help me rate this guest

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

help me rate this guest

Hi. I have this dilemma: a guy booked me for one night and then a few days later he booked me for 5 nights. He has 5 5 star reviews. Yet this morning he woke me up by talking on the phone at 5:50am loudly from his bedroom and then watching a movie as loudly on his laptop. I am struggling with insomnia and last night I couldn't sleep until 2 am. How should I rate this guy given the fact he will stay with me for 5 days in the upcoming week? As I'm Writing this he is talking to someone. Probably Skype-ing. How inconsiderate can someone be. He could have talked on the phone and watch the movie downstairs. how should I rate him? If I wait 14 days he is going to be here for his second stay and will see what I wrote before giving me his second review. Thanks

9 Replies 9
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

He might not realise that his noise is carrying. Maybe his bedroom at home is not close to other bedrooms.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Adriana100 ,

You could mention his disturbing behavior in Your second review only.

I must say though that this wasn't real bad misbehaviour. If something like this would be the biggest problem with a guest that I have I'd be more than happy.

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

@Ute0 I agree. For the rest he's fine, took the shoes off, washed his plates, cleaned after himself, so really no complains. But it was a thread somewhere: would I want this guest back. No. He's a 4 star guest, not 5 for this reason. I guess today I'll add a new house rule: silence between 11pm-8am.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Adriana100 you might consider changing to a 2 night minimum stay. This way, in the future, if you get an inconsiderate guest, then you can suggest some behavior changes to make the stay more pleasant.  

This guest might be hard of hearing, thus talks loud and may not even realize it. Or he is just inconsiderate. 

I would review him right away in the hopes that he will review you, too. He then will decide whether he wants to cancel or keep his current reservation. Or you could review and call Airbnb and have them cancel for you. 

If you do keep the future reservation, make sure that you send him a note now stating the new Quiet Times. 

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

Or maybe... let him know that his voice and laptop sound carries, and ask him to take conversations or movies to the lounge, or lower the volume... or heck use earphones?  A refusal to rent to him in the future seems extreme.  

Now if you've let him know that his sound bothers you and he does nothing... that's a whole other story.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Adriana100   Yes, it's inconsiderate. An dsome people's voices are just loud and seem to carry, even if they aren't really being loud. But you could also do yourself a favor and use some earplugs.

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

Thanks guys, I decided not to review him based on the one night stay and review him after he leaves. I had the exact same problem with an Indian person last year. Im a programmer and I usually get along fine with fellow programers, I even welcome them to stay at my house and end up remaining in touch with them, but this one  was not polite. At 6 am he was talking in india so loud that my next door neighbor could hear it. I dont fill comfortable getting earplugs when it is them who should get headphones because it is my house.

@Adriana100  Yes of course you shouldn't HAVE to wear earplugs because a guest is being inconsiderately loud. That's a matter of principle, as opposed to a matter of actually being able to sleep undisturbed with earplugs. Personally , if I have a hard time changing things, I try to come up with a practical solution. 

FYI I'm also a bit of an insomniac and a light sleeper. I found that  wearing earplugs at night actually did a lot to improve my sleep, even if there was nothing loud going on around that night. I realized that I probably woke up at any little sound-a dog barking, a car going by, and by the time it woke me up, to the point that I was concious, it had already stopped.  Maybe try it, you might like it 🙂

@Adriana100   I find that many people are completely unaware of how loud they are to others until called on it.  For future, you could add a quiet time in your rules and reiterate it when they arrive,  ask them to use headphones if they are watching movies in their room. A white noise machine may also help.