host cancellation penalty

Robert57
Level 1
Titusville, FL

host cancellation penalty

My cabin was under remodeling and I had to cancel a reservation well in advance as the contractor wouldn't be finished in time.  airbnb charged me $50.  How do I protest this penalty?

3 Replies 3
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Robert57,

I am not sure if you can actually protest the penalty as this probably is not extenuating circumstances.  The best thing you could do is contact Airbnb and plead your case: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Kate120
Level 2
State College, PA

I got charged $100. for cancelling a reservation upon the request of my guest. This would have been my 4th guest. I am learning the hard way. I already lost out on the reservation. This doesn't seem fair. I'm not sure that I like the AirBnB program. I will consider switching over to VRBO.

I would check out VRBO the grassis not always greener.  They ar acting more and more like AIRBNB so some of these policies are probably not far off over there.  I use Homeaway (parent of VRBO) and I switched over to ArBNB (or supplemented my marketing by listing on both) because of issues I have having over there. First and formost the transition tothe Airbnb sytle of managing the business is not going smoothly. My inquiries adn conversions to bookings are way down.  

I've been renting for 10 years and the for rent by onwer market is changing fast and the owners are no longer the scarce treasure the the booking companies fought over we are now the commodity and the guest is King.   

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ