guests who have booked the wrong room

Stephen-And-Etty0
Level 2
Rotorua, New Zealand

guests who have booked the wrong room

i run 3 Airbnb units , all are different types and prices.   today i had a couple who thought they had booked a room with its own ensuite($125) but in fact they booked the upstairs room with shared bathroom($95)  they were very abusive and wouldn't listen to reason at all , they made the mistake themselves , the worst part is they reduced my 72 yo cleaning lady to tears with their rudeness.

i contacted my neighbour who has an ensuite room and relocated them there at my loss ($50 / night) just to help them out. i could have told them to go away ,    160 guest bookings at 4.9 star . . . . then this!!!     

what would you have done??  what could i have done?           cheers   Steve

17 Replies 17

I would have given them a free room at another time{happened to me one time}.  The people arrived 3 months later and they had a free night.  Actually,  If i remember right they rebooked in ANOTHER 3 months..  If it was a ONE TIME STAY in your local area, I would have asked what they wanted to resolve the situation {other than ousting the booked couple in the right room}.  Chalk it up for experience..  THEN,,,,I would have taken a RELOOK at my multiple listings and UPDATE the description to "PLEASE>>>>> I have 3 listing,,,,, BEFORE you confirm your booking ,,,,PLEASE make sure it is the SAME ROOM/CONDO that you want me to host you at!!!!"  Then you have a comback to THEIR error with NO words to explain yourself..

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A few years ago, I had a guest who booked one of the private rooms in my homeshare. However, when I showed her the room, she made a strange face, which is not the reaction I usually get! I asked her what was wrong and she said, "This is not the room I booked." I assured her it was. "No," she said, "I booked the pink room." 

I explained that I did not have a pink room. Maybe she was thinking of another listing she looked at while searching? No, she insisted she booked a pink room at my house. So, I asked her to show me the listing she booked and the photos. She searched on her phone and showed me the pictures. 

I then went on to point out every corner of the room and how it was exactly the same as the pictures, bar the bedspread, which was gold on the day she checked in (not lilac as in the photo). She admitted that it was indeed the same room and that was the end of the discussion.

While I can imagine that the room might appear slightly pinkish depending on your screen/monitor, I can assure you that the room was almost exactly the same as in the photo the guest checked in. The only difference was the bed linen, and naturally I have more than one set and update sets due to wear and tear.

Some guests are just clueless I am afraid.

2nd floor.jpg

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

One thing I learned from hosting for the past 5 years is that NEVER BOW TO ABUSIVE GUESTS!  Those people would push you for anything you can offer. For the situation, if they are not happy with the accommodation, simply ask them to choose to either stay or find other accommodation. The only thing you need to decide is whether to give them partial refund. What I usually do is that I tell them since it's not my fault I would give them the chance, that if anyone else books the cancelled night they will be refunded, otherwise no.