hospitality standards

Beathome0
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

hospitality standards

Hello,

Can anyone teel me where it syays, on the hospitality standards, that the lack of hot water (for a partial period of a stay) is a direct violation of the hospitality standards with entitlement to full refund, even if the guest decides to stay for the entire period in the lodgement?

I appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,

Lúcia Furtado

10 Replies 10
Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Not sure where it is written, but I would have to assume that hot water is just standard unless otherwise stated in the description.  If my listing was without hot water I would immedietly offer a full refund for all days without hot water and even call airbnb and see if they can find other accomidations for the guests.  Not sure if they are entitled to a full refund on the entire stay if they choose to remain, but I think that is a judgement call.  I know as a guest I would really have trouble with no hot water for any portion of my stay.  But what was the cause?  Was it your hot water heater that failed?  Damage from another guest?  Did the gas get turned off do to repairs in the area and beyond your control?   The cause of the loss of hot water is definitally a factor.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Beathome0, you're a professional host, so you will have read the hospitality standards. You will know that the reason such issues as yours are arbitrated is because the scenarios vary so wildly. If you were promising every day that the hot water would be fixed soon, then the guest cannot be faulted for staying. If the guest broke the hot water heater, then it's a different case. If the guest was unhappy but refused to leave, then it is different again. 

Thanks for replying, but could please send me the link where it specifically says that as I have not found it.

Thanks in advance

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Beathome0

If you have ticked on the amenities list provided by air bnb that your accommodation has hot water......then at the time if booking the guest correctly saw there was hot water in your accomodation.

If your accommodation has no hot water, then I suggest you untick the hot water amenities box as it appears you as host are changing the goal posts of available amenities AFTER the booking was accepted.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Beathome0 If you state on your property that you provide it and when guests arrive and there is not hot water they deserve a refund. I haven't seen a property without hot water yet, it is basic standard so I believe they have the right to ask for their money back.

Beathome0
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

Naturally our property has hot water but there was mal function in the begining of the stay and explained to the guest that it need to be fixed but took a few days, it was very serious, we proprosed the guest to leave immeadiatly with refund but the guest opted to stay (knowing that it would take a while) and after the chcek-out the guest requested a full refund, which to us does seem like a very honest request given the handling of the situation.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

All I can suggest is you phone your local air bnb number by phone asap for advice.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Beathome0 I think you are tilting at windmills looking for such a link. Airbnb will make a decision and refund this guest according to their judgment regardless. I agree it is not nice behavior on the part of the guest, but you are going to be stuck with whatever Airbnb decides.  In a similar situation, I called Airbnb and insisted on having the guest rehomed and I think that was the right approach. They cancelled penalty-free (the only cancellation I have ever had to make) and rehomed the guest right away.

Andrew216
Level 5
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi. Did it break for a period? As far as I know (30 yrs hospitality) there is no law pertaining to this. I have no hot water in mine in the summer, but the shower is electric so it's never a problem.
Maybe offer a small refund ?

Josephine144
Level 2
Somerville, MA

Hi All the conversation seem helpful.  Hotwater is standard in the US major citiies,  I don't think I would stay if there is no hot water the whole time.  Staying after you were given the option and then asking for full refund ethical does not seem fair,  A small compensation might be okay.  Our city gave public notice for shut off ofwater due to works on the pipes for half the day and the water has since been promptly restored.  The other day, our toilet and bath pipes had serious blockages.  I have a maintenance insurance with a repair group, they worked on it nonstop for 2/3 days and restored it. Thank God, we were able to use the toilet with much helping in flushing when used but everything is back to normal.  However the company left a hole in the ceiling of the first floor apartment which will cost about $2000.00 to fix.  I have  a $500.00 deductable but I'm thankful for the promptness in which the problem was handled. I like to fix things like yesterday and I have great support.  Things are bound to happen but it is always best to have a plan to fix it immediately.  People on the go don't enjoy their stay compunded with maintenance and repair issues.  It takes the joy out of staying. I have a feeling they will accept a small compensation since they chose to stay.  Success to you!