electricity payment on consumption

Answered!
Paolo9
Level 2
Sosúa, Dominican Republic

electricity payment on consumption

Hello to everybody!

Any of you charges electricity separately on consumption?

If yes do you ask a deposit when guests come in?

1 Best Answer

@Мөнхжин0 

Electricity can be very expensive in some locations. I can easily understand how a guest can use 20% of what a host is going to get paid each day, just in electricity cost, we in my state of South Australia are in that exact position. I can understand some hosts putting restriction on the amount a of power a guest can use. Some guests are power vandals, they will go out for the afternoon and evening, but not before they wind the air conditioning thermostat to it's maximum so they will have a toasty warm, (or freezing cold in summer) place to come back to.....they just simply waste power.

Having said that, the owner must state one of two options in the listing description.

1/.....Additional electricity will be charged to the guest on a usage basis.

2/....Electricity usage has been allowed for in the nightly listing amount.

The host has a right to expect the guest to be fair but, has no right to spring an undisclosed cost on the guest with no warning!

From what you are describing , the host does sound unreasonable and I would advise that you dispute this charge with the host telling her she is not entitled to make additional charges that she did not previously mention and let her fight for it through the Airbnb resolution centre!

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34

Sorry @Ann44

i do not think as you do even if i understand the whole idea.

AC is bad for the planet. 

It is not because someone use it more than another that it is a good thing for the planet.

As a matter of fact, it is one of the stupidest human invention.
And one of the reason why USA is the bigger pulluting country of the planet and definitly not a exemple to follow.

If you choose to spend your holydays in a hot country (like me), you accept to have a hot weather.
When i arrive in a hot country , i turn down the AC. I choosed the country to be warm. Not to live in a freezer.

You propose the AC. So people will use it.

And guests who choose you place for the AC will use it a lot and sometimes in a silly way because they do not care a bit for the planet.
So you can hardly complain.

Or remove the AC from your equipments and you may have guests for whom it is not so important (like me) and propose them as a good surprise.

Hi Nathalie

But if it is 35 degrees and up Celsius somedays?

And it is a family with kids. And no AC.......

Can I let the gusts call you then, for you to explain in a pedagogic way:)

But thanks, next time travel to Thailand from Europe, I use my bike.

You should too.

Ann:)

i would love to come to Thailand in biking. So many great places to visit.

"But if it is 35 degrees and up Celsius somedays?"

and how human beings did for 5000 years without AC?

In 150 years, we have succeded to destroy the planet.

If you cannot bear hot weather, you do not go to Thailand (except stupid people).

Norway and Sweden are nice countries to visit too.

Hi Ann - actually the best option if people are so concerned about their carbon footprint is to simply not rent out rooms/units, as each rental tends to (slightly) lower the cost of travel, and thus create more travelers.  The carbon footprint of traveling to Thailand from Europe (or the US) is much, much, bigger than a week of AC at the destination.  I'm surprised that concerned hosts don't realize that...or perhaps they're falling victim to capitalist greed?

Hi, Ann

Isn't a digital meter the solution for this? Just note the reading when a guest checks in and when they check out and charge them as per usage. Or am I missing something? Am new to this.

Electricity is high in your country because the government is corrupt. In most western countries - electricity is a basic commodity like water and gas, and doesn’t cost much. As a guest, I’d like to know all costs in advance, upfront. Can one live at your country comfortably WITHOUT an AC? And why on earth should your guest expect that in your country Electricity would be so expensive? And why do want to “educate” your guests on frugality. They are on vacation, for crying out loud. Bottom line, Guests don’t like surprises. If you seek good reviews you have to include ALL costs. And... ask yourself and your fellow countrymen WHY electricity prices are skyrocketing at your country. That is the root cause

When you have a home in the Caribbean there is no typical “average” the average is 300.00 a month and if it’s set just a few degrees higher the bill could be close to 2000.00 a month.. that’s the problem with setting an average it depends on the country we are trying with the nest app and this still isn’t working even when we set it nightly 

Martin425
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

I have the same problem. We are renting out a summerhouse also in winther months, and the electricity bill can vary very much (between 4 euro per day up to 30 ! - has happened, if full blast on all electricity). The electricity can spoil the whole profit and there is a vast difference in how people economize on this. 

So we use security deposit and agree with the renter on beforehand.

We also considered to remove the expensive electrical heaters, though they are nice to have around.

How would you deal with this problem?

PS: we do not charge separately for electricity in summer months

Hi Martin! We have a house on Sjællands Odde with EL heating, whirlpool and sauna. We inform new guests that they need to read the power consumption and leave 2.50DKK per kwh. That works.

@Oad0 

AC is a disaster for the Earth.

For centuries there were no AC and people did not mind.

Hosts have the right to educate and regulate bad consumers (being in holidays is no excuse).

If one don't bear hot temperatures, he can go to Norway.

Don't go in hot countries if you look for low temperatures.

@Paolo9 

you can send a request for reimbursment but the traveller is not obliged to pay.

@Oad0  is right is saying it is easier to incude it in the price because the host is sure to be paid.

Another solution is to NOT check AC box in the equipments and write the price in the house rules.

So you can send a special offer for people who want it.

Or they pay more in advance with a special offer and you can send a reimbursement.

Or they pay less because they consume stupidly and you warn them they consumed it all and the AC will be cut.

When they check in, you can show them how to follow their consumption of electricty during their stay and warn them of the red line so accounts are clear.

But clearly , Airbnb is all costs included.

You may have bad reviews for hidden costs.

Be cristal clear in your listing and emails and don't check the AC box in the equipment if it is not included.

Vibse0
Level 1
Copenhagen, DK

I have a house in Spain and during the summer months take duvets off the beds and just provide a duvet cover on the beds which is more than adequate when the temperature gets up about 30 degrees, but then guests take the duvets out of the cupboards, use them at night whilst running the aircons at 21 degrees, totally illogical but what is the solution to this idiocy ?

@Vibse0 

don't leave any duvet in july and august.

The sheet and bedspread are enough.

Or take control of the AC by internet.

Мөнхжин0
Level 2
Ulaanbaatar, MN

I rented a room in a house for month. And there is around 20’F at nights outside. So in the 2nd day I asked about extra blankets, because host gave me really tiny one. She said that it’s not cold. There was another blankets in other empty rooms, but she said I can’t use them. So 10 days ago I raised a house temperature from 68 to 70. And now she want to take 100$ from me. Plus I am here until tomorrow, but she turned off wifi and almost threw up my toothbrush and other things? I don’t have to pay it, right? For me it’s super rude.

@Мөнхжин0 

Electricity can be very expensive in some locations. I can easily understand how a guest can use 20% of what a host is going to get paid each day, just in electricity cost, we in my state of South Australia are in that exact position. I can understand some hosts putting restriction on the amount a of power a guest can use. Some guests are power vandals, they will go out for the afternoon and evening, but not before they wind the air conditioning thermostat to it's maximum so they will have a toasty warm, (or freezing cold in summer) place to come back to.....they just simply waste power.

Having said that, the owner must state one of two options in the listing description.

1/.....Additional electricity will be charged to the guest on a usage basis.

2/....Electricity usage has been allowed for in the nightly listing amount.

The host has a right to expect the guest to be fair but, has no right to spring an undisclosed cost on the guest with no warning!

From what you are describing , the host does sound unreasonable and I would advise that you dispute this charge with the host telling her she is not entitled to make additional charges that she did not previously mention and let her fight for it through the Airbnb resolution centre!

Cheers......Rob