cancellation due to weather

Lauren-and-Sam0
Level 2
Winston-Salem, NC

cancellation due to weather

A guest was supposed to arrive tonight from FLorida (we are in North Carolina).  They watched the weather and tracked Hurricane Matthew and decided this morning that it wouldnt be a good idea to drive here, although the weather here is fine and the weather in their hometown is ok (it was the roads in between they were worried about).  They are requestiong a full refund.  I'm torn - we are fully booked all weekends this month and this weekend is parents weekend at the local university, so all hotels are booked.  this means we could have rented the room if they hadnt booked a month ago.  However, I understand wanting to play it safe and not drive on roads that may be less than ideal.  Thoughts?  What should I do?  Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

They can cancel and get a refund according to your cancellation policy.  

Claiming extenuating circumstances when there are none is just a lame excuse.

Vicki38
Level 1
Dallas, GA

Treat them the way you would want to be treated or how you would want your mom treated. That is the essence of good customer service 

North Carolina has been under a state of Emergency since Tuesday. Hurricane Matthew has been all over the news for over a week - especially in FL.  Deciding at the last minute to change their trip was their decision and they should cancel their reservation.  Do not cancel for them.  Do not accept any emails from Airbnb asking if it's okay to cancel (because you are not okay with it and do not want to be penalized).  Send them this information: Here is how you cancel your reservation: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/169/cancel-a-reservation-as-a-guest

Assuming all your listings have the same cancellation policy, your moderate policy says you are entitled to some of the money if they cancel. This policy exists exactly for the reason you are describing - that you have an opportunity cost that adversely affects you when a guest cancels last minute.  

Now you should encourage them to ask Airbnb for a refund based on Extenuating Circumstances. You do not have any say in whether the guest can receive a full refund under that policy - that is up to Airbnb. 

Personally, I would say no because you are already into the weekend.  They waited too long too make this choice.  Even a week ago, when everyone knew Matthew was coming, they should have made a decision.  Of course, if Airbnb says it's okay, well, you won't get paid anyway from what I can tell (there is a discussion about this elsewhere going on right now). 

BTW, this is exactly what Travel Insurance is for - to cover you in the case of an unforseen situation.  My guess is that they didn't buy any for this trip. That doesn't mean you have to pay for their decision not to chance the roads (which, btw, are probably totally okay - everything here in Durham is just fine too).  

There's an old phrase, "Failure to plan on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part." and I think that sort of applies here. 

Vaalea0
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

It would be nice if there was some way of not cancelling the existing reservation but having the listing active again so that if, as you say, all the hotels are booked there may be a good chance someone would rent it? A way that you can accept a cancellation IF you are able to find someone acceptable to replace them. That way they would only be on the hook for it if you are unable to rent it out....? Maybe a new feature for Airbnb to consider...

hey,

My guests flight has been cancelled yesterday and today and they're not coming  but they haven't cancelled! Does anyone know a way to open up my calendar so I can cut my losses if airbnb decides to refund them?