through all 300 listings (there are probably 3 times that many in London) you might not see your listing.  But, if you were to search like a guest would, then you will.  Guests filter their searches by location, price, amenities and quite often Instant Book which you have.   If I were a guest, I would not search without any filters as you may have done.  I wouldn't get past the 3rd page!

So there you have it.  You are in fine shape!  

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Right. But I promise you, @Clare0, I wasn't slogging through 300 listings. When logged out, I searched dates I knew my listing was available, set it for four guests to narrow the listings (mine accommodates 7), widened the map to make sure that I included enough of my neighborhood that I didn't somehow nick off my listing, and got 21 results (see below). So it wasn't very hard to scroll through and see that one of my listings didn't appear at all. (The new one I was most concerned about.) The point is that this is an issue that actually is a problem, and it's hard to replicate, and I'm sure that someone at Airbnb knows that this happens. It has to be a conscious choice programmed in.

Support told me three things I find hard to swallow:

1. "it's harder for hosts to find their own listing because our system processes your search request thinking you're looking for listings not managed by you." Two things about that. One, I wasn't logged in. Two, when I AM logged in, my listings routinely show up first and second in search results. So I call BS.
  2. "However, as long as your listings are listed on our site (and all four of yours are), they will definitely appear in search results." Demonstrably false.
  3. "Our search algorithm is user specific. It takes into consideration your status as a host or guest, your current location, and your previous trips. It is also designed for browsing, not for finding specific listings." This makes me think that there are times that the algorithm filters out listings. This suspicion is bolstered by Airbnb's survey that asks users specifically if they feel "overwhelmed" by the number of listings. I suspect they're testing what happens if they reduce the listings shown.

no show.png

@Lisa7 You may be right.  I think Airbnb has different servers in AU and other parts of the world so what I'm seeing in the US may be different from your experience.  Not being on the "inside" at Airbnb, I can't explain why you are having this problem.  😞

Hello,

I am having similar problem. My Airbnb listing is showing as listed, but I can't find my listing when I log in as guest. I called the airbnb phone number and they said they would put in a ticket, but not sure what that will be resolved, and everyday that my listing does not appear is money lost. 

Do you have any idea how I can fix this issue sooner?

Thanks

Grace

I have the same problem and so frustrated that I am going to quit airbnb

@Henry-and-Leona0 — Do you know your listings have a 30 night minimum stay? That's very long for Airbnb. You're probably not going to find it in search results unless you do a search for a stay for more than 30 days. There's a lot of competition in your area.

When I searched for a month in Gilbert and narrowed the price band to fit one of your listings, it was the fourth result. (See picture.)

My advice would be to shorten your minimum stay and get a few guests & reviews under your belt.

@Henry-and-Leona0 Both your listings are showing in search results.  Here are my search links:

http://tinyurl.com/z6gc48f

http://tinyurl.com/jcqz8yr

Note the dates I used and the price range selected. 

With so many listings of the same type in your area, you need to use guest preferences (filters) when searching for your listings. 

I hope this helps!

Lisa, 

I'm having the exact same problem with my listings:  
   HH Whitney House Bed & Breakfast on the Historic Esplanade 
   HH Whitney House - adjoining 2 bedrooms with bath

Sometimes one shows up, but not the other, sometimes both, and other times neither.  I'm doing very specific neighborhood searches using the map and also specifying either 4 or 10 guests, which are my maximums for the adjoining rooms or the whole house, respectively.  I'm also searching for dates which I know are available on the calendars (July 10-16, 2017).  It's very frustrating to see 17 properties show up in my neighborhood search when my fully licensed B&B that I've operated for 20 years is missing from the results.  I'm trying to compete with all of these newcomers to the market, but AirBnB is not making it easy!

Glen

We had the same problem. This is what we finally found:

Airbnb has many many listings, especially in larger communities. You will notice that they only show about 60 lisings at a time.( We could be wrong with this number)  This means that all the others are not available for viewing. Paris for instance has thousands of listing  and consequently more than 90-95 % of the lisings are not showing at one time. VRBO from our experience shows all the lisings regardless of how many are available in a community. We are not too happy about this practice either and are looking at other alternatives--and there are many

Henry Edmonton, alberta, Canada